What's your all time favourite nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
Just curious what you think is the ultimate nakiri? Is it konosuke? Denka? Heiji? Let's have an exchange.

I just sold my moritaka. I've had it for a couple of years, and needed to let it go. Think I'm looking for something new, a nice performer for veggies.

Had AS Moritaka which was an excellent cutter, had Toyama carbon clad wuch I should have kept (200g), selling Takeda NAS which I thought I would never sell, but I got a thin Toyama stainless clad and I think I will end there. I had/tried some others, but Toyama works best for me.

What seems to be the most favored length in a nakiri?

Watanabe pro 180 used to be THE forum favourite. probably still is?
I can see why, but for some reason I can't seem to get quite the performance out of it that I expected to. Still great though.

I have handled only maybe 7 or 8 nakiris, but out of those my absolute favourite is Tanaka blue2 damascus 165. Was my first Nakiri years ago when Metalmaster used to sell them for 55$. Accidentally bumped into them and thought I'd try them out since they were so cheap. Had no expectations, but the performance just blew me away.

Don't use it that much these days, but every time I do it still manages to surprise me with it's performance every single time. Lovely little thing.

Tf maboroshi... Great food release, superb edge retention, perfect balance

180mm Watanabe Pro for me. The 165mm Masakage Koishi was my first entry into the world of nakiris and a nice knife too but the Wat is easily my favourite. Performance is on another level.

I'm not a huge nakiri fan and haven't tried a lot of them, but I'd have to say Kochi V2. I had one, sold it (because I wasn't a big fan of nakiri), but then missed it so much I tried to buy it back a year later (was rejected), then bought another when Jon found one stashed in his old forgotten stock.
20210110_171641.jpg

@Knivperson I have no favorite, but my ideal would be:

180mm x 70mm with finger inset/notch (so 165mm of useable length)
200g - 230g
Tapered grind like shig, but not as thick (taller at same weight means good plow through with less cracking)
Stainless cladding with Shirogami 1, Swedish, 52100, or AS.
Pointy-ish tip (like a moritaka, not like a Yaxell)

Still trying to find someone to make something like this, but we'll see.

@Knivperson I have no favorite, but my ideal would be:

180mm x 70mm with finger inset/notch (so 165mm of useable length)
200g - 230g
Tapered grind like shig, but not as thick (taller at same weight means good plow through with less cracking)
Stainless cladding with Shirogami 1, Swedish, 52100, or AS.
Pointy-ish tip (like a moritaka, not like a Yaxell)

Still trying to find someone to make something like this, but we'll see.

Have you tried the shigs? The kuro 180 specs are pretty nice (a touch more height would be ideal). Def on my list if they don't get silly expensive.

What difference do you feel?
The Watanabe is much heavier - 309 gm vs the 270 gm Toyama.

The Toyama is thinner and feels like it’s more nimble cutter. But the Wat seems like nothing can stop it -‘it just goes through large cabbages, carrots, butternut squash like they are ants

For some tasks I tend to prefer the Wat - for others, the Toyama

Great choice - am a huge Yanick fan and I think he is one of the best

Cheers! Yes, very happy with Yanick's knives.

There're soooooo many good choices out there, all with different characteristics. I never buy a knife thinking it'll be my one and only, I'd like to add to my nakiri arsenal.

Back