What's your favorite 150mm Petty Knife under $200

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maz all the way.
DD130BCF-F757-4CDE-BB1A-611F0F059B5F 2.jpeg

What’s the spine of that petty look like? I love the look of the new Maz but can’t imagine anything working better than the petty I’ve got. The suji is pretty wicked though

What’s the spine of that petty look like? I love the look of the new Maz but can’t imagine anything working better than the petty I’ve got. The suji is pretty wicked though

You referring to the thickness of the Maz petty spine? I'll have to check when home. I had two Maz pettys. the other was a kasumi from JNS, got rid of it and kept the KU.

Those Shihans look super cool, I've never seen that kind of banding in semi-stainless steels. Have I just been living under a rock or is Shihan doing something new/unusual here?
It's called carbide banding, don't understand the process well though so that's about all I got for you. Pretty sure Valgard has a post on his IG of an Ashi honyaki gyutohiki that shows similar carbide patterning so it's not like groundbreaking or anything. Definitely unique though.

Last edited:
It's called carbide banding, don't understand the process well though so that's about all I got for you. Pretty sure Valgard has a post on his IG of an Ashi honyaki gyutohiki that shows similar carbide patterning so it's not like groundbreaking or anything. Definitely unique though.

I think @timebard was making a point about it being semistainless. A lot of Ashi honyakis seem to have banding, it seems, but they’re not semistainless. I personally don’t know why it would be more surprising in a semistainless knife, but I don’t know anything.

Who are you referring to?

Seems like he’s slighting Shehan and Ashi for not knowing that carbide banding is a “bad thing”. I don’t know anything about it. Seems like it’s something that’s maybe theoretically bad, but doesn’t make a huge practical difference. There are a bunch of threads on it I guess. Although some of them seem to talk about alloy banding, which I guess is different than carbide banding. I have no idea how to recognize the difference visually tho.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/knife-alloy-banding-steel-segregation.33229/#post-497955

Some people seem to think it can make the steel less tough and make it behave less consistently or predictably. Like, if a there’s more carbon collecting in some band, maybe there’s less elsewhere, so the steel there won’t be as good. Idk anything tho, I’m just relaying the parts of what people say that seem believable to me.

Mutsumi Hinoura 150mm for 155 on Carbon. Shame about the ho-wood handle, but easily remedied I think. very tall at 40mm; I may pick one up myself

I really love the grinds on Hinoura, super easy to maintain and look amazing when polished.

According to an IG post by Shihan, there is literature showing that banding sites also are likely failure points on rotating beam tests, a situation where the steel is under pretty great stress. That doesn't really matter much for kitchen knives though.
I'm sure this Ashi would go for a hefty sum...

Some people seem to think it can make the steel less tough and make it behave less consistently or predictably. Like, if a there’s more carbon collecting in some band, maybe there’s less elsewhere, so the steel there won’t be as good. Idk anything tho, I’m just relaying the parts of what people say that seem believable to me.
Which people?

Got a link? Couldn’t find it. Curious what else he says.
It's a ways back, he mentions it at the last comment and doesn't say a ton. Also some more examples of smiths against the idea of banding in this post.

Reactions: ian
Yes I did. He said “some people”.I wanted to know who. Wasnt talking to you.

edit: why do we care what bloodroot thinks? Is that the best source available?
I mean if you want to be sciencey about it, then read some peer-reviewed material science literature about it and form your own opinions I guess. Although as I said, there is evidence showing that banding sites act as premature points of failure in high intensity stress tests. Here's some of the literature about it.
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-651X/25/1/015007https://www.researchgate.net/public...gregation_Induced_Banding_Phenomena_in_SteelsThe Detrimental Effect of Carbide Segregation - NSK Americashttps://www.nskamericas.com › americas_corporate

Let's be done with this tangent.

Last edited:
There was a forum by kevin cashen called hypefreeblades where this stuff was discussed. Cliffstamps has a forum, too.

As for an authority. . . I guess kevin cashen or Verhoven? Those are the names I've read most associated with this

I have a Maz 150mm and it's an excellent knife. Except it's *very* reactive, annoyingly so sometimes. It looks like this for about 15 seconds:

336DE34E-F53B-4FD9-B294-F1587BC294B5.jpeg

Though it does mean you can play around with some cool patina. This is after cutting up a chicken:

8F78AF59-8E77-4EF7-875E-30EBC549897E.jpeg

Last edited:
Funny how that "tangent" ended but apparently never began, and quotes people who apparently don't exist. Vandalism is rampant these days, I guess. </sarcasm>

Great question. So this will be for smaller tasks that I’d not want to get the larger gyuto dirty. moslty chopping on boards, onions, carving cooked protein etc. Any task that my 3.5” victorinox can’t handle.
Carbon or stainless?

Beautiful knives. I'm glad I went with Maz.

Maz is a solid choice indeed! Now wait 'til you get infected by the collecting bug, and start chasing a Raquin, Yanick, Wat, Kato, Shig, Shihan, Jiro, Takada, etc. You'll soon figure out what steels rock your boat, what sizes and profiles fit your way of cutting.

Before you know it, you'll have a TF tattoo.

IMG_8505.jpg

Maz is a solid choice indeed! Now wait 'til you get infected by the collecting bug, and start chasing a Raquin, Yanick, Wat, Kato, Shig, Shihan, Jiro, Takada, etc. You'll soon figure out what steels rock your boat, what sizes and profiles fit your way of cutting.

Before you know it, you'll have a TF tattoo.

View attachment 121149
Isn't Kato supposed to be very expensive? The ones I see on CKC are in $200-$300 range.

https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/kato-yoshimi

Back