Whats your favorite 210?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used a whole lot 210, but as much as I was afraid that a 210 Munetoshi honyaki will feel flimsy and kind of large petty - it is simple a very nimble, lightweight gyuto. And for someone that does not have a collection of gyuto knives - it pairs well with a 240 workhorse kind of knife.

I’ve always liked [oversized] 210mm as a home cook. Whether a 210mm feels like a true gyuto or a large petty is largely a function of the blade height. I actually use my 210mm Kono HD2 with western handle a fair bit, but it just doesn’t feel like a 210mm GYUTO given it is a tad shorter than 210mmm and the heel height is only 45mm-ish.

Probably my favorites right now are:
- Dalman S-grind AEB-L gyuto
- Raquin
- Kato WH
- TF Denka

I like everything about my tweaked 210 Kaeru...
Kaeru.JPG

For western handles, I like the profile on the Misono carbon 210...

Last edited:
This may become a go-to recommendation for when I can't find a decently priced Yoshi then...
As long as the laeryness is fine, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. For a professional volume, I'd definitely ease the spine and choil. Home user probably wouldn't notice. I'd imagine the VG-10 version would still be a decent recommendation also. I haven't used that one. Takamura isn't known for hit or miss HT.

Takamura is a maker I keep hearing about, but haven't ever touched. It's on the shortlist as soon as I'm out of school again (hopefully March?)
I also want to give VG10 another go. After 4 years of keeping up my partner's Shun...it's not bad. I'm sure it earned its bad rap in a certain context, but I hear it can be done well.

I can x2 or x3 Takamura, whatever number of positives we are on for those. I've owned the R2, Vg10 and Chromax ones in gyutos at various sizes. As long as you are cool with thinner knives and don't have massive bear hands they are excellent at 210mm sizes and are around $120-170 for all varieties. It's my go to recommendation if someone can handle a thin knife and wants stainless. What you get for so little money with Takamura is frankly outstanding. Only Vg10 I like aside from Tanaka and Ryusen.

One word of caution, every one I've used was really chippy on the out of the box edge but a full progression (Chosera 400-1k-3k to newspaper strop or Jon's diamond 1k-6k to newspaper strop) it never happened again (minus a bad drop but really that's my fault). I think the ootb edge is just over buffed or polished and it's a bit weak, use it, let it chip a bit, full progression and you're set

TF 210 gyutos have IMO some of the best profiles in the class. I don't totally know what it is about his profile on shorter knives but a 210 maboroshi that has a tall heel is about as good as they get. I also have recently found the taller Mutsumi Hinoura 210's to be really versatile profiles similar to TF (with better F&F obviously).

That said I almost always prefer a 240 or 270

I'm really digging my Hinoura Tsuchime 210. It feels extremely nimble for some reason, despite being on the longer end of 210. Has the durability of the KU, but doesnt have the rough KU feeling in hand because the non-hammered parts are actually smooth. And chestnut handle is awesome.

hinoura.jpg

Last edited:
No custom engraving?

no just minor pimping. it was my first good kitchen knife so i wanted to make it as good as it could be.
blade needs more sanding i see but its ok for now. masur-turkish walnut-masur-ti.

mac1.JPG

I only have two 210 gyutos—got rid of my 210 Maz and 210 Tanaka Ginsan.

The two that I've kept are a Gesshin Hinoura Ajikataya and Shig, both are keepers and used a fair amount. Most of my gyutos are 225s and 240s, but often dig the smaller, laidback feel I get with 210s—the Hinoura has been my go-to as of late.

Of the Hinoura vs Shig, can't (won't) say which it better, they both shine in their own way—feel fortunate to have the luxury of being able to switch up knives when I want.

F6290230-FD6F-4DB0-970B-BD8F4BEA2DFC.jpeg

A88B7862-4B02-46C6-8F9D-6F79D8415513.jpeg

One of favorite knives is a Yoshi ktip SLD 210 it's pretty thin behind the edge and 51 tall. Its a different animal than my Yoshi Amekiri (thicker but more taper). Something i'm trying to decide on keeping is a Kagekiyo 210 w2 ~200 and ~45. Shorty and nimble. Laserish. If you'd like to demo either for a month, i'll drop it off at your store.

Lots of opinions here. Thanks folks. I think based on what I tend to keep in the 240 range, I’d be looking for more of a middle to WH style. Wat or toyama.

What do you guys think of the monetoshi 210? Not the honyaki but the KU

I find the Munetoshi amazing. I don’t have the gyuto but the 165 petty, and bought the santoku for my sister. It’s such a smooth cutter. I’m actually thinking of getting a 210 gyuto. Just to keep it around.

On topic - I currently use a 200mm Mizuno Tanrenjo blue #1 gyuto and I like it a lot. It’s actually quite an useful size for a home cook, and fits well inbetween my 165 Mune and 225 Watanabe.

Sukenari YXR7, Maboroshi, Yoshi SKD, and Kujira. I too agree that a thin and not-tall 210 feels more like using a petty as a gyuto, which is not necessarily a bad thing but is a different thing. Takamura Pro for instance. Surprisingly I didn’t like k-tip 210s as much as I thought I would. Had a Mazaki which I liked a lot but mine was really more of a 225 class and tall.

Some knives I don’t seem to care if they’re a little over or a little under the nominal size: notably the Maboroshi I had one a little under and one a little over 210mm and significantly prefer the one a little over. The Yoshi I think is just a great knife in general and when I get another to replace the one this doofus boosted (or at least borrowed and never returned) it’ll be probably a 240.

The Sukenari I got pretty recently and I’m not doing a ton of cooking these days, but the grind, profile, and steel are top flight. I believe it’s spot on 210x~50 and doesn’t ever feel undersized which I think is mostly a function of the geometry in the several dimensions.

The Kujira I’ve had for a while and I really have fallen in love with it: flat but not too flat, nice point on the drop tip, tall, tapered... it was also my first serious thinning project that I got sort of right. The stock grind was too fat and convex but now it is, if not perfect, certainly improved. However do note that this was a >$500 210 that took hours of work to make it into my favorite.

Back