Whats your favorite 210?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20201109_122138.jpg

I'm generally not a fan of 210 gyutos but my 210 Toyama kicks ass...super light, nimble, beautiful profile, slams through a variety of vegetable prep like a champ. It's the stainless clad variant, definitely feels more laser-like than middleweight

I'm generally not a fan of 210 gyutos but my 210 Toyama kicks ass...super light, nimble, beautiful profile, slams through a variety of vegetable prep like a champ. It's the stainless clad variant, definitely feels more laser-like than middleweight

The stainless clad versions are way thinner than iron, might as well be different knives

Im really enjoying a Mutsumi Hinoura 210 I got recently. Like most of the knives discussed in this thread, it runs tall/long.

But if Im honest I kind of prefer 240 or to go all the way down to 165mm, which when coupled with a 45mm+ height, does the 'short knife' thing better for me personally.

I will admit though I seem to enjoy every knife I buy in some respects.

I'm really digging my Morihei iron clad TF. The more I use it the more I like it. It has a fair bit of heft for a 210 which gives it a nice solid feel. Fit and finish is a bit rough especially around the handle but not the sort of thing you notice in use. 210 is also a nice size as I can use it on a smaller board easily and for my use at home I don't really need a bigger knife.

Pic from when I first picked it up.
IMG_20201202_092024968~4.jpg

none, I hate this size. but I may consider a custom length (220) shihan at some point.
I'm interested what it is about a 210 that doesn't work? Is it the sort of tasks you use it for or something else? I'm not a pro and just curious especially since you mention a 220.

I prefer Kiritsuke Gyutos in 210 as i find it really gives a great useable flat spot with less abrupt upsweep. Kochi 210 Kiritsuke Gyuto is my personal go to in 210.

I typically use 240mm Gyutos though.

The 210 isn't my favorite thing either. It's kinda in between size to me. Not big enough for some serious work, but unnecessarely long for quick and small stuff at home. I like 190 much more, but only if I have a 240 at hand too

Though in a pro kitchen 210 is better than a smaller knife and tons of my co workers have sworn by them.

Having said all that, the 210 is Takamuras domain and the R2 Migaki is great. All of it's atributes gels so well together to form a really good knife. IF you like them thin.

Ad to all that the price? I mean come on!

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back some because I love my 210s.

My favorite is a Munetoshi k-tip thinned and polished at JNS that takes the most ridiculous edge. Maxim thinned the shoulders and it has few peers in my collection. I also have the Mazaki migaki and while nice, doesn't cut as well or have as good food release. My dark horse 210 is my Shindo because it cuts too well for < $100USD.

I also have a Nordquist 52100 s-grind that I found I really like. It has this great triangle profile and a perfect taper all the way down the spine and makes a thin tip. The high heel exaggerates the triangle but it has a big flat spot and, when using a pinch grip, it's a really great set up.

Right now my favorite 210 is my Xerxes 125c mono laser. It just hits all the spots. Awesome profile, feels assertive, but oh so lasery at the same time.

I do love my 210 Denka also though.

Do 220s count? I've purged my collection of most 210s but I've got a Shindo "210" that's actually 220x52 and it's a really nice size, there's some crazy taper packed in to it so the heel is sturdy while the ultra thin tip can do whatever I like for fine work.

I've got a Shiro Kamo "Tora" 215 that's also a delight. Pretty lasery and, at least for a 210, my favorite gyuto profile.

Is it cheating to point to petty/suji's? I love Ashi Ginga AEBL, S. Tanaka R2, Munetoshi

For gyuto, I like Takeda and Y. Tanaka B1
My ginga 210 petty is probably my most used 210. Mostly because it's my potato knife... and I don't use 210 gyutos that much.

Every time I use my Wakui 210 gyuto, I wonder why I have all these other knives. I like my 240, 180, etc, but if I could only keep one, I think it might have to be that 210 (which might make me a weirdo around here).

Back