What's your favorite 240mm Gyuto under $300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a Takamura petty from MTC kitchen and their processing time is now 2-3 weeks due to COVID! WTH!
I hate the Mazaki handle from CNC but I think that’s my best bet right now. I really like this togashi too

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...white-2-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm-tagayasan-handle

I was looking at the $119 cutting board for bread you posted in your other thread.

Why don't you just buy a $15 plastic or bamboo board—then take the $100 you saved and add it to your gyuto budget? The difference between a $300 and $400 knife can be significant. Or the saved money used on a Mac Superior Bread Knife and big bag of King Arthur Flour.

Spend your money where it matters.

BTW, what do you hate about the CKC Maz handle? I like magnolia, more than ebony and some of the other hardwoods.

Last edited:
I was looking at the $119 cutting board for bread you posted in your other thread.

Why don't you just buy a $15 plastic or bamboo board—then take the $100 you saved and add it to your gyuto budget? The difference between a $300 and $400 knife can be significant. Or the saved money used on a Mac Superior Bread Knife and big bag of King Arthur Flour.

Spend your money where it matters.

BTW, what do you hate about the CKC Maz handle? I like magnolia, more than ebony and some of the other hardwoods.

I don’t like the aesthetic of lighter color handles. They look cheap. But that may be my only option right now. Everything else is out of stock.

I toattly agree with statement but I wish I could help it. I spent quite a bit on vintage tokoname bonsai pots recently. They all stay outdoor. At least I get more use out of kitchen knives. :)

I don’t like the aesthetic of lighter color handles. They look cheap. But that may be my only option right now. Everything else is out of stock.

I toattly agree with statement but I wish I could help it. I spent quite a bit on vintage tokoname bonsai pots recently. They all stay outdoor. At least I get more use out of kitchen knives. :)

I hear you. Tho depends on the handle, some ho handles better crafted than others. I've kinda heading the opposite direction—most my handles are dark (burnt chestnut, cocobolo, burnt oak, rosewood)—been wanting to add some diversity with light wood handles. I do like the grippiness of a good ho, as long as it doesn't have a plastic ferrule.

I hear you. Tho depends on the handle, some ho handles better crafted than others. I've kinda heading the opposite direction—most my handles are dark (burnt chestnut, cocobolo, burnt oak, rosewood)—been wanting to add some diversity with light wood handles. I do like the grippiness of a good ho, as long as it doesn't have a plastic ferrule.
Did the handle get darker with use? the one from cleancut has beautiful grain. the CKC one doesn’t have much character but I like the KU finish.

Attachments

• CAB64869-3078-4D86-A73D-43E86D53715C.jpeg
    CAB64869-3078-4D86-A73D-43E86D53715C.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 101
Did the handle get darker with use? the one from cleancut has beautiful grain. the CKC one doesn’t have much character but I like the KU finish.

Top is a custom handle; 2nd down is Keyaki wood, a little darker than ho; bottom to are ho (magnolia), I may have oiled the bottom one, can't remember, and no longer own it.

Top is a custom handle; 2nd down is Keyaki wood, a little darker than ho; bottom to are ho (magnolia), I may have oiled the bottom one, can't remember, and no longer own it.
[/QUOT
I ordered the last one from CKC. I guess most of the handles I like are custom.

to my taste the KnS handle is such a good match for the the 240 mazaki that I'd hold out for it.

that said, I wouldnt say no to one of JKI's octagonal burnt chestnut handles either.

That is True, Some knives seems to have better/worse quality even tho they’re all Ho wood handle. Some feels rougher( liked Masamoto KS, these can obsorb water faster, get dirty darker faster). Some feels smooth, doesn’t absorb water easily. IDK if those already apply the oil or not before selling, it can also get darker overtime but slower. I still prefer Ho wood handle on some of my knives especially lasers cause most Ho wood handle knives usually blade heavy.

to my taste the KnS handle is such a good match for the the 240 mazaki that I'd hold out for it.

that said, I wouldnt say no to one of JKI's octagonal burnt chestnut handles either.
No doubt but if it’s my luck the next batch will be kasumi finish. I like CKC‘s KU finish better than KnS at least in the picture it looks nicer.

Attachments

• A512862B-4074-4637-A403-02D4D76A9D6C.jpeg
    A512862B-4074-4637-A403-02D4D76A9D6C.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 59
  • B3D659B3-33D0-4C69-B2A9-A7A2F553139B.jpeg
    B3D659B3-33D0-4C69-B2A9-A7A2F553139B.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 6DAA8685-A6D5-4827-80D7-38E15629E27F.jpeg
    6DAA8685-A6D5-4827-80D7-38E15629E27F.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 61
  • A1974A33-64F8-4A0C-918F-DFC75D129BE4.jpeg
    A1974A33-64F8-4A0C-918F-DFC75D129BE4.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 8614EB86-B85A-4CBF-BF65-D2856600EA73.jpeg
    8614EB86-B85A-4CBF-BF65-D2856600EA73.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
After 2 weeks use. Some more blue patina and some not so blue! Is the brow patina bad?

that's (unfortunately) typical of the stock mazaki finish. mine, which has been polished a LOT since I bought it, has not formed a patina of this color since refinishing it with a (far, far) finer stone than whatever he sends them out with.

that's (unfortunately) typical of the stock mazaki finish. mine, which has been polished a LOT since I bought it, has not formed a patina of this color since refinishing it with a (far, far) finer stone than whatever he sends them out with.
what's the safest way to remove patina? rust remover?

Yoshimi kato AS nashiji from KNS
shiro kamo SG 2 from KNS

Kurosaki Raijin 240mm, my current reigning champion for horizontal onion cuts tied at first place alongside the Konosuke Sumiiro.

Back