What's your favorite knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Just curious what some of the forums members here favor in their collections.

Id have to say either my Kono HD gyuto or my Misono ux10 suji

Since i started buying knives i seem to always want more!!

270mm Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto. Easily my best performer (for now). Just makes it a joy to use.

I also still have a soft spot for my DT ITK 270mm gyuto. Probably my most comfortable knife, and it is the only stainless gyuto I have in my work kit currently, performs great but isn't super thin (still sturdy). Basically it is my beater at work that I don't have to worry about rusting or chipping or bending. I appreciate it being a workhorse I don't have to baby.

Favorite knife which I own is a Gesshin Ginga 210mm petty. But it's clearly "the best" knife I own.... it's not the most used. Then it's a tough call, but probably (so far) my 10" Sab Nogent chef's knife. I wreck the patina a bit too often (don't ask) and cut too many corrosive things to use it *all* the time, but it's my most used knife, still.

The one I just finished :viking:
(sorry my filter is off today)
Del

any single bevel knife from watanabe..... wa-suji hiro-AS with Dave's thinning and etched also becoming my favorite slicer now.

Ooo... narrowing it down to just one favorite is hard. But maybe I can narrow it down to 3. DT ITK cleaver, Suisin Densho kiritsuke, Konosuke Fujiyama white 240 gyuto.

Each is so different from the other that I don`t want to have to choose between them!

"Rottman" 210 suji in Niolox. I don't do volume work with it but I use it very often. It makes me smile every time.

At the moment my favorite is my 270 suisin inox honyaki wa gyuto.
Sometimes I feel like I take this knife for granted, I won't use it for a day or two and then when I use it again I'm reminded of how good it is. This knife has a very unique feel to it compared to my others.
Not sure if It's the steel or the handle or both but it feels solid.
There's a lot of feedback, kinda like pumping your car tires up to 50 psi

It changes often, currently my favorite is my 270 Kikuichi carbon suji, followed closely by a 10" old hickory. Ghetto, I know! Nothing exotic, sorry.

my favorites would be my Hiromoto HC240 and my PreWW1 10" Sabatier Nogent chef knife. I love them both even though I have been neglecting the Sabatier for a while.

followed closely by a 10" old hickory.
LOL, I love that knife too! Mine's an 8" Ontario in french chef pattern, about 50 yrs old I think. It's a bargain at 5x its ebay price price of ~$10.

My Butchihiki is the knife you would have to pry from my cold dead hands though.

My current favorite is my Mizuno 270 blue 2 gyuto. Followed closely by my white 2 Yoshihiro deba.

In first place for me is the Bob Kramer 9" chef's knife. Three way tie for second place; 270 Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa gyuto, 210 Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa petty, and the 10" Kramer Zwilling chef's knife. Very close to a 4 way tie for first.

Although, not nearly my most used (which goes to my takeda and kono gyutos), I really love to slice things with my octagon handled 300mm Moritaka yanagi, and am happy every time an opportunity arises.

270mm Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto. Easily my best performer (for now). Just makes it a joy to use.

I also still have a soft spot for my DT ITK 270mm gyuto. Probably my most comfortable knife, and it is the only stainless gyuto I have in my work kit currently, performs great but isn't super thin (still sturdy). Basically it is my beater at work that I don't have to worry about rusting or chipping or bending. I appreciate it being a workhorse I don't have to baby.

that jumped to the top of your list real quick didn't it. can't say I blame you.

This is really tuff for me to give a single answer on. My most beloved is my Kramer. It is basically my dream knife.

I would say my favorites/most used are my shigefusa kasumi 240mm gyuto and Konosuke fujiyama white #1 gyuto.

After that I am really digging my new heiji 240mm suji semi-stainless from Jon, I am digging it a lot in fact.

if I was still working the line everyday it would be my dt itk 240mm aeb-l.

This is really tuff for me to give a single answer on. My most beloved is my Kramer. It is basically my dream knife.

I would say my favorites/most used are my shigefusa kasumi 240mm gyuto and Konosuke fujiyama white #1 gyuto.

After that I am really digging my new heiji 240mm suji semi-stainless from Jon, I am digging it a lot in fact.

if I was still working the line everyday it would be my dt itk 240mm aeb-l.

Really a gyuto for your line knife? seems a bit large but then again I'm use to small tight kitchens ha. I also got a question what does "heji" actually mean i see it all over the place with different brands is it one brand or does it have a japanaese meaning behind it? just curious

Nakaya Heiji is a Japanese knife maker. I think he has a son or two that help him out. You normally hear about two lines of knives he makes: stainless clad skd and iron clad swedish (a la Iwasaki/Shigefusa). In the U.S., we get them from Jon, for the most part.

Really a gyuto for your line knife? seems a bit large but then again I'm use to small tight kitchens ha. I also got a question what does "heji" actually mean i see it all over the place with different brands is it one brand or does it have a japanaese meaning behind it? just curious

I do not use a chefs knife on the line, just for prep. A 240mm suji has been my line knife for years provided I have the space on the station.

My favorite knife will always be the one I dont have :) And thats why I keep on buying knives I really dont need :S

Masamoto KS 240 gyuto

Amazing feel, profile, and geometry.

It'll probably be the first knife I get a fancypants handle for.

For some reason I really like my Watanabe garasuki, but I don't use it enough. Other than that, my Carter funayuki.

Stefan

Latest posts

Back