Quantcast

Whats your Forschners abilities boundary?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Today I had a pleasure of breaking down whole cods. 8 Fish, i didnt weigh them but I loved the size[5-6kg], fillets made beautifull, 4x200grams portions.

But the but is I used My VictorInox gyuto 25cm. I used it because previous day i did new edge on it and wanted to try, but also because I dont have a good idea on new Deba.

Anyways, while the skin and flesh felt like cling film to cut, the bones were a nightmare! I mean the blade was to light, and it just felt helpless. I had to chop my way through.
I really wanted to get to breadknife and make it easy on myself.
Then portioning went smooth, I love the flesh of fresh cod :biggrin:

That got me thinking if I hit the boundary of My cheapo-powers :wink:

What did you found out about yours?

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Using a knife to break down whole fish that is not very heavy is a different skill set. It requires slightly different motions and different tactics to get things to work well.

With that in mind, I think there is something to be said about the ability to do your job without high-cost tools.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
Im not quite shure what kind of difference you have in mind. As I said I dont have a problem with flesh or skin, just the tough cos bones. It wouldnt be a issue with salmon, but I wonder how much of a shitting myself I would have with a snapper.
Now I also have reflex it could be having something to do with the length, 250 is quite a blae for being such light.

Definitely, there is special tool for the job and its laughing at me right now. What do you mean high costing?

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
I mean bigger, heavier, specially designed tools. They usually cost more due to the increase in materials and the specialty of the need.

It is certainly advisable to use a good skinning knife to skin a deer, but it's always impressive to see someone clean and skin a deer well with a Buck 110.