What's your go to stainless laser gyuto custom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc9111

Reaction score
I'm looking to step up to a custom laser gyuto and just curious what you guys are using seems like the big three non customs are Tad , SIH , Ginga

Im looking specifically for a wa handle gyuto in stainless with a premium steel for edge retention under 210 length with a nicer wa handle under $800 new or used

Regards

My thoughts ... FWIW ... $0.02

Non-custom but I have a (wide bevel) Kagekiyo Ginsan 240 (Jon's higher end model and they run "short" since they are measured from the Machi so the 240 is actually around 225 on the edge) superb steel/edge retention/F&F and you get to deal with Jon/JKI ... I would certainly put it in the 'laser' category if for nothing else but it's extreme thinness behind the edge ... Chat with Jon though he will set you straight either way ...

Chris Anderson's (CJA Edged Art - not a vendor here) standard gyuto is in the 'laserish' group IMO and his AEB-L/heat treat is excellent but don't know if he has any at the moment and there is ample discussion around concerning Cris' handle styling (which I like so full disclosure). I currently have one of his extra-heavy 240's and the tip on that is insanely thin but have played with his standard gyuto & it is thin ... you might find one on "rodriguez butcher supply" ...

I also have stainless gyutos by Ian Rodgers (Haburn/AEB-L), Mario Ingoglia (XHP/CPM154), Konosuke (ZDP-189) & Devin (AEB-L) but those aren't lasers ... if you want my thoughts on them just PM me ...

Possibly zdp-189 but I'm open to any suggestions

My Devin doesn't suck. Not a bit. ABEL.

But you're not going to get into a custom with just a phone call. Most that I know of have a 2 - 3 yr waiting list.

Custom laser stainless gyuto? I’ll take a Tillman in niolox over anything that’s been mentioned so far.
Infact, that’s the move I made after trying the knives you listed.

1. Laser.
2. Custom.
3. Premium stainless, like Carpenter XHP.
4. Reasonable wait time.

L.R. "Butch" Harner for the win. Just ask anyone who's owned one of his nakiris or gyutos.

i agree with this, i had a cpm154 gyuto from butch and it was a superb laser

The Butch Harner looks like a winner , thanks for all the suggestions

I agree with all the comments - the only Harner I have owned was a beautiful Nakiri in CPM-154 with an amazingly thin blade & badass sharp ... let it go only because I figured out Nakiri's just ain't my thing ... would love to try one of his gyuto's in that material just too little $$ and not enough time ...

Have heard great things about Tillman's works / Niolox seems great (PM some folks here who have them / just look in the new knife area) ... good luck where ever you look & let us know what direction you go in ...

I really want to know how to contact with Tillman. And any photo of his work!!!! Can anyone let me know please. Thanks so much.

How does one order from Tillman?

Contact user "Rottman", that's him!

I have a set of a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty from Niolox coming from him before Christmas. Pleasure to deal with him so far! And I am so curious to getting these... Can't wait!

As far as laser knives are concerned, those have never been my thing (had a 270 Western Konosuke HD). But I bought a Western Gesshin Ginga in stainless steel which is FANTASTIC! So, dive into the custom world with a maker of your choice (for me, the looks and style definitely do make the difference) or give Jon from JKI a call.

I’m curious why you liked the ginga western over kono hd western. Wassup with that?
Well, not that anything was wrong with the Kono. At that time the 270 was just to long, even though it was running short. And also I was pretty much at the beginning of my kitchen knife conquest so the laserish impression it made on me made me a bit scared, I thought that maybe it was too delicate for my beginner's hands...

Well, not that anything was wrong with the Kono. At that time the 270 was just to long, even though it was running short. And also I was pretty much at the beginning of my kitchen knife conquest so the laserish impression it made on me made me a bit scared, I thought that maybe it was too delicate for my beginner's hands...

Cool. Thanks.

I completely agree with labor-of-love. I have three of his knives in niolox, all custom (one of them is actually a rarity, in niolox damascus) and I cannot speak in higher or other terms tthan to say superlative wonderful things about working with him or his work. I discovered him thanks to chinacats but more than a few here have his knives. I sent Barmoley his contact info via PM. Brucewmi if you still need his conatct send me a PM and will send it to you

Back