Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That red snapper is good eating fish
That's a queen snapper, a deepwater snapper species we have here in the gulf. I pulled that one up from 800ft, and they're my favorite of the snapper family to eat. Completely outclassing red snapper which imo are kind of overrated.

What are you fishing off of an oil platform?
Yep most of the tuna fishing in the gulf is done off the oil rigs and at night. They're affectionately called "floaters" among fishermen:)

Am I seeing a couple of Vett's in that picture?
64 and 69.

91170077-9D01-4081-BB9A-758F30F3A4F4.jpeg
06E8B275-77E1-4623-A8CF-5B9262836846.jpeg

Being a responsible pet owner (not really a hobby though, more like a calling since I promised to provide her a forever home and take care of her until the end when we got her as a rescue some eight years back, and I don't make promises that I can not or do not intend to honor). So, on top of the regular stuff our 16+ year old pup has had health issues for a while now and I have, within the last 6 or so months, plonked close to 4k€ on her care (multiple vet visits and she had an operation earlier this year)... and she most likely needs dental work which will be another 0.5-1k€... oh well, it is just money after all and she is precious to all of us.

Expensive hobbies... aside from Japanese knives (and other sharp and pointy things), whetstones and cooking equipment? 😅

Vintage fountain pens? I have collected those for +20 years now and have a collection of 25 or so German Pelikan brand fountain pens from 1938-1965 (I do have others too, in total like 70+ fountain pens). I quess those qualify, not that much money when spread over the years though, maybe spent around 3k€ and the value of all in total is like 7k€ (or more)?

1685281346948.png

1685281464232.png

Audio and music equipment and software is another rabbit hole I could (and have) spent money on...

Last edited:
Just bought a camper - picking up next week. SHE says we're going to tour the world. I think I have a new entry into my most expensive hobby.

Of course the first two things on my shopping list are a new knife rack and a cutting board to go over the sink. May have to try a santoku (one more time....)

Just bought a camper - picking up next week. SHE says we're going to tour the world. I think I have a new entry into my most expensive hobby.

Of course the first two things on my shopping list are a new knife rack and a cutting board to go over the sink. May have to try a santoku (one more time....)
Have fun seeing Madagascar 🤣

Iceland has always been on my list.....
Iceland is a cool place Land of Fire & Ice. Janice is going there with her travel group. We have been watching Iceland travel guides on streaming TV. Simply stunning scenery. Raw energy at a place on earth that is splitting apart.

Being a responsible pet owner (not really a hobby though, more like a calling since I promised to provide her a forever home and take care of her until the end when we got her as a rescue some eight years back, and I don't make promises that I can not or do not intend to honor). So, on top of the regular stuff our 16+ year old pup has had health issues for a while now and I have, within the last 6 or so months, plonked close to 4k€ on her care (multiple vet visits and she had an operation earlier this year)... and she most likely needs dental work which will be another 0.5-1k€... oh well, it is just money after all and she is precious to all of us.
I hear that! I've never thought of it as a hobby, but my pups take up a lot of my time and money.

Our Lab is currently dealing with cancer: between the visit, meds, amputation and chemo, I've spent more on her in the past 3 months than I have in the past 5 years on this hobby.

100% worth it.

Back