Whats your most expensive hobby?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by JBroida, Feb 11, 2015.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 29, 2018 #601

slobound

slobound

slobound

I agree, getting a brand new saltwater tank set up is a lot of work. But once you get things stabilized & consistent, it's almost hands free... especially with all of the controllers available on the market today. I've had a saltwater tank running since '01 and I'm barely in the tank any more. I probably spend 15-20 minutes each week checking on it and feeding the fish.

2. Dec 13, 2018 #602

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Juuuuusssst started surf fishing. Crap! I don’t see an end in sight.

Salt water has a lot of fish in it! I see a sea kayak in my future...of course I’ll need a good rust proof knife, oh tuna? Tuna rod!

I git the chest waders, wait there is a stocking foot? ....this could get ugly.

3. Dec 13, 2018 #603

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

A nasty habit of buying Porsche's, and then custom HRE wheels for each one.

4. Dec 13, 2018 #604

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Boots finally arrived.
    received_1127660497395985.jpg

Matus, mille162 and bkultra like this.
  5. Dec 13, 2018 #605

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

Snazzy D. Love the color

DamageInc likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2018 #606

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

You,what about poor me. I got into fly fishing and fly tying and all the stuff that goes with it,many fly rods because I needed different weight rods for different types of fly fishing in the streams,all this,times two because the wife is into it as well.I won't even tell you about the money wrapped up in our Muskie fishing gear and boats.I had to make a complete flip flop and now just bait a hook with worm and stick a bobber on it in our own backyard fish pond.

Mucho Bocho likes this.
  7. Dec 14, 2018 #607

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard

OTOH, if you buy at the right time (i.e., after someone else has watched the value of their new purchase depreciate, as is almost inevitable), or hold for quite a while, they're really not so expensive -- and, indeed, become appreciating assets (or at least hold their value). Although I have no intention of reselling my 993, I'm quite pleased by the current market value. And I certainly feel as if I've gotten nearly priceless pleasure out of it over the years, whether on the track or just enjoying driving it on streets and highways.

mille162 likes this.
  8. Dec 14, 2018 #608

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

You got it. I always buy them CPO with the extended warranty. Depreciation is low after that. You have done very well with the 993 in the past 3-4 years. They are also my favorite “vintage” series. Such a fun car to drive.

9. Dec 14, 2018 #609

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

Vintage? a 993? Dang, I think of them as almost brand new :D

ThinMan likes this.
  10. Dec 14, 2018 #610

Bwana

Bwana

Bwana

hunting

11. Dec 14, 2018 #611

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

I used to do saltwater kayak fishing in South Florida, going into the mangrove shallows where the flats boats couldn't go. Sight-fishing Redfish or Snook, things you couldn't get in the local markets. Then I moved up to the PNW where the water is just too damned cold (and deep).

Fishing as a hobby gets reaaaally expensive when you get so far into it that you need to travel. Like going for bonefish* in Belize or Costa Rica. Or Salmon in Scotland. Then it's like the scuba diving hobby, where most of your money goes into world travel and not the gear.

*Bonefish are a total gas, by the way. Fish them in shallow water flats for miles around where they have nowhere to go, so you just hook 'em and fight 'em for a half hour and pray your line doesn't run out. Then toss and release. I've also hooked a Tarpon while kayak fishing, which is another kind of thrill.... giant prehistoric thing with scales like silver dollars, where you hope he spits out the lure before he pulls your kayak over, and you have to sacrifice the rod. Fun times in the tropics. That's years behind me now, but good memories.

12. Dec 14, 2018 #612

954kevin

954kevin

954kevin

well, its expensive to me...

[​IMG]

preizzo, playero and panda like this.
  13. Dec 14, 2018 #613

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Oh,you be the cool kid in the neighborhood. I had a Honda 750 inline 4 back in the 70's.

954kevin likes this.
  14. Dec 14, 2018 #614

mille162

mille162

mille162

Well, since a 993 is the last of the air cooled engines, it still gets grouped into the “old porsche” category!

By todays young buyers standards, having a manual transmission and not having: bluetooth, 360deg camera, heated/cooled/massaging seats, light-up vanity door sills, iphone app sync, keyless entry/starting, 200 page book of carbonfiber/painted optional trim pieces, deviant colored seatbelt options, painted caliper options, HUD, 24+ speaker stereo, leather wrapped fusebox cover or a car shaped keyfob, means your car is def “vintage” (or “hipster” as they’d say in their own lingo!)

larrybard likes this.
  15. Dec 14, 2018 #615

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard

Perhaps only relative to my age would a 993 be considered almost brand new. (And maybe, by such standards, I should therefore be considered "vintage.")

16. Dec 14, 2018 #616

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

I just wish they would bring back the Volkswagon Beetle. Now there was a car.;)

17. Dec 14, 2018 #617

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

Without the beetle, perhaps there would not be a 911!

18. Dec 14, 2018 #618

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Dog gone,you sure got me there.That just might be true.

19. Dec 15, 2018 #619

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Porsche was ahead of his time. Rear engine race cars got popular in the early 1960's. In the mid 1930's he was building super charged V16 rear engine Auto Unions. Didn't handle so well but were the fastest race car at the time.

Those air cooled Turbo's go for big bucks. Less cars are available with manual stick shift.

I remember when even a Manual turbo 4 wheel drive Subaru Forrester was fun to drive. Now they got bigger no turbo or manual and a crappy automatic transmission.

20. Dec 15, 2018 #620

playero

playero

playero

Supporting Member

21. Dec 15, 2018 #621

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

not as expensive as others hobbies but, my two hobbies are turbo Subarus and hoarding exotic woods for knife handles.

22. Dec 16, 2018 #622

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard

Few months ago bought a 2018 Forester with manual -- just before they stopped offering them (starting in 2019). All my cars are manual. Just more fun/engaging. But if I were to return to the track, and were serious about my lap times, I must concede that a manual couldn't compete with a modern PDK etc. transmission.

23. Dec 16, 2018 #623

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Like Manual for same reason. I don't know if Subaru's Automatic Trans has got better. My better half has a 2008 Forrester, the auto trans sucks. Subaru & Honda make good manual Trans.

24. Dec 16, 2018 #624

Greenbean1224

Greenbean1224

Greenbean1224

Golf.... it would be so bad if I didn’t collect clubs like knives

25. Dec 17, 2018 #625

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

Does medschool count? Been studying so long it's the closest thing to a hobby I have, definitely the most expensive :p

ashy2classy and rebornhj like this.
  26. Dec 18, 2018 #626

rebornhj

rebornhj

rebornhj

Definitely cars........I lost tons of money from cars especially Porsche panamera turbo.

MartinT likes this.
  27. Dec 18, 2018 #627

larrybard

larrybard

larrybard

Seriously? I always wondered who bought those -- and why. I once test drove a Panamera Turbo S. Local dealer gave it to me to use for 3 days. I returned it after driving it for less than a day, I disliked it so much. (Yeah, I realize it's so subjective -- not intending to criticize you personally.) With the exception of a few very limited production cars (e.g., GT3 RS) that are rationed to preferred customers, one is pretty much assured of losing a ton of value by buying new.

28. Dec 18, 2018 #628

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

We need people to buy top-of-the-line Cayennes and Panameras so Porsche will have money to keep building sports cars and to keep racing. :cool:

rebornhj likes this.
  29. Dec 18, 2018 #629

Butaru

Butaru

Butaru

Supporting Member

I just read through the whole thread and I love hearing about everyone’s hobbies. Mine are simple and as of now not too costly. I share the fun of knife use, collecting, and sharpening. Tons of shooting in all forms, just not real good in one. Fishing has always been there whether it’s salt or freshwater. I used to be heavily into surfing and then more sweeping with the paddleboard. Currently my dog (Belgian Mal) is keeping me happily busy. Hopefully when I retire in a couple of years I’ll be able to start up more of travel, bonsai, and bbq!

30. Dec 18, 2018 #630

rebornhj

rebornhj

rebornhj

I understand when comparing Panamera Turbo vs GT3 vs huracan vs R8 etc everyone will dislike the Panamera.
    But when comparing with S class, 7 series, A8, etc Panamera Turbo is actually a beast.
    I am done with Panamera though. No more lol Maintenance cost more than ferrari 458 and resale value is horrible.
    Only Porsche I will get will be GT3 or GT4. That's it.

larrybard likes this.