Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making sharp things from steel

I wanted to ask about the speaker in the background in the bike thread, but didn't want to veer off topic on only the third post :D

Damn, how did I miss that in the pic! Do tell us about the system!

ATM kitchen knives. But I'm always finding ways to spend the money I don't have

Cigars... they can get pricey. Limited editions, boxes from Cuba, good deals that you just can't pass up... there are always a reason to buy more! I only smoke a few a week, but I probably have over 1000 cigars.

Before that (actually overlapping I would say) was surf fishing. And I didn't fish with those Walmart specials. All custom rods (which I built) Van Staal reals, $40 plugs (I built those too), waders, surf tops, custom plug bags, etc. It got expensive. This was back before I had kids when I had money though!

I have also spent too much (which even my wife makes fun of me for) on raw selvedge denim. I never thought I would spend more than whatever a pair of Levis cost on a pair of jeans, but once I learned that there is a whole world of craftsmanship, mostly stemming from Japan, in denim, I was hooked. The hobby of Selvedge denim (and goodyear welted boots, and jackets, etc.) is actually similar to knives. The craftsmanship is amazing, the details are incredible, its all about making the best version of whatever it is. I appreciate good craftsmanship in pretty much anything.

I have also spent too much (which even my wife makes fun of me for) on raw selvedge denim. I never thought I would spend more than whatever a pair of Levis cost on a pair of jeans, but once I learned that there is a whole world of craftsmanship, mostly stemming from Japan, in denim, I was hooked. The hobby of Selvedge denim (and goodyear welted boots, and jackets, etc.) is actually similar to knives. The craftsmanship is amazing, the details are incredible, its all about making the best version of whatever it is. I appreciate good craftsmanship in pretty much anything.

I've done a lot of reading about selvedge - it's something that interests me, but I've resisted thus far. I have a feeling that dipping my toes in might be a bad idea. :D

I wanted to ask about the speaker in the background in the bike thread, but didn't want to veer off topic on only the third post :D
Sorry mate, just seen your post.

As mentioned Hi-Fi and record collecting is another one of my hobbies.

Speakers are Tannoy Westminster Royal. I have owned them for about 15 years and they are still being made today.

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8762.jpg

Growing up, my best mate had Tannoy speakers as well as a piano in his living room. Whenever I would walk down the hall and hear music playing through the open door, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was the actual piano I was listening to, or the speakers.
They were really nice. :D

Reactions: rob
Dont do green stuff...

I mean during day I do gyokuro tea and and during night time I do absinthe. Both can get pretty expensive if you do it regularly... :)

Does anyone know Žufánek huh?

Dont do green stuff...

I mean during day I do gyokuro tea and and during night time I do absinthe. Both can get pretty expensive if you do it regularly... :)

Does anyone know Žufánek huh?

I often end the day with a glass of absinthe. Current bottles in my collection:

Belle Amie

Belle Amie 2nd Edition

Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 4'

Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 5'

Blanche de Fougerolles

Blanche de Fougerolles Heure Verte

Blanchette

Brevans A.O. Spare

Brevans H.R. Giger

Capricieuse

Clandestine

Clandestine Alcool du Vin

Doubs Mystique

Duplais

Duplais 'Balance'

Duplais (US Release)

Duplais Blanche

Duplais Blanche France

Edouard (Sep. 2009 & Mar. 2008)

Eichelberger 58 Blanche

Eichelberger 60 verte

Eichelberger 68 Verte

Eichelberger 70 Verte

Eichelberger 70 Verte Classic

Eichelberger 78 Verte

Eichelberger Brut 80

François Guy

Helfrich Blanche

Helfrich Verte

Kübler 53

L'Artisanale

L'Enjôleuse

L'Italienne

La Coquette

La Fée XS Française

La Fée XS Suisse

La Ptite

La Ptite douce

La Valote (US Release)

La Valote Francis Martin

La Valote Lucien Fornoni

La Valote Martin L´Originale 72

La Valote Tradition 65

La Valote Willy Bovet

Lemercier Amer 72

Leopold Bros (Batch #14)

Lucid

Maitresse Rouge

Mansinthe

Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Epoque

Marteau Verte Classique

Meadow of Love (Batch 09-1)

Montmartre (2nd Edition)

Nouvelle-Orléans (Aug. 2008 & Mar. 2008)

Obsello

Opaline

Père François (Elixir du Pays des Fées)

PF 1901 (Sep. 2009 & Sep. 2007)

Pacifique

Prométhée

Recette Marianne (FrancoSuisse)

Roquette - 1797

Serpis 65

Sirene (Batch #12)

Soixante-Cinq

St. George

Suisse Verte Clandestine (Edition #2, Angelique with no A.A. used for coloration)

Twin Tec

Verte Suisse (Sep. 2009 & Sep. 2007)

Verte de Fougerolles

Vieux Carre

Vieux Pontarlier

Walton Waters (Batch 08-1)

Wormwood Blanche

Ohh man thats nice collection!

I drink only Zufanek. Still have his This is not dubied (couple of bottles) never drunk anything like that....
Wish to meet u and share some stuff I see u different level :)
Not many people like that taste...

The "To many" part. Did you mean to say "Not enough"?

You’re losing me. And maybe losing it a bit yourself.

Stones are expensive, I have many stones. Sharpening on stones is my hobby. It’s an expensive hobby.

The expensive hobby I have is trying to find the correct speakers at the correct price and fixing them to sound better. After that is collecting wonderful knives to help make me delicious food.

i think mine is my modular synth. and maybe by bikes (pedal bikes) but be honest i dont know if the bikes are a hobby since this is my only form of transportation.

My motorcycle is ramping up in cost. I’m trying to get it ready for a ride to Vancouver. Solo.
got new tires today. Man, wrestling that rear hurts the body. Lots of parts to hold in place. I still need a top bag for the back, a tank bag, extra fuel container, and some travel tools. Maybe additional lighting, and cruise control, and communication stuff. Jeez! Cheaper to fly there and get a hotel. :)

Back