Quantcast

Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

gregfisk

Reaction score
Audio is definitely my most expensive hobby. A couple of years ago I took a 20’x30’ out building and turned it into a listening room. Lots of room treatments, tube gear, open baffle custom made speakers and a state of the art tube dac with volume control. I use a macmini as a music server with audirvana software. It was expensive to set up but now that it’s done upgrades and new music are my only real costs. Picture of my room and some gear from a get together I had when a bunch of guys brought over equipment to try.
46A37389-D2CE-45C0-AA06-679D1114C751.jpeg
FE94CDE9-E4E7-485E-B32C-B307D85F43A6.jpeg
341A1182-837D-4C5E-B551-96C451422C92.jpeg

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my BIL's is a '66' or '67. Pretty sure he told me HP is in the 300s, but it was a couple of years ago. He let me drive it on the country roads around where he lives in PA. The sound and power was nice. it appeals to the opposite side of the brain than my '87 Carrera.

Kgp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my BIL's is a '66' or '67. Pretty sure he told me HP is in the 300s, but it was a couple of years ago. He let me drive it on the country roads around where he lives in PA. The sound and power was nice. it appeals to the opposite side of the brain than my '87 Carrera.
My BIL has an 07 carrera. Great car and fun to drive.

Kgp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the white car first picture what's the engine year of that sweet ride?
It’s a 1964 327 365hp. Was fuel injected originally but first owner put a carb on it. Has 40,000 miles on it.

gregfisk

Reaction score
I’ve had your dac in my system when a fellow audiophile brought it over for a get together. My Lapizator dac is also a Nos dac. The Metrum is a nice dac and sounded very good that day. And you hit the old proverbial nail on the head with this comment about involvement and musicality, I couldn’t agree with you more.

MarcelNL said
I consider my Metrum R2R DAC quite nice, for sure the new tube amp will outclass any class D amp, believe me I've heard plenty class D and yes they can do great but involvement and musicality is not their Forté.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Kayak Bass fishing is putting a big DENT in all my other activities. i'm obsessed with catching a GIANT. too bad i kinda suck at the moment. but that's the rub. the fishing is getting better as i am getting better. i cast more accurately, i know more spots, etc.

this could ruin my other hobbies. i cant even remember the last time i was on my mountain bike. GAH!!

Kgp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kayak Bass fishing is putting a big DENT in all my other activities. i'm obsessed with catching a GIANT. too bad i kinda suck at the moment. but that's the rub. the fishing is getting better as i am getting better. i cast more accurately, i know more spots, etc.

this could ruin my other hobbies. i cant even remember the last time i was on my mountain bike. GAH!!
It's not expensive till you buy a Ranger bass boat. Don't ask how I know, and never calculate your cost per fish!

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
It's not expensive till you buy a Ranger bass boat. Don't ask how I know, and never calculate your cost per fish!
hahha.yes. funny story. my wife thought i SHOULD buy a boat. a bass boat. it was me that didnt want to. the GAS, the Maintenence, i have no where to store it, my truck is a tiny truck - i would need a new truck to tow. the CONS far outweighed the PROS. i am pretty happy with my Hobie Fishing Kayak.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
having said that..i would go with a Vexux Boat, not a Ranger. i like the partial Aluminum construction for that plush ride. :)

Reactions: Kgp