Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a long while I collected books. At my peak I had over 900 books. Been trying to whittle down over the past few years to get down to just the fun and meaningful books. Got some very cool ones but my collection is amature at best. Then years ago I started a pretty in depth 22 caliber firearm collection which is far from amature, that obsession keeps me broke. My fellow collectors think I'm crazy cause I buy and sell often, but I only keep what I really enjoy and it's fun to try out all the different variants I come across.

For a long while I collected books. At my peak I had over 900 books. Been trying to whittle down over the past few years to get down to just the fun and meaningful books. Got some very cool ones but my collection is amature at best. Then years ago I started a pretty in depth 22 caliber firearm collection which is far from amature, that obsession keeps me broke. My fellow collectors think I'm crazy cause I buy and sell often, but I only keep what I really enjoy and it's fun to try out all the different variants I come across.

many, many years ago I was big into collecting Golden Age of Illustration Books. An unfortunate incident lost my entire collection and Ive been slow to rebuild. Books are an amazing thing to collect IMO, there are some things that the internet just doesn't do well (for example, a tested recipe lmao)

Would kill to have some of my Rackham and Kay Nielsen stuff back =/

many, many years ago I was big into collecting Golden Age of Illustration Books. An unfortunate incident lost my entire collection and Ive been slow to rebuild. Books are an amazing thing to collect IMO, there are some things that the internet just doesn't do well (for example, a tested recipe lmao)

Would kill to have some of my Rackham and Kay Nielsen stuff back =/
Agreed. I dont know how many countless hours Ive spent scanning the shelves and stacks of bookstores and warehouses, I used to travel a lot and it was something I did everywhere I went, it was wonderful hobby that I don't do so much anymore.

Decided to convert headlights to RS version. Came out great!
C72E78C6-E4EE-4BDA-879C-A68E2E9B472C.jpeg
7B1561CA-2EBF-43D9-9531-BD2669CCD1FD.jpeg
57093EFE-BF6E-4C7F-AAB8-D73C5B025074.jpeg

Know sticking to original as possible with vintage cars is prized. But don't have any problem with well done resto mods that make car .more drivable. Modern suspension, disk brakes, cooling & engine mods. Just went to car show with Buddy. He drove his 1971 Comet GT to the show. His friend parked next to us with his 66 Mustang had better radiator, disk brakes modern headlights. The car has such nice lines these are not as sought as 65,66 Fastbacks. But still very nice 66.

.Nice Camero Z-28 you have.

Richards 71 Comet & 66 Mustang few other cars.
IMG_20230422_163219002.jpg

IMG_20230422_173857101.jpg
IMG_20230422_173916596_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230422_170341921.jpg
IMG_20230422_163337949.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_163419973.jpg
    IMG_20230422_163419973.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
just earlier I fell in love with a Buick custom special Riviera hardtop coupe '52...no, noo, NO...

I'll stick to audio as my nr 1 expensive hobby...

Photography. But I think cooking is up there if I include all the things that it entails🤷‍♂️
I've never gone through the exercise but, not counting the kitchen and built-in appliances, I think the total contents still reach into the tens of thousands of dollars. Glassware, crockery, cutlery, kitchen knives, utensils, small appliances, pots, pans, etc. It quickly adds up. If I had to buy all this stuff all at once instead accumulating it over decades, I'd say "no way I'm going to pay that!"

Know sticking to original as possible with vintage cars is prized. But don't have any problem with well done resto mods that make car .more drivable. Modern suspension, disk brakes, cooling & engine mods. Just went to car show with Buddy. He drove his 1971 Comet GT to the show. His friend parked next to us with his 66 Mustang had better radiator, disk brakes modern headlights. The car has such nice lines these are not as sought as 65,66 Fastbacks. But still very nice 66.

.Nice Camero Z-28 you have.

Richards 71 Comet & 66 Mustang few other cars.
View attachment 242998

View attachment 242994View attachment 242995View attachment 242996View attachment 242997
I try to stay close to original but I’ve had a few restomods and I have no problem converting drum brakes to disc. In most cases, I don’t think it affects value unless it’s a very rare car.
Love the Comet! Don’t see many of them.

my hobby just got way more expensive. i discovered a bait that comes out of Japan. my local bass population love it. dont know if they have never seen it before, but it is killing it. the bait is delicate and last for a short time.

this is very Bad. bad.

just earlier I fell in love with a Buick custom special Riviera hardtop coupe '52...no, noo, NO...

I'll stick to audio as my nr 1 expensive hobby...
That car had the Fireball straight 8. Was discussing with my brother about cars year we were born. He was born 1957 plenty nice cars. Me 1949 a lot of ugly cars. The 1949 Buick Roadmaster was a nicer car.

Actually going overseas 1949 was important year for Porsche the 356 went into full production. Now that's a car wouldn't mind having. My brother got into restoring Alfa Romeros when you could buy fixer uppers for cheap. He also help restore a1950's Porsche 356 with a German friend did a lot of welding on that car.

That car had the Fireball straight 8. Was discussing with my brother about cars year we were born. He was born 1957 plenty nice cars. Me 1949 a lot of ugly cars. The 1949 Buick Roadmaster was a nicer car.

Actually going overseas 1949 was important year for Porsche the 356 went into full production. Now that's a car wouldn't mind having. My brother got into restoring Alfa Romeros when you could buy fixer uppers for cheap. He also help restore a1950's Porsche 356 with a German friend did a lot of welding on that car.
imagine the amount of welding on old Alfa's ;-)

A friend of me drove a Rüf Porsche 911 back when, fun as it was I found it did not even come close to the flea powered Lotus Elise S he bought few years later.

I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a rod, but didn't really get serious about the offshore stuff until a couple years ago. It is expensive, but now that I've got most of the gear and only need to worry about ticket prices and consumable equipment, it's a bit easier to stomach.

Resized_20221212_221156.jpeg
20220906_104404.jpg
20220906_065329.jpg
Resized_20220209_001741.jpeg
Resized_20211130_024745.jpeg
Resized_20211129_183149.jpeg

This hobby here. I’m into pour over coffee but after getting to the price point of C40 most grinder taste all similarly good to me so I don’t see the point of upgrading, and I like simple coffees, maybe occasionally Gesha just to try. I also like computers but not much point upgrading my computer every year, I helps close friends and family build theirs with no extra charge so that satisfy my itch. Knives are kind different tho, unlike those hobbies where there’s a clear metric of better, after a certain point knives are just interesting, there’s a lot of stuff personal to an artisan knives, which is kind like Yi Xin tea pot my friend is into.

that last one is quite a catch !

Yeah. Guessing it's about a 90 million pounder?
That's Perdido, it's actually the deepest platform in the world, over ~8,000ft of water. Some years ago they filmed this Magnapinna squid at that platform, and every time I've fished there it makes me think about what could be under us

I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a rod, but didn't really get serious about the offshore stuff until a couple years ago. It is expensive, but now that I've got most of the gear and only need to worry about ticket prices and consumable equipment, it's a bit easier to stomach.

View attachment 243528View attachment 243529View attachment 243530View attachment 243531View attachment 243532View attachment 243533
Nice Yellowfin Tuna, Ahi good sashimi. That red snapper is good eating fish. What are you fishing off of an oil platform?

Back