Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good, not worth the bucks on the Pappy. A buddy of mine got really lucky in a liquor store on a road trip a few years back. It is good booze, but not worth the hype inflated price to me at least. JvW is hopefully getting filthy off of it though, his marketing has been perfect, and he is a real gentleman.

I quite like bourbon but I absolutely refuse to sign up for a lottery.

I can take or leave the price. Some things are worth experiencing. Pappy is probably one of them. For the price, I could find another bottle of alcohol I'd rather have, true, but that's irrespective of the overall experience. I can readily imagine a situation where I would go for it.

Plenty of other choices as good or better than Pappy at a fraction of the inflated cost. Altho, Bourbon has now become a short term future IMO; Pappy being case in point

on the note of whisky, anyone else loving the offerings from High West? The campfire for example...

I'm a huge fan of high west. Rendezvous Rye, Son of Bourye, both solid bottles. I think they may be close to bottling their own barrels. I believe they were buying from other houses and blending in the beginning.

CAR PARTS !! its always a kick in the wallet between jknives and turbos

thanks for the PAPPY update. maybe i'll drag my lazy butt into a bar in San Fran to take a nip at an ounce or two. (probably cost as much :))

Not too impressed by the pappy 20, considering the price. Far more impressed by the dregs of an Old Grandpa dusty that JohnnyChance brought by my place when he visited last summer. Made me re-think how complex bourbon could truly be. Chewy mouth feel, toffee, caramel, tamarind, vanilla... Nice front palate heat, with a smooth, viscous finish.

45.jpg.html]
DSC00245.jpg
[/URL]

And you don't play any of them?! Good lord, you truly are an artist.

Watches now, due to that what's on your wrist thread a few months back.

Any experience with Pappy? Pappy Van Winkle 20yr is on my bucket list.

Buffalo Trace had a few bottles under $100 at the distillery tour a few years back. I never really understood the great attraction to the 20. The 23yr is a different beast but of course it's far more $$ and harder to find than Hens teeth. If you ever get near Lexington the tour is well worth the time. I'd rather have a bottle of Blanton's Gold.

not sure if I'm the only one around here that's into golf, but that is a BIG hobby of mine, I find it relaxing to play by myself

Ordering a bag from Wotancraft (Avenger) just cemented the position of photography as my most expensive hobby ...

Ordering a bag from Wotancraft (Avenger) just cemented the position of photography as my most expensive hobby ...

I'd never heard of Wotancraft, but now I do. Will you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not point out such beautiful things again? Now I'll be thinking the rest of the week about spending my money on something I didn't even know that existed a couple of minutes ago... :eyebrow:

So many hobbies over the year, seems likeno matter what, the budget gets higher and higher with each new hobby!

Originally, was really into salt water aquariums. (3) 250 gallon tanks, one for corals only, one for fish only, one for a mix. At least 10 smaller tanks for support and specific specific species. Lost interest when I couldn't really travel as much as I wanted. Don't want to think how much $ I spent on this one.

Used to be really into cars and racing/track stuff. After building a few street and racecars, I started a motorsports consulting company (my pitch was "how to turn your hobby into a tax deductible business"), worked all over the professional racing industry, got burned out. Was at the track 6 days a week for the last 2 years of it, have driving everytype of racer out there, and realized I would never be able to afford this "hobby" at the level I wanted to be involved. My clients were spending $100k+ a weekend to go racing and the grassroots stuff I could afford on my own just didn't cut it once I had a taste of the the banks at Daytona and such.

Still really into watches, but got rid of most of my really expensive pieces a few years ago. Now, I only keep ones I wear at least 2-3 days a month. As you can see, it's a pretty basic "collection" despite visiting a watch forum at least once a day to check on discussions and look for some grail pieces. Probably spend 15 hours a week on this one...
IMG_0198.jpg

Pens are like an extension of watches. It started with my first Panerai watch (PAM162) caming with a matching serial # Montegrappa pen. Every once in a while I find another cool pen and it seems now I have a "collection" but it's not really a "hobby" I spend anytime on.
IMG_0225.jpg

Audio, originally home stereo and now exclusively 2 Channel analog, is a shared hobby with friends. Cigars and scotch or tequila with hours a week spent comparing album pressings and versions. Probably spend 10-15 hours a week on this one, but mostly listening and enjoying it. Spend maybe 2-4 hours a month vinyl shopping.

Tequila is huge for me. Spent alot of time in Mexico, toured some distilleries, and the more I learned, the more hooked I got. I've got 68 bottles now in various stages of being drunk, but by the time I get another bottle or two, I've completely drained another so the total count usually doesn't go higher. I seek out Tequila bars, debate distillery processes and methods, and engage anyone I can in talking about it. I average a bottle or two a week, plus time in bars and such, so I'd say another 5-6 hours a week on JUST tequila (not counting bar time).

Traveling is by far my biggest obsession. I will drop anything I'm doing to go somewhere new. I've arranged my consulting business to maximize my travel. In the last 24 months, I've been to: Italy (4x's), Budapest, Sardinia, Cannes, Monaco, Barcelona (3x's), Canary Islands, South Africa, Germany (2x's), Switzerland, Qatar, Bali, Hawaii, Toronto, Quebec, Jamaica, Bahamas, Curacao, Cancun, Mexico City, Jalisco/Tequila, Ibiza...for the US, there's just too many places to begin to list. In the next 6 months: Jamaica, Costa Rica, St. Maarten, Ibiza, Bali, Philippines, Australia, Cayman Islands, Dubai. It takes me all of 30 minutes to pack for anywhere, I've got 2 pages left in my passport for stamps.

Related to travel is SCUBA diving. I've got a "go bag" that travels with me with my essential gear. In Philly, I volunteer at the local aquarium so I can get more time blowing bubbles. It's been 24 years I've been doing it, and def. don't do it enough. Diving gear is not expensive to upkeep once you get what you want, but each boat trip is $100/trip, and travel costs combined make for a pretty expensive hobby. Nothing like it though!

Also related to travel is Snowboarding. Going on 31 years now, even moved to a resort in Colorado for a year and lived at the base of the mountain. I'd like to spend more time on it, but about 2 trips to the Rockies and maybe 1 to the Alps is all my schedule now allows with my new consulting travel schedule.

Cooking isn't so much a hobby as it is a way for me to relax. I'll do dinner parties or just spend 3 hours prepping something for myself to eat and enjoy alone. When traveling, I cook for friends and would usually rather stay in and cook than eat out. The social aspect of getting together in the kitchen to the relaxing zen-like state I get in when prepping and cooking, it's more of a daily activity. Surprisingly, I joined this forum not so support a new hobby and start collecting knives, but instead to learn as much as I could so I could just purchase as few knives as possible to meet my needs...

I'd never heard of Wotancraft, but now I do. Will you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not point out such beautiful things again? Now I'll be thinking the rest of the week about spending my money on something I didn't even know that existed a couple of minutes ago... :eyebrow:

I hear you Mark don't know how many different items I have bought over the years because of this forum

Right now it's books and rebinding them into leather covers like this:

NoftW2.jpg

hobbit1.jpg

Calf leather at about $100 a skin, then of course I needed a machine to stamp the titles, that came out at nearly $2k, various knives to work the leather...fun hobby, but more expensive than I was expecting.

Audio, whisky, Danish furniture, Belstaff jackets, watches... I should dwindle down my hobbies. They are sucking me dry. Not that I'm complaining.

Right now it's books and rebinding them into leather covers like this:

NoftW2.jpg

hobbit1.jpg

Calf leather at about $100 a skin, then of course I needed a machine to stamp the titles, that came out at nearly $2k, various knives to work the leather...fun hobby, but more expensive than I was expecting.

Beau Niddle,

What a random and cool hobby to pick up! Do you do any custom work for "friends", I'm would love to get a copy of The Silver Spoon covered to give as a gift to a friend this holiday season

Back