Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...you guys make me feel like a slacker! Definitely food for me, either stuff to cook with (not including EQ), or going out. Firearms/ammo/training are probably #2, but I don't collect firearms, just a tool to me--I'm trying to get rid of all the firearms that didn't meet my needs. Lately, dating has cropped up as a new expense....and therefore clothes.

Jeez, Matus, you shouldn't completely hang your old hobby on the willows (a Dutch expression, if hope it is understandable). That is a very beautiful photo!

I would say that travel is probably our biggest indulgence. We try to take some sort of trip 2-4 times per year. Eating well is a constant theme on our travels.

Usually a two week trip to Europe every year or two (Germany, Austria & Hungary for Christmas/New Years in 2012, France in the fall of 2013 and planning to go to Switzerland in the fall of 2015).

We enjoy road trips for long weekends to get away and eat well. We don't eat fast food often or buy lunches out on a regular basis, preferring to splurge on a good meal instead.

Outside of that, we don't have kids so we have three dogs that we spoil. Our house takes a lot of financial resources (landscaping the rear last summer, just did new hardwood floors/carpet throughout before Christmas and have a bathroom that is in line for a major remodel...).

I didn't realise travel counted as a hobby :) That then, by a long, long way...

This:

2014_07_14TDNuerburgring-964-Cop_zps4c2dd784.jpg

For the money I burnt last year on amateur racing I could buy a knife collection to match the biggest knife nut on this site!

Jeez, Matus, you shouldn't completely hang your old hobby on the willows (a Dutch expression, if hope it is understandable). That is a very beautiful photo!

Thank you Mark :) Unfortunately - I have only few of photos like that. I still keep shooting medium format (some of my favourite photos were taken with Mamiya 6 and Rolleiflex - both shoot 6x6 cm photos). I hope to travel more this year and so more photography could happen.

Track cars - that is so cool.

Wine - I should start to count that too - our last expense on that topic was worth a nice Shig :)

Barbecue.

However, this is more than a hobby for me.

Wine by a long shot.

As proof that no matter what you spend on a hobby and how much you perceive that to be, there is always someone who spends more, I recently looked at my purchases from last year to my 4 top wineries. I was a bit shocked at the sum I had spent.

Then, I go on another forum and see a poster saying he just passed the 100K mark with one winery of lifetime purchases.

I "almost" quit collecting wine that day.

Wine was in the forefront for a hot second until my wife and I decided to stop drinking our "inventory".
Let me rephrase that. I tired to hold onto a lot of great bottles and put some time on them. But apparently my wife and I are poor (read impatient) wine collectors. I even had to hide some of the "good stuff" from her.
And when I say we decided to stop, it really was us being pregnant that stopped it for us.
I do still however have several bottles that survived our cellar raids. Ones that were given to me by the wine makers when they would visit my wine bar for special dinners.

I never was a wine collector on a very high level (no long-storage Bordeaux etc.), and more interested in good values than top rank ones. But when I got the job offer for hawaii, I was not sure what to do for a moment, because I had close to 800 bottles in my cellar. I decided to give them up, gave away many to our wine group and sold a lot on Ebay (Which is possible in Germany. Actually, if you know the good sellers, it's an excellent wine market). Now I am down to a 50 bottle fridge that has too many dessert wines in it (I shlepped these over from Germany), and cash flow is too low to keep it stocked on the level I would like. Maybe one day will be back in a position to maintain that better.

Stefan

Collecting cookbooks for me around 30+ and like 40 on the amazon wishlist so quite abit of $$$ is put towards that. :biggrin:

Woodworking is my most expensive hobby by far. The costs of wood and tools have exceeded the combined cost of all my knives and things are getting worse.

The results I have seen definitely make it worthwhile!

I've got like 6 large moving boxes filled with cookbooks at home, and many more in the store. I used to be way more in to them, but now it seems i just buy them to have them, as i have 6 new ones i havent even looked at yet.

Yeah, you know you've got enough cookbooks when there's a stack of them you've yet to even open.
I stumbled upon an estate sale back in 98 of a deceased chef instructor. His basement was full of books (text books, cookbooks, equipment books, management, hotel, legal, etc) dating back to the 50's. The lady running the sell noticed my interest and commented that I was the only one who expressed any. She said "make me an offer". All I had was $40 to cover drinks for the weekend. Needless to say, I left with boxes and boxes of books, and waited till next pay period for drinks out. I still have several of these.

For me I would have to say I spend a fair amount of money on whisky and beer, though to some my collection may be small, about 15 bottles of single malt and bourbon with about 30 750ml cellarable beers, and 30 more standard sized beers. I also have a large cookbook collection, after seeing some numbers here i was interested and counted mine, 94 and thats above my lucky peach and Fool magazines.

My messy home office turn baby storage room. This is only part of the stash...

20150211_194423_zps770f1ebb.jpg

I used to be really into 60's era Marvel comics. Spent many a morning regretting my tipsy late night bids on ebay. Nowadays...? Clothing, by far. Been really obsessed with handmade jeans, boots, and all things Filson lately.

Do women count?

My messy home office turn baby storage room. This is only part of the stash...

20150211_194423_zps770f1ebb.jpg

Ahh, I see your Star Wars Monopoly game! Let's play!
I also have Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, but I can't find anyone to play with me...............

I'm into target shooting and reloading. I actually sold my knife collection to fund this hobby. I ended up collecting more stuff than I needed so I sold that stuff to fund my latest hobby, home coffee roasting.

Fly fishing with classic tackle, including bamboo fly rods.

jm_reidspey4.jpg

Back