Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
track car (doing this very little now)

bowhunting (eating up my track car money)

when my wife worked i was ballstothewall with both. when she got laid off, and went to nursing school we had an adult conversation and she asked me to choose one of them. i stuck with bowhunting. i honestly think the track car would have been cheaper.

shhhhh...i just ordered my first "custom" hunting/bushcraft knife. hahahhaha..

i might just have to sell the Porsche!!

This is a pretty shocking thread. My worst extravagance has been wives followed by divorce. Cars, watches, hi fi, motorbikes, travel, cameras all have been or still are addictions mostly under control or moved on from. I buy a lot of cookery books but hardly ever use them for cookery (I look through and then shelve them), and quite a few knives. I am trying to be sensible with the knives and stones and make sure I use what I buy.

Really I need to have a massive sale and strip back to only having good stuff that I actually use!

I'm having a hard time with this thread. Is it therapeutic (others have worse problems than I do and that makes me feel good)? Depressing (this is where I am heading)? A warning shot (take stock now, or it will get worse)? Or is it just a some social commentary on the balance between passion and excess? With that said, I do feel as if I should start selling some of my possessions and giving things to goodwill.

k.

I'm having a hard time with this thread. Is it therapeutic (others have worse problems than I do and that makes me feel good)? Depressing (this is where I am heading)? A warning shot (take stock now, or it will get worse)? Or is it just a some social commentary on the balance between passion and excess? With that said, I do feel as if I should start selling some of my possessions and giving things to goodwill.

k.

huh? i read the thread as "most expensive" hobby. that's it. not ones that are crushing us into debt..and excess? i dont define anyone else's excess. good or bad, that everyone else's decision. i dont think anyone has problems. not any that i have seen indicated.

it sucks that some fun things cost money. i wouldnt go into debt for fun. not even close. it's just the "most expensive" which is relative, because everything else i do is kinda cheap. but bowhunting isnt a debt creator..i guess it could be. but some of your knives are more daunting to me and my budget. :)

excess? You mean like accumulating a tire changing machine, balancing machine, scissors lift and two post lift???? How could one even remotely consider that excess when it's needed to help maintain the car? it's kinda like needing a collection of stones because because a Henkels pull-through sharpener is not good for these dang Japenese knives :D

My knives are worth several times the value of my truck, sooooooo I'm thinking I'll have to go with kitchen knives and all the associated activities.

Be well,
Mikey

There was a time at the peak of my excess I bought houses. One for my daughter, one for vacation and one to live in.

Not sure why I needed a vacation house. The one I lived in was on a lake. (Photo taken from the pier.)

huh? i read the thread as "most expensive" hobby. that's it. not ones that are crushing us into debt..and excess? i dont define anyone else's excess. good or bad, that everyone else's decision. i dont think anyone has problems. not any that i have seen indicated.

it sucks that some fun things cost money. i wouldnt go into debt for fun. not even close. it's just the "most expensive" which is relative, because everything else i do is kinda cheap. but bowhunting isnt a debt creator..i guess it could be. but some of your knives are more daunting to me and my budget. :)

Btw, I was just joking a bit when I wrote that. There are so many fun and expensive hobbies that I have done or would love to do, and I wasn't making a commentary on other people's 'bad habits'. I'm apologize if it came off that way. I just find it interesting to see what people focus and get passionate about -- and also allow themselves to spend to take it to the next level. And it also made me think about myself a bit.

That's it. :)

k.

I've been thinking of getting into breast implants, maybe four or five of them...that would probably make them my most expensive hobby.

track car (doing this very little now)

bowhunting (eating up my track car money)

when my wife worked i was ballstothewall with both. when she got laid off, and went to nursing school we had an adult conversation and she asked me to choose one of them. i stuck with bowhunting. i honestly think the track car would have been cheaper.

I would have naively though that bow for bow hunting would be cheaper to get and keep using than a track car. What is there the main cost factor? Do you miss that often ? :p :angel2: (sorry, could not think of anything else)

I've been thinking of getting into breast implants, maybe four or five of them...that would probably make them my most expensive hobby.

Unlike gyutos, I've always found two at a time to be plenty.:whistling:

Be well,
Mikey

That's so oldschool. You should try 8-12 breasts at once. You won't regret it :D

Well, I did get to go skinny dipping with a lesbian softball team once. Not as fun as it sounds. Still fun mind you, just doesn't live up to expectations:biggrin:

Be well,
Mikey

I would have naively though that bow for bow hunting would be cheaper to get and keep using than a track car. What is there the main cost factor? Do you miss that often ? :p :angel2: (sorry, could not think of anything else)

the biggest cost are the hunting trips. camping, food, gas..licenses and tags.

in the USA, if you want to hunt another State, they charge you more if you dont live there. way more. they call it a non-resident fee, and it hurts.

the gear is cheap. relatively. my arrows might be $25 each and i dont lose them that often. :)

Convertables. Mercedes AMG CLK 63 & BMW 128i
Pets. 3 cats, my best friends (~300/month to pamper them)
Many Pool cues (by far my biggest investment) averaging ~2K each
Pistols (I used to be a skilled competitor)
Scotch...will always have a weakness for fine single malt (Ardbeg to Yamazaki)
Photography just picked up a D3 and D2x; accumulating lenses now
Watches a few Omegas, Hamiltons and many lesser. The interest is waning

Having children. So expensive it's nuts so I'm stopping at two.

Stereo and surround sound equipment. It's been built up over the last 35 years by buying equipment then upgrading and selling the old stuff. The only things I've kept are a Yamaha CR-820 receiver, a pair of ADS speakers from when Michael Kelly was designing them (he's now owner of Aerial which is what most of my speakers are now), a McIntosh MA6200 preamp, and a McIntosh MC2255.

Stereo and surround sound equipment. It's been built up over the last 35 years by buying equipment then upgrading and selling the old stuff. The only things I've kept are a Yamaha CR-820 receiver, a pair of ADS speakers from when Michael Kelly was designing them (he's now owner of Aerial which is what most of my speakers are now), a McIntosh MA6200 preamp, and a McIntosh MC2255.

Nice. I've had several of the higher end Yamaha integrated amps and loved them all. I gave away my last one right before I left Arizona in 2011. It was 21 years old and still sounded great paired up with a set of Pinnacle Gold Reference mains.

Used to be high-end stereo. But I ended up deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other because of surgery from a weird tumor and an infection.

Then wine. But I was diagnosed with cancer last year and in a few weeks I won't be able to drink any alcohol -ever- when they take out 40% of my liver.

So, I guess you can say my most expensive hobby is supporting surgeons.

Used to be high-end stereo. But I ended up deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other because of surgery from a weird tumor and an infection.

Then wine. But I was diagnosed with cancer last year and in a few weeks I won't be able to drink any alcohol -ever- when they take out 40% of my liver.

:( what else can I say. Get well soon.

Thanks, but my post was meant to be funny, not a buzzkill.

Fact is, I've enjoyed some of the best wines in the world with some great people. The people are still there, so I'm not missing anything.

We're all dealt hands we gotta play, and in the scheme of things my life is pretty fuggin' good. I'm not feeling bad about it; confident it'll work out.

So, that leaves getting stuff that makes the missus happy, like furniture and ceiling lights.

Dude, that's definatly a habit you need to break. Maybe they have a patch for it?

Be (get) well,
Mikey

Fact is, I've enjoyed some of the best wines in the world with some great people. The people are still there, so I'm not missing anything.

We're all dealt hands we gotta play, and in the scheme of things my life is pretty fuggin' good. I'm not feeling bad about it; confident it'll work out.

So, that leaves getting stuff that makes the missus happy, like furniture and ceiling lights.

Still crappy to have to go through this. Hope it will all work out to the best.

Stefan

best of luck..and i toast your humorous and positive attitude. oh...i said, "BEST OF LUCK..AND I TOAST YOUR......."

too soon? :D

i truly wish you the best, and i hope you kick it's ass.

Wow, what a fantastic attitude - your glass is more than half full, it's practically overflowing.

I wish you well!

Thanks for the well wishes, but let's get this thread back on track. What other people posted was pretty interesting.

Thanks for the well wishes, but let's get this thread back on track. What other people posted was pretty interesting.

What hobby is next in the line (once you will be done with surgeons - I am wishing you it will be soon)?

Back