Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audio is definitely my most expensive hobby. A couple of years ago I took a 20’x30’ out building and turned it into a listening room. Lots of room treatments, tube gear, open baffle custom made speakers and a state of the art tube dac with volume control. I use a macmini as a music server with audirvana software. It was expensive to set up but now that it’s done upgrades and new music are my only real costs. Picture of my room and some gear from a get together I had when a bunch of guys brought over equipment to try.
46A37389-D2CE-45C0-AA06-679D1114C751.jpeg
FE94CDE9-E4E7-485E-B32C-B307D85F43A6.jpeg
341A1182-837D-4C5E-B551-96C451422C92.jpeg

I think my BIL's is a '66' or '67. Pretty sure he told me HP is in the 300s, but it was a couple of years ago. He let me drive it on the country roads around where he lives in PA. The sound and power was nice. it appeals to the opposite side of the brain than my '87 Carrera.

I think my BIL's is a '66' or '67. Pretty sure he told me HP is in the 300s, but it was a couple of years ago. He let me drive it on the country roads around where he lives in PA. The sound and power was nice. it appeals to the opposite side of the brain than my '87 Carrera.
My BIL has an 07 carrera. Great car and fun to drive.

I’ve had your dac in my system when a fellow audiophile brought it over for a get together. My Lapizator dac is also a Nos dac. The Metrum is a nice dac and sounded very good that day. And you hit the old proverbial nail on the head with this comment about involvement and musicality, I couldn’t agree with you more.

MarcelNL said
I consider my Metrum R2R DAC quite nice, for sure the new tube amp will outclass any class D amp, believe me I've heard plenty class D and yes they can do great but involvement and musicality is not their Forté.

Kayak Bass fishing is putting a big DENT in all my other activities. i'm obsessed with catching a GIANT. too bad i kinda suck at the moment. but that's the rub. the fishing is getting better as i am getting better. i cast more accurately, i know more spots, etc.

this could ruin my other hobbies. i cant even remember the last time i was on my mountain bike. GAH!!

Kayak Bass fishing is putting a big DENT in all my other activities. i'm obsessed with catching a GIANT. too bad i kinda suck at the moment. but that's the rub. the fishing is getting better as i am getting better. i cast more accurately, i know more spots, etc.

this could ruin my other hobbies. i cant even remember the last time i was on my mountain bike. GAH!!
It's not expensive till you buy a Ranger bass boat. Don't ask how I know, and never calculate your cost per fish!

It's not expensive till you buy a Ranger bass boat. Don't ask how I know, and never calculate your cost per fish!
hahha.yes. funny story. my wife thought i SHOULD buy a boat. a bass boat. it was me that didnt want to. the GAS, the Maintenence, i have no where to store it, my truck is a tiny truck - i would need a new truck to tow. the CONS far outweighed the PROS. i am pretty happy with my Hobie Fishing Kayak.

having said that..i would go with a Vexux Boat, not a Ranger. i like the partial Aluminum construction for that plush ride. :)

Reactions: Kgp
I went through that discussion many years ago until my wife pointed out the price and variety of fish at the local market.

I know we are all dorky about knives here, but clearly we all have many other hobbies too. I've seen watches, vinyl records, cooking, eating out, travel, cameras, and more on here. Where does the bulk of your hard earned $$$ go?
If I really had money, pianos. Well, I'd only "collect" 2 or 3 at most, but pianos as nice as the knives on KKF are, are $100,000 give or take, so it adds up. And if you collect pianos, you also collect houses to put them in.

But no money, so I'll collect one knife and call it good. :)

I know we are all dorky about knives here, but clearly we all have many other hobbies too. I've seen watches, vinyl records, cooking, eating out, travel, cameras, and more on here. Where does the bulk of your hard earned $$$ go?

Personally, i'm a split between eating out and camera stuff. They both kill my wallet more than knives ever could.

Where do you guys stand? Or are you one of those REAL crazies who spends all of his/her hard earned cash on knives? :)
Collecting 1911 pistols.

Tiny USB charging blocks, broken Apple Lightning cables (I don't even use an iPhone or an iPad, and still there are a dozen in my apartment), old bills.

More seriously... nothing compared to the people on this thread, but I have a crap-ton of climbing (rock, ice, mountain, big wall - you name it) and camping gear (7 tents, 9 sleeping bags, 6 or 7 pads, stoves, filters, etc.).

Of course, none of that comes close to the price of my three kids.

Golf - I just signed up for a yearly membership at The Course at Wente designed by Greg Norman.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
I'm really enjoying it. Might be old fashioned with the VU meters, but I love it.
get their flagship CD transport and DAC to go with it , I believe they are DP90 and DP91, the one with a gazillion BB PCM63P-K DAC chips, highly recommended and can easily compete with all the newer stuff

Last edited:
Back