What's Your Shallot Slayer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While generally I decide which gyuto (yes, singular, and yes, I use a gyuto only most of the time) I am going to use, I assume in this case you're looking for a knife with a very thin tip which flies through shallots and the like? In that case, I'd probably say one of my custom Kamon gyutos. Those are definitely WH-style knives but they do have very thin tips.

If you're looking for smth. shorter, I'd probably take out one of my knives in the 150-180 length range: Shig KU nakiri, Watanabe nakiri, Watanabe petty,...

But honestly, I'm happy to use whichever knife I feel like grabbing in that moment. Chances are it will be a gyuto. *shrug*

For me, I like the bunka shape for shallots: the pointy tip, flat profile, and knuckle clearance make them perfect for the task. That said, I've never bought a bunka, but I did convert this Kyuzo nakiri a few months ago and it's definitely my best shallot slayer.

View attachment 131689
(Shallot slayer, posing with what's definitely not a shallot.)

Did you use a belt to sand it down from what I assume was a Nakiri rectangle shape?

Did you use a belt to sand it down from what I assume was a Nakiri rectangle shape?

Angle grinder, then belt grinder, then sandpaper to smooth things out.

Was it a great idea? Probably not. It was a nice nakiri, but I already had another nakiri (Kochi), so I decided to play around with this one a bit.

The end result is awkward looking, but it's fun to use. Thinnest tip I've ever experienced, hence the "shallot slayer" moniker.

I rarely have shallots. Just certain recipes. My little local grocery store doesn't even have them all the time. We have all kinds of onions so onions are what we use most of the time. My preferred knife is a 10-inch chef's knife. Sometimes I use smaller knives. I guess it depends on what else I am cutting.

Heiji 240 semi-stainless.
PXL_20210814_042539664.jpg

I have a new 225mm ±5mm gyuto in progress from Jules @Kippington. Length and handle aside I'm leaving most decisions up to Jules but I did specifically ask for "good release on alliums", which IME tends to be a tall order. I'm excited to see what he comes up with but I'm hoping for an onions, leeks, scallions, garlic, ramps, and shallot slayer.

Back