When a shinogi isn’t a shinogi… or; why you shouldn’t worry about your shinogi getting wavy when you then a “wide bevel”

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve know about this phenomenon and it’s well recorded here as well. But many of the knives we buy seem to have a “wide-bevel” when really it’s just an aesthetic finish applied where the grind in general starts. So if you get to thinning and polishing and get frustrated by a wavy shinogi, remember this is how the original finish probably got applied.

So what you're saying is that alongside our knife & stone collection we also need to invest in a sandblasting station?

The little template blocker thingy makes sense. Never really thought of it before.

I’ve encountered and been frustrated by many a wavy shinogi.

Ill have to admit, when I first saw the video I didn't register it as a deba. But I definitely think its the same approach they use to get that crisp faux shinogi on some knife. Of course there are true wide bevels as well, though most of the time you put them on stones and those grinds aren't as crisp as the stock visuals would have you think.

Perfect example of the hira not exactly interfacing with the bevel...

20221219_213556.jpg

The way i deal with that, since i don't have a sandblaster, is using finger stones. That or loose abrasive.

You can mark off where you want the shinogi with masking tape, and polish untile you have the desired finish and then remove it.

Back