When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Elliot

Reaction score
Sickness is an interesting word choice. I think it's addicting. I think it can easily move into what one may deem "unhealthy." From refreshing the JNS website every two seconds for a shot at the Kato Workhorse to exchanging messages with someone who as a line on a Shig Kitaeji that will cost more than two months of car payments, it can surely become a big part of your life rather quick.

I don't say this negatively, as I do all these things and more. But -- whatever "negative" this hobby has done (think $2k honyaki and a collection of Japanese natural stones that could be sold for a down payment on a luxury car), it brings a ton of joy and light. At least into my life. A bit sappy, but I figured why not.

For reference, I am attaching the current family photo. Almost all of this has been acquired in less than six months and there are about a half a dozen more middle of the road knives missing (Takeda AS, Hattori Forum, for example).

Not pictured, but already paid for and en route:

- TF Denka 240mm
- Togashi honyaki Aogami 1 "The James" 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm
- Raquin Suji 360mm (monster)

Closing in on a couple others.

OK, maybe I'm sick:D

Attachments

Chicagohawkie

Reaction score
Sickness is an interesting word choice. I think it's addicting. I think it can easily move into what one may deem "unhealthy." From refreshing the JNS website every two seconds for a shot at the Kato Workhorse to exchanging messages with someone who as a line on a Shig Kitaeji that will cost more than two months of car payments, it can surely become a big part of your life rather quick.

I don't say this negatively, as I do all these things and more. But -- whatever "negative" this hobby has done (think $2k honyaki and a collection of Japanese natural stones that could be sold for a down payment on a luxury car), it brings a ton of joy and light. At least into my life. A bit sappy, but I figured why not.

For reference, I am attaching the current family photo. Almost all of this has been acquired in less than six months and there are about a half a dozen more middle of the road knives missing (Takeda AS, Hattori Forum, for example).

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Lol! Certifiably sick! Many of us have been there. Some make it out, others never do.

DitmasPork

Reaction score

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Sickness or addiction? Hmmm. BTW, gorgeous knives you got.

Gotta question for you. Would you be able to last six months without using or looking at any of the knives from your collection—and during that time all you could use were Western knives in the sub-$100 range? Maybe use a perfectly functional Misen knife set for six months?

Elliot

Reaction score
Sickness or addiction? Hmmm. BTW, gorgeous knives you got.

Gotta question for you. Would you be able to last six months without using or looking at any of the knives from your collection—and during that time all you could use were Western knives in the sub-$100 range? Maybe use a perfectly functional Misen knife set for six months?
Thanks for the compliment?

Could I? Sure, without an issue, I think.

Anton

Reaction score

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Not a bad start

ACHiPo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you're watching the trailer for a horror movie (Happy Deathday 2U) and try to figure out what kind of knife is slashing out of the darkness.:rolleyes: