When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

When I bought my first J-knife, it was not because I really 'needed' another knife—I had perfectly functional Wustofs and Sabatiers in my arsenal. My maiden J-knife purchase was either the 240 Masamoto HC or 240 UX10 gyuto—can't remember which came first. I owe my interested to browsing ChefTalk, where a poster named Boar de Laze captured my imagination.

In 2013, my wife was diagnosed with cancer—she's fine now, doing great, in remission, pretty much back to normal. During that stressful period of a couple of years, perhaps needing a distraction I went through a flurry of knife purchases—Kato, Shig, Kono Fuji, Watanabe, Gengetsu, Kochi, KS, etc. My local knife vendor (Korin) was no longer adequate—so I needed to search the world for knives I needed—CKTG, JKI, JNS, K&S, MTC, Bernal, etc.

Now that life as regained a sense of normalcy, I still find myself obsessed with 'needing' to acquire a new knife when I can afford it. The knives I have are good, though my mind rationalizes 'needs,' finding faults where non-exsists—i.e. 'need a 180 petty to complement the 150,' 'need another Mazaki as a back up to my Mazaki in case he changes his profile again,' 'need to experience Heiji's carbon,' 'need a Silverthorn boner in case someone gives me a big haunch of venison that my other other two boners can't handle,' etc.

When I was an avid surfer in Hawai'i, I was aware of a 'Surfers Anonymous' group. When the surf was cranking, it was not uncommon for surfers' to break off dates with girlfriends (or boyfriends), skip out from jobs and important work meetings, forget to pick the kids up from soccer practice, etc.

Curious if any of you feel your knife collecting has ever gotten out of control?

My problem is that I enjoy sharpening, and specifically sharpening different knives. I'm not content with just sharpening the same knife over and over again. I know this is not rational..... At least this is what I use as an excuse to buy new knives, try them, sell rinse and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I like trying new knives, but my greater enjoyment comes from sharpening a new knife... and trying new stones...

My problem is that I enjoy sharpening, and specifically sharpening different knives. I'm not content with just sharpening the same knife over and over again. I know this is not rational..... At least this is what I use as an excuse to buy new knives, try them, sell rinse and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I like trying new knives, but my greater enjoyment comes from sharpening a new knife... and trying new stones...

I sharpen when I have to—only have 3 stones so far. Haven't fallen down the whetstone rabbit hole yet. Stones scare me, seeing prices of natural stones make me cringe a little. One of these days I'd love to try a natural stone to see what all the fuss is about.

Apologies to myself for going off topic—but, what's a good introductory natural stone that won't break the bank?

Seems to me that it's a form of obsessive/compulsive behavior. I've gone through several episodes of this over the years, and just starting to get into kitchen knives.

I've obsessed and bought high end pool cues, classic cars, shotguns, handguns, stereo equipment, coffee roasting and brewing equipment, bass boats, fishing equipment, and probably a dozen other things long forgotten. When I get into something, I develop an obsession and spend lots of time researching, studying, and buying.

It's made for an interesting life, and my kids will probably curse me when I'm gone because they will have to dispose of all my stuff, but I'm happy!

Ken

I dont have a knife sickness, but lost multiple jobs and girlfriends due to surfing.
It was worth every dang wave.

My high school was on a hill on the South Shore of Oahu, whenever there was a swell you can see the mist and white water in the distance over the trees—in class my and my buddies would then start scheming on when we'd ditch school! Also got grounded for a month once when there was a hurricane—my mom left a message saying "you are NOT to go surfing during the storm," I couldn't resist, went surfing, got grounded, ...worth it.

And I feel so .. I have nearly 20 Spiders and 30 Benchmades and 40 other folders, 50 Victorinox, over 100 fixed blade, and mor than 100 slip joints. For many years I used several Zwilling's and Shun's in the kitchen and I was OK. Six months ago I started to be interested in Japanese kitchen knives and now I already have eight new - 2 Wattanabe, 2 Shibata, Saji, Hirotomoto, TF, Mizuno Tanrenjo. Exscluding, the Vatanabe,s Mirooshi deba, and Hiromoto's Gyuto the others are waiting. I know people who was sold out expensive collections, and after one year they start again with very inexpensive and simple knives. I have an annual limit on the expense for the knives and stones, which I strictly follow. I think things are under control. But I agree that is sickness..

For me, it is the obsession to find the "perfect" chef's knife. I have others types of knives and they meet their needs. I rarely look to replace those. But I have way too many chef/gyutos. I keep experimenting to see if something is better. I have gone the custom route, but then I see another knife that is somehow different and I can't help myself to try it out. I want the one knife to rule them all.

For me, it is the obsession to find the "perfect" chef's knife. I have others types of knives and they meet their needs. I rarely look to replace those. But I have way too many chef/gyutos. I keep experimenting to see if something is better. I have gone the custom route, but then I see another knife that is somehow different and I can't help myself to try it out. I want the one knife to rule them all.
100% agree. Absolutely accurately formulated.

Seems to me that it's a form of obsessive/compulsive behavior. I've gone through several episodes of this over the years, and just starting to get into kitchen knives.

I've obsessed and bought high end pool cues, classic cars, shotguns, handguns, stereo equipment, coffee roasting and brewing equipment, bass boats, fishing equipment, and probably a dozen other things long forgotten. When I get into something, I develop an obsession and spend lots of time researching, studying, and buying.

It's made for an interesting life, and my kids will probably curse me when I'm gone because they will have to dispose of all my stuff, but I'm happy!

Ken
You have just described my life in a nutshell. And honestly have had every one of those interests and then some. Two that I've not strayed away from is chef knives and guns.

Ken
Well said!
From birth through elementary I collected:
Shells
Coins
Rocks
Marbles
Comics

In high school I collected:
Surfer and Surfing magazines
Surfboards (just 2)
Fishing tackle and other fishing paraphernalia
LPs

As an adult I collected:
CDs
Fishing tackle
Art
Cameras
Cookbooks
Cookware (got 5 mortar & pestles, etc.)
J-knives

Talking about the "sickness" on the forum that hosts the BST board we all love/hate, is like having an AA meeting inside the liquor store or a Jenny Craig meet up inside Popeyes.

I actually hate stuff, I regularly purge and throw away/give away anything I don't need. For the longest time I was more than happy with my CCK cleaver an a henckle parer ... Then ... I bought a Tojiro and found KKF. Over the last year I've bought more knives than I can possibly use as a home cook, and more stones than anyone really needs.

For the first time since last year I don't have a knife or stone in transit ... But with that .... Brings an emptiness to my heart ... Sometimes waiting for that package to arrive is like a drug.

We should start a knife swap initiative, every month send off one knife and recieve a different knife from someone different.

Talking about the "sickness" on the forum that hosts the BST board we all love/hate, is like having an AA meeting inside the liquor store or a Jenny Craig meet up inside Popeyes.

I actually hate stuff, I regularly purge and throw away/give away anything I don't need. For the longest time I was more than happy with my CCK cleaver an a henckle parer ... Then ... I bought a Tojiro and found KKF. Over the last year I've bought more knives than I can possibly use as a home cook, and more stones than anyone really needs.

For the first time since last year I don't have a knife or stone in transit ... But with that .... Brings an emptiness to my heart ... Sometimes waiting for that package to arrive is like a drug.

We should start a knife swap initiative, every month send off one knife and recieve a different knife from someone different.

Brilliant! I used to be quite a fan of Harry & David’s “Fruit of the Month Club”! January “kato,” February “Ks,” etc.

That’s about right. For me it’s not about maintaining a collection to have them all, but trying new ones in case one is just a few percent better for some task in some way, and to gain knowledge. On the other hand, I’ve got the best performing knives and maintain the sharpest edges in all the kitchens I’ve worked in and there’s no longer grounds to say I “need” all of the ones I have, much less more. But the Takamura Pro I just picked up blew me away, and I can’t imagine that I’ll be disappointed in a Maboroshi...

Catching the wanting more knives bug is just you getting into a hobby like anything else. How much is too much? I say when you start letting it become.a higher priority than necessities.
I actually make it a point never to buy a knife with my CC, only buy when I have extra money on hand—simply because I don't trust myself.

I bought one yesterday....

And now my PP account is depleted, as well as my checking account that was connected to it. Problem is: when moving to another country last year we decided to simplify our lives and only have one checking account (joint) and one credit card each....

That means that now (that my old checking account that was only mine) is depleted, my wife would see every single knife transaction.

So I either have a f***ing good excuse or I finally need to go through with my years old plan of only buying when selling ....

FML.... I’m gonna hide in the bathroom and cry a little now....

And now my PP account is depleted, as well as my checking account that was connected to it. Problem is: when moving to another country last year we decided to simplify our lives and only have one checking account (joint) and one credit card each....

Where did you move? Don't know if my wife and I could do one bank account together, seems tough. Simpler in some ways, maybe not so much in others...

That means that now (that my old checking account that was only mine) is depleted, my wife would see every single knife transaction.

So I either have a f***ing good excuse or I finally need to go through with my years old plan of only buying when selling ....

FML.... I’m gonna hide in the bathroom and cry a little now....

I hear you, I also share the CC with my wife. A short while back we got a little monetary gift, split it between us, $300 each with the purpose of buying ourselves a new pair of shoes of a coat, ...or "anything we needed." Ended up buying another knife.

The thing that keeps me coming back is a fascination with how different executions of profiles, grinds and even surface finishes affect performance.

Last edited:
I knew i had a problem when i had 3 of the same knife

giphy.gif

Back