When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude these look amazing! Let me know if you wanna let the Yoshi go, I'd like to compare it to the Takamura Uchigumo. Can't wait until Kip makes it to me on his list. I'm really exited to try one of these things.
Thanks!
We might have to work out a borrowing situation. I wanna test out an uchi.

When you watch some guy on YouTube sharpening a knife for a whole hour without saying a single word, and you find that interesting.

When you watch some guy on YouTube sharpening a knife for a whole hour without saying a single word, and you find that interesting.

Oh no... confirmed

For those who wish to be cured of this illness, sell your best knives at dirt cheap prices...

I’ll volunteer to help with this :)

The sickness is real, when the thread discussing the sickness becomes a WTB thread of epic proportions [emoji55]

When you make a half-hour video of yourself sharpening a knife. When you then watch it five times in a row to make sure it's right. When you then watch it again the next day, five times in a row, to make sure it's still right. When you then finally post it, thinking to yourself "man, that's the best damn bitchin' sharpening video anyone's ever made…"

I feel the same, love of J knives is inevitable. But the serious issue for me is I don't want to sell any of them. They are like my babies, really difficult to let them go. And now I'm also into the rabbit hole of kiridashi.

Good news is I'm not so crazy about Jnats, a set of synthetic and a couple of Jnats, meet all my needs, for now.

How does this look with knives loaded. I'm having a hard time imagining them not all being loose and moving around.
This is an old picture, it has been modified since to add more knives along the sides. This belongs to a friend of mine, he had a bunch of loose blocks, decided to put them together.

3QYpZu6.jpg

Is your friend married?

He has a much more tolerant wife that I do!

This is an old picture, it has been modified since to add more knives along the sides. This belongs to a friend of mine, he had a bunch of loose blocks, decided to put them together.

3QYpZu6.jpg

VERY IMPRESSIVE! Is this the center attraction of a carnivorous supper party where everyone picks a knife to use? In the front row, is the TF standing on its tip?

Is your friend married?
He has a much more tolerant wife that I do!

LOL! He is! And she is very tolerant, she also enjoys working with the knives.

VERY IMPRESSIVE! Is this the center attraction of a carnivorous supper party where everyone picks a knife to use? In the front row, is the TF standing on its tip?

Love the party idea, I'll have to mention that to him. He said the TF and the Carter tips clear the board but they are very close. The handle stops them just short of the bottom. Says the top slots on each side will accommodate 270mm, the slots get smaller as they go lower, but the second from top will take 210's.

3QYpZu6.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I like that it doesn’t have fixed sized slots like a standard block.

I have a problem.
The feeling of getting a new knife is like a drug. I am addicted to knives. I know a lot of people that loves knives and that make me want to buy more knives. I had to leave a friend chat because of that, I was passing more time talking about knives instead of talking to my wife. It turned in a obsession, many can call it hobby, but for me is not.
Have more than 100 knives and everyday I am planning in sell 50 of them but I end up not doing it.
Only one thing I am sure that the day I will become a father I will certainly keep only 35. That is the promise I did to myself and my future family [emoji128].

Wrong! You need to put 65 away that you will later give to kids. Btw nakiris are great kids knives!

3QYpZu6.jpg
We need a side shot of that cool knife block.

2Ljrkwo.jpg
I knew i had a problem when i had 3 of the same knife

LOL, yeah, I know that feel. Proud owner of three 9'' Wüsthof Classics here(along with about 60 other chef knives). Bought the first one used, then bought a new one because I just wanted to have a knife that was "virgin", then bought another one used because the price was too good to pass up. Same with RC cars, RC planes, fountain pens and watches. Thankfully my obsessions usually dont last too long and are counterbalanced by my stingyness.

Last edited:
Back