When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an old picture, it has been modified since to add more knives along the sides. This belongs to a friend of mine, he had a bunch of loose blocks, decided to put them together.

3QYpZu6.jpg
My wife would probably kill me if I had that many knives... That being said, she does appreciate my knives, but not the general care and maintenance that go with them. Thankfully, she wipes the carbons down after use.

Last edited:
I normally keep just a few knives in the kitchen drawer that's designated for my personal knives. Should have a sign that reads "Kapu!"—Hawaiian for "Keep out!" or "Forbidden!" In it at any given time are two or three gyutos, a couple of pettys, misc. stuff like moribashi chopsticks and tweezers. Since I buy knives with PayPal, my wife didn't have an idea as to the amount of knives I owned until one day when she was dusting off the flat files! She thinks it's excessive, but honestly, compared to a lot of KKFers, my collection seems quite humble. Some people I know are obsessed with cars or cameras or watches or stereo equipment—it's kitchen knives and cookware that excites me and occupies my desires when I have extra money on hand.

This is an older photo, so now some knives are double parked.

qmr5FU6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Kit Ditmas! Just remind your wife that all that lovely food she enjoys comes from these knives. That there is no way ;-), of making such delicious food without them. How can she argue with that.

Will try that! The communal knives in our kitchen are a 8 inch Wustof, 8 inch Mercer, two Sabs and a Mac Pro petty that's often found dangerously lurking in mixing bowls submerged in soupy water or sitting point up (or down) in the metal cutlery caddy (drainer).

The communal knives in our kitchen are a 8 inch Wustof, 8 inch Mercer, two Sabs and a Mac Pro petty that's often found dangerously lurking in mixing bowls submerged in soupy water or sitting point up (or down) in the metal cutlery caddy (drainer).
The communal knives in my house are from a Mundial block. My wife sometimes complains that they are too sharp.

I often find them submerged in the sink amongst cutlery and crockery. I'm not sure if this is in an effort to fix the sharpness problem [emoji15]

Last edited:
This is an old picture, it has been modified since to add more knives along the sides. This belongs to a friend of mine, he had a bunch of loose blocks, decided to put them together.

3QYpZu6.jpg

You wouldn thappen to know what the four knives in the front are? Especially the two to the right are beauties

Thank you very much. Teruyasu Fujiwara seems to be very beautiful and functional knives

Anyone ever make the mistake of getting the calculator out and totaling the cash you have tied up in your collection? I did last weekend, it wasn't pretty.

Anyone ever make the mistake of getting the calculator out and totaling the cash you have tied up in your collection? I did last weekend, it wasn't pretty.

love that KS. it's a 270, feels a bit bigger. picked it up on the forum a few years back and have cleaned it up a bit.

I keep thinking I'll do a massive sell-off and get down to what I routinely use. but then I buy a few more....

Oh, crap, I need a bread knife!
I have a Mac Superior bread knife that I'm quite happy with—think it was around $85.

Of all the types of knives I have, the bread knife is probably the one I could do without, not essential to me. I'll often just use my gyuto to slice bread and cakes.

Perfect use of words though. It's only tied up because when I get tired of it I'll just sell it and get what I paid back. It sounds like a lot of money but is actually free. At least that's what I tell my gf, I don't think she's buying it anymore.

Latest posts

Back