When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sickness is an interesting word choice. I think it's addicting. I think it can easily move into what one may deem "unhealthy." From refreshing the JNS website every two seconds for a shot at the Kato Workhorse to exchanging messages with someone who as a line on a Shig Kitaeji that will cost more than two months of car payments, it can surely become a big part of your life rather quick.

I don't say this negatively, as I do all these things and more. But -- whatever "negative" this hobby has done (think $2k honyaki and a collection of Japanese natural stones that could be sold for a down payment on a luxury car), it brings a ton of joy and light. At least into my life. A bit sappy, but I figured why not.

For reference, I am attaching the current family photo. Almost all of this has been acquired in less than six months and there are about a half a dozen more middle of the road knives missing (Takeda AS, Hattori Forum, for example).

Not pictured, but already paid for and en route:

- TF Denka 240mm
- Togashi honyaki Aogami 1 "The James" 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm
- Raquin Suji 360mm (monster)

Closing in on a couple others.

OK, maybe I'm sick:D

Attachments

• fam2-b.jpg
    fam2-b.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 179
Sickness is an interesting word choice. I think it's addicting. I think it can easily move into what one may deem "unhealthy." From refreshing the JNS website every two seconds for a shot at the Kato Workhorse to exchanging messages with someone who as a line on a Shig Kitaeji that will cost more than two months of car payments, it can surely become a big part of your life rather quick.

I don't say this negatively, as I do all these things and more. But -- whatever "negative" this hobby has done (think $2k honyaki and a collection of Japanese natural stones that could be sold for a down payment on a luxury car), it brings a ton of joy and light. At least into my life. A bit sappy, but I figured why not.

For reference, I am attaching the current family photo. Almost all of this has been acquired in less than six months and there are about a half a dozen more middle of the road knives missing (Takeda AS, Hattori Forum, for example).

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Lol! Certifiably sick! Many of us have been there. Some make it out, others never do.

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Sickness or addiction? Hmmm. BTW, gorgeous knives you got.

Gotta question for you. Would you be able to last six months without using or looking at any of the knives from your collection—and during that time all you could use were Western knives in the sub-$100 range? Maybe use a perfectly functional Misen knife set for six months?

Sickness or addiction? Hmmm. BTW, gorgeous knives you got.

Gotta question for you. Would you be able to last six months without using or looking at any of the knives from your collection—and during that time all you could use were Western knives in the sub-$100 range? Maybe use a perfectly functional Misen knife set for six months?

Thanks for the compliment?

Could I? Sure, without an issue, I think.

- TF Denka 240mm
- Kato Workhorse 240mm
- Hiromoto honyaki 240mm
- Raquin Gyuto 255mm

Not a bad start

Seems to me that it's a form of obsessive/compulsive behavior. I've gone through several episodes of this over the years, and just starting to get into kitchen knives.

I've obsessed and bought high end pool cues, classic cars, shotguns, handguns, stereo equipment, coffee roasting and brewing equipment, bass boats, fishing equipment, and probably a dozen other things long forgotten. When I get into something, I develop an obsession and spend lots of time researching, studying, and buying.

It's made for an interesting life, and my kids will probably curse me when I'm gone because they will have to dispose of all my stuff, but I'm happy!

Ken

Truer words have not been spoken.

My high school was on a hill on the South Shore of Oahu, whenever there was a swell you can see the mist and white water in the distance over the trees—in class my and my buddies would then start scheming on when we'd ditch school! Also got grounded for a month once when there was a hurricane—my mom left a message saying "you are NOT to go surfing during the storm," I couldn't resist, went surfing, got grounded, ...worth it.

Used to like going over the saddle through the pineapple fields coming over the hill first sight
of Haleiwa in the distance. Lines of sets rolling in. 🤪

Technically speaking something becomes considered an addiction once it starts negatively impacting other parts of your life.
When it comes to knives I think another criterium you could use is 'when the knife becomes more important than the food', or you spend more on the knives than on the food itself...

I'm Dutch, so my stingyness keeps me from falling down the rabbit hole too fast... ;)

When it comes to knives I think another criterium you could use is 'when the knife becomes more important than the food', or you spend more on the knives than on the food itself...
For me, not more important than the food, but more focus on the food. I'm older and very overweight. My wife and I are fortunate to still have jobs working from home. It was just too convenient for us to order take-out or go through a drive-thru than take the time to prepare a proper, well-balanced, healthy meal. Cooking just wasn't fun for me... until I found the joy of using Japanese knives. Their beauty, functionality, and the knowledge they came the hands of master craftsmen before landing on my Boardsmith cutting board, also beautifully handmade and functional, have given me reason cut cucumbers, slice tomatoes, prepare sashimi (one of the rekindled joys in my life), and even breaking down a case of chickens, thanks to a honesuki.

So far I've lost 50lbs and counting. My wife and I spend time on the weekends preparing foods that can easily be taken out and heated or cooked. No more of this "I'm hungry. What do you want? I don't know, what do you want?" crap. Well, that's not true, but now it's limited to what we have in the house. My grocery store trips are different now. I spend more time in the produce section and look for meats on clearance. We've purchased a chamber vacuum sealer, and either the meats get sealed and frozen immediately, or become part of a meal which can be sealed to be eaten during the week. I realize this may be blasphemous to some, all this frozen-ness, but it's still more healthy than the alternative of getting take-out.

Has it become an addiction? Yes and no. I've quickly reached a point where I have one of each style of Japanese knife I think I want, and using each one. Have I stopped looking? All I can say is I checked the BST when I first woke up to see if someone bought that damn honyaki Elliot is selling. Nope, but I'm hoping it will soon sell (to someone other than me).

For me, not more important than the food, but more focus on the food. I'm older and very overweight. My wife and I are fortunate to still have jobs working from home. It was just too convenient for us to order take-out or go through a drive-thru than take the time to prepare a proper, well-balanced, healthy meal. Cooking just wasn't fun for me... until I found the joy of using Japanese knives. Their beauty, functionality, and the knowledge they came the hands of master craftsmen before landing on my Boardsmith cutting board, also beautifully handmade and functional, have given me reason cut cucumbers, slice tomatoes, prepare sashimi (one of the rekindled joys in my life), and even breaking down a case of chickens, thanks to a honesuki.

So far I've lost 50lbs and counting. My wife and I spend time on the weekends preparing foods that can easily be taken out and heated or cooked. No more of this "I'm hungry. What do you want? I don't know, what do you want?" crap. Well, that's not true, but now it's limited to what we have in the house. My grocery store trips are different now. I spend more time in the produce section and look for meats on clearance. We've purchased a chamber vacuum sealer, and either the meats get sealed and frozen immediately, or become part of a meal which can be sealed to be eaten during the week. I realize this may be blasphemous to some, all this frozen-ness, but it's still more healthy than the alternative of getting take-out.

Has it become an addiction? Yes and no. I've quickly reached a point where I have one of each style of Japanese knife I think I want, and using each one. Have I stopped looking? All I can say is I checked the BST when I first woke up to see if someone bought that damn honyaki Elliot is selling. Nope, but I'm hoping it will soon sell (to someone other than me).
Nothing wrong with that! This is honestly one of the best examples of the positive effects the whole knife-hobby can have. It's similar-ish for me; I first started getting interested in knives when my health started going down the drain and my intestines for whatever reason lost the ability to sustain itself off my student diet of frozen pizzas and beer. I basically lost the ability to process any premade and processed food overnight. Since I was pretty much condemned to start cooking everything from scratch, better knives were at first a way to make the whole process faster. Later as a bonus I started realizing that good knives also just outright make the whole affair more enjoyable, making cooking as a whole less of a chore and more fun. Fun 'toys' / tools can be a great enabler for healthier eating habbits.

OK - I have to admit I caught the knife sickness. I find that I have too many great knives and not enough food to cut!

It's only my wife and I at home now and with the Pandemic family gatherings are on hold for a while so, the amount of food consumed is small.

That being said I just cut up some Tri-Tip BBQ left over roast with my Shig 240 just to enjoy the cutting experience. Now I have to put it aside to use my Kato Workhorse until it's time for my Kono Fujiyama B#1 Kaiju oh and I forgot where I put my T-F I haven't used it in so long and my Kato KU is still sitting in it's box waiting for a turn!

Yes there are others and I just keep waiting for an opportunity to grab a Jiro.

I still have a two knife blocks with German knives sharpened to a keen edge gathering dust waiting for one of the kids to stop by and take them off my hands.

Oh yes cutting the rind off watermelon with my Kono Fujiyama 210 Petty is slick (or is it sick?)

Addiction....I realize I have more knives than a sane person should own......I have no idea which knives to let go even tho I have more than I can have on the counter with 2 mag blocks and a vertical knife block from the original boardsmith

Addiction....I realize I have more knives than a sane person should own......I have no idea which knives to let go even tho I have more than I can have on the counter with 2 mag blocks and a vertical knife block from the original boardsmith

Denial!

We all think we have too much knives. The problem is we don't have enough.

When you start to select knives to slice cooked proteins based on wanting to build the patina, all relative.......I think that is a problem

A noble pursuit. Ensuring all knives owned have a consistent patina is a key process to getting new untarnished units to shepperd along the path God intended.

Back