Where can I find a budget cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceriano

Reaction score
Where is good place to find a decent budget cutting board? I checked Marshalls and all they had was bamboo and hard plastic which is what I currently own. I just started the hobby and I'd rather spend more on sharpening tools and knifes. I will upgrade to something decent down the line.

Here are a few options I'm looking at:

Edge grain teak 18"x14" $30
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...Vg4zICh0vyA--EAQYASABEgKGYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Walnut $65
https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-A...rds=teak+cutting+board&qid=1594081162&sr=8-23
Teakhouse edge grain $100
https://www.surlatable.com/teakhaus...-board-14x14/PRO-3422094.html?cgid=SCA-389983
I'd rather keep it under $50 if possible. I have a small countertop so 14 by 18 would be plenty.

Are edge grain Teak and acacia wood ok to use with Japanese knives?

I've heard differing opinions on teak as a cutting board - America's test kitchen seems to love them, but other sources have suggested that the silica content could be too hard for knives (which I imagine would be worse for Japanese knives than German knives).

Out of the box ideas...

1) Thinner hinoki boards for home use from the Japanese retailer Muji - Hinoki Chopping Board Thin S

2) Figure out how to use Rakuten and buy the real boards from Japan and ship them (which is less than one thinks). You can get unbranded hinoki to Asahi rubber, all the way to commercial grade 1 meter long, 3 cm thick boards.

3) Try small woodworkers on Etsy. I got some great utensils there, my brother recently bought a set of copper pans so he says he can't use metal cooking utensils anymore.

The board that gets the most use in my small kitchen I bought from Target, 14x17x3/4 made in Vietnam "wood" about $20.

If you do this, use Titebond III glue. It is approved for indirect food contact and will stand up to water. Just don't put it in the dishwasher.

Gluing two cutting boards is risky if you don't pay attention to wood grain direction and if you don't have adequate clamping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749DS816/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WP8aFbG4KRB2S
These Michigan maple boards are pretty nice for the money. I have one in 18*24

+1 for Michigan Maple. I had the same 18x24 for many years. It was my first BIG board, and loved it. Even has about an inch of a Gesshin Uraku Gyuto tip stuck in it when we had a drunken friend angrily stab the knife in the cutting board. Would still be using it today, had i not brought it over to my Mom's house for a BBQ and after a 3-4 hour prep session, she fell in love. It was years ago, but was dirt cheap IIRC.

Do you have Home Goods stores in VA? HomeGoods Official Site | Unique Selection, Unbelievable Prices
The ones near me have quite a selection of boards for very good prices. I'd go with a end grain board. When using very sharp, thin knives, the end grain doesn't show the knife cuts as much as edge grain. My white oak end grain board shows no visible cuts after a year of constant use.

IMG_5549.jpg

Do you have Home Goods stores in VA? HomeGoods Official Site | Unique Selection, Unbelievable Prices
The ones near me have quite a selection of boards for very good prices. I'd go with a end grain board. When using very sharp, thin knives, the end grain doesn't show the knife cuts as much as edge grain. My white oak end grain board shows no visible cuts after a year of constant use.

View attachment 86469

Yes they only had bamboo and composite. They did have a good selection of wusthof knives tho. 6" classic ikon chef was $50 which is not a bad price for that knife.

Besides my 2 big Boos blocks (one edge and one end), I have multiple sized Epicurean boards (paper composite). Honestly, I use these way more. They are good on the edge. Black, so they don't show staining (also come in brown and tan), and hold up very well. Moderately priced.

+1 for Michigan Maple. I had the same 18x24 for many years. It was my first BIG board, and loved it. Even has about an inch of a Gesshin Uraku Gyuto tip stuck in it when we had a drunken friend angrily stab the knife in the cutting board. Would still be using it today, had i not brought it over to my Mom's house for a BBQ and after a 3-4 hour prep session, she fell in love. It was years ago, but was dirt cheap IIRC.

Kitchen merchant carries Michigan Maple. Their prices seem reasonable. Is 20 lbs too heavy for a cutting board? I'm trying to decide between the 3" and 1 3/4".

https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2689
https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2134

Last edited:
If you can get Hinoki for the price, I’d go for that. I have end grain cherry and maple boards, but I like the cheap Hinoki even better I think. Only downside: it’s not as tall. I’m 6’1 and I just hate when counter top is low AND the board is as well. Kills my back.

it’s not a scientific fact, but I FEEL That Hinoki is best on the edge. Or at least I imagine. If you’re chopping it’s also somehow “quieter” than My other boards, it that makes sense. Wifey appreciates that .... open kitchen and all.

Check your local cabinet shops and see if they have any scrap butcher block counter top pieces.
Add some rubber grommets for feet and you have one.

I noticed that all of the recommended cutting boards in this thread are made of wood. Are polypropylene boards considered taboo now? :confused:

I noticed that all of the recommended cutting boards in this thread are made of wood. Are polypropylene boards considered taboo now? :confused:
They get gouged as you use them and thin hard japanese knife edges can get damaged as they get stuck in them and you torque the knife sideways while cutting. Many of use use poly boards to cut proteins like raw chicken as those boards are easier to clean.

Plastic boards can be hard that a harder, more brittle Japanese knife can readily chip if it hits the board with any force.

They're still better than marble, glass or metal cutting boards or nothing. They still have the advantage of being able to go in the dishwasher. Yes, there's better options, but, there's worse options also.

Back