Where do you shop for knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that some consider his sharpening advice fundamental. But the knives he offers on his site are fine. That was the origin of this thread, the knives, not sharpening. As for his videos, I found them quite useful when I first started sharpening. We all start somewhere. I am no expert on sharpening, but I see no reason to knock his videos. If you don't like his approach, just move on and don't watch the videos.

I understand that some consider his sharpening advice fundamental. But the knives he offers on his site are fine. That was the origin of this thread, the knives, not sharpening. As for his videos, I found them quite useful when I first started sharpening. We all start somewhere. I am no expert on sharpening, but I see no reason to knock his videos. If you don't like his approach, just move on and don't watch the videos.

Well, there were comments on his knife selling practices as well. I addressed his sharpening videos in particular because they were already mentioned, and in my opinion, just add to my view of the benefit of services. Which, obviously, I find to be lacking.

I'm pretty sure it's still okay to offer an opinion of someone who so widely offers theirs yeah? I can inform others of why I don't think a person's advice is the best advice and offer alternatives.

If you like the dude, cool, you can tell the world why you do. :)

What do you not like about Burrfection?

Ricky Ticky Tavi

The good: He has without doubt brought a lot of people into the knife and knife sharpening world that may have found it too intimidating otherwise. He offers some very basic, very simplified, (frequently bogus) information to a newcomer.

The rest. He is slick and quite good at self promotion / marketing. His "recommendations" are more commercials for products he has a financial interest in. His information is frequently wrong. And as dad used to say "he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground".

IMO the biggest objection to him among the ranks here is that he seeks to monetize the very thing that brings this forum together. I like to think that most here want to share what they know about knives, sharpening and a host of other subjects. Learning takes place for the asking. Ricky wants to make money off of selling you largely worthless information and of course products that may or may not be useful. May I submit exhibit A for my thesis: "Dalstrong"? Exhibit B is some POS stones that (without knowing anything about stone characteristics) he insists are "the best".

if more experienced folks dont call it out how will the new folks learn what's up?

unlike reddit, youtube, etc. forums have something that at least gives you some idea, which is the little info below our names. while it's not perfect, you can judge much better around here who might have a clue, especially when compared to youtube (random), reddit's literal circle jerk, facebook's tendency to devolve into political yelling matches, and instagram's absolute confusion between what is an ad and what isnt.

it turns out the youtube algorithm, which boosts the guy, has always been susceptible to the kind of double dipping/self dealing that this guy does with his youtube channel & store. it's a nice gig Im sure, but unfortunately it results in him 'virtuous cycle'ing himself to the top of search results. so again, without people 'knocking' his shtick, how will the new folks learn?

is what he's doing illegal or immoral? absolutely not and probably not to any degree that's worth going nuclear over, but if you think a group of curmudgeonly collectors who have spent tens of thousands of dollars and actually know something are gonna let some cheeseball do his cheeseball act without comment, Im not sure what to say to you.

oh also I better not hear anybody suggest that what burrfection does is in anyway equivalent or even like JKI, Maksim's channel, Tosho's channel, etc.

burrfection does the whole 'youtube' thing. ok show me a JKI video that's got a clickbait title, a stupid thumbnail, and Jon trying to shill you something. it doesnt exist. mostly it's Jon just sharpening for like an hour and explaining stuff.

I mean seriously look at this ****:
1637806294912.png

Wow is that all? He's a business man? Let me ask you what is it about your favorite retailer do for you? Do they give you preferential treatment, discounts they wouldn't anybody else? Ya I'm a Ryky guy. If you guys can actually stomach this story maybe we can talk. I went to Ryky after I basically got laughed out of another retailer for not being able to afford his wares. So I saved up for another month just doing research on Google. I watched all his videos but I also watched the videos from Steve from CKTG if you know those. I settled on a KS. Two hours after I, get an email from Ryky, we talked for 4 hours that night I believe, 1 of it was spent on him trying to convince me to downgrade from the KS to a SS Kato that he would've sold me for $250. I said no he kept asking why would I buy a knife, I know completely nothing about? So I ended up sticking with KS and ya, he was right. We became friends, but my ground rules were we don't talk about knives. We had and still have a lot of common things we're going thru so we talk about where we're at in life, what we need to do to improve, mainly me I admit, that was almost 4 years ago and yeah, I make sure I buy something from him at least once every year as thank you. So I don't get in his business, I don't know his business. I'll tell you who I bought the most things from this year, Sugi. 8 handles and 3 knives with Jo's handles. Why, because I like going thru Sugis site, it's addictive! And for the reason he takes my money, informs me of anything irregular from my purchases and emails me and he thanks me. That's all. I expect no discounts from him as a matter of fact, I have offered to pay extra to cover for the fact I think I'm bothering him. He doesn't email me to any of his secret new arrivals unless he doesn't have one, I like everything he posts on FB. So am I a Sugi guy? Look I know I did wrong, but if we could move past that maybe you might see me the way I'm trying to present myself. Thank you for reading this. Gnite.

I watched a few of Ryky’s videos when I was just starting out and searching random sharpening stuff; nothing really struck me as egregious until one where he covered sharpening an asymmetric grind; I watched it at a point where I was actually starting to learn a thing or two.

His “hey this is easy” solution was something like 10 strokes on one side, 3 on the other. No discussion of why grinds are asymmetric, how asymmetry might lead to steering, and how to correct for steering. No warning that just straight up doing more strokes on one side than the other could push your edge way over to one side over time and possibly get you off the core steel and into the cladding. No acknowledgement that more strokes on one side doesn’t actually give you a different angle. No discussion of how and why a 90/10 might be different from a 70/30 and why each might need a different approach.

Somebody in the comments raised a question or two and got a snotty answer along the lines, “if you know all the answers why are you watching my videos for beginners?” I seem to recall seeing him get quite defensive like that in the comments of some of his other videos, but it’s been a while.

So generally I’d approach his advice with caution. I think the danger is that he presents as an expert for areas where might be ignorant, and it’s hard to tell when he’s just making stuff up vs where he might be giving legit advice. Then he doesn’t engage and explain when questioned.

As far as his store, if he has something you like at a fair price and his name’s not engraved on the blade, then go for it. Having his name engraved would probably knock 20-30% or more off the resale value on BST if that’s a concern at all. I doubt I’d buy something at 50% off with his name on it, personally. Not because it’s his name in particular, I just want my knives in original condition with the maker’s own mark.

We became friends, but my ground rules were we don't talk about knives.
I feel like I’m missing something that wasn’t specifically stated in this thread, so why won’t you talk knives with him?
Look I know I did wrong,
What exactly did you do wrong here? I always appreciate someone admitting fault but I can’t really tell what that is in this case. Is it related to Ryky or Sugi?

I feel like I’m missing something that wasn’t specifically stated in this thread, so why won’t you talk knives with him?

What exactly did you do wrong here? I always appreciate someone admitting fault but I can’t really tell what that is in this case. Is it related to Ryky or Sugi?
I screwed up and said things I'm getting hung for. And for being one of Rykys friends, I don't talk to him about knives as proof that I'm his friend, not a leech.

I’ve watched bits of Ryky’s videos on YT and I really don’t have a problem with him. He is a self promoter and I think can put a decent edge on a blade. That’s about it. He doesn’t strike me as particularly shady or dishonest … or particularly knowledgeable about knives. Like most things on YT ymmv … take what you like and forget the rest. One guy I like on YT is rough rooster but then I got my start on Arkansas stones. RR is the anti promoter if there was one, and I love the fact that he appears to chew tobacco while sharpening his knives!

KKF is a whole different world from YT. It’s inhabited by a group who make their livings using knives every day and by a group who are seriously passionate about every aspect of knives. There is little tolerance here for self promotion or BS. I think that’s why Ryky gets such a poor reception around here, not because he is a “bad” guy or dishonest. He just doesn’t have much to offer imo.

I screwed up and said things I'm getting hung for. And for being one of Rykys friends, I don't talk to him about knives as proof that I'm his friend, not a leech.
I respect you for putting yourself out there and backing a friend. You bring a different perspective on Ryky because you know him personally while most of us only know his YouTube personality. He’s obviously smart and business savvy and based on what you’re saying he may be a genuinely nice person. I am going to try to keep this in mind if I make a critique about his channel or knife knowledge. This also explains your passion in the thread. He’s a real person to you while for me he’s some abstract that I can poke fun of and feel no guilt.

You have taken quite a bit of flack here and on other threads (most of which was self inflicted) but I have to say by sharing what you have it has helped me see that you are probably a good dude, maybe just misunderstood and rough around the edges . In the future please continue to share more about why you feel a certain way/your experience and I guarantee you will have positive reactions to your posts

When I didn't know any better and just wanted to learn sharpening from online videos, I was nearly tricked into wasting my money on a Dalstrong, as recommended by a certain Youtube personality.

Let’s keep things in balance. Even a Dalstrong is miles better than the cr*p that serves as knives in 99% of kitchens. I’ve sharpened for family and others for decades and I can’t even start on the stories about the junk that’s been brought to me to sharpen. The recent trend of people acquiring knives using patronage coupons from grocery stores makes me want to ba*f. When the knife can’t cut a carrot without bashing it with a rolling pin it comes to me to make it perfect for $5. No thanks … in that case I’ll take a Dalstrong any day. At least with a Dalstrong I can put an edge on it that will last more that a week. Would I buy one … no way, but I would give an abandoned Dalstrong away to someone who brought me a Jamie Oliver plastic/stainless blade.

Just my opinion. Yours may differ which is fine with me.

Let’s keep things in balance. Even a Dalstrong is miles better than the cr*p that serves as knives in 99% of kitchens. I’ve sharpened for family and others for decades and I can’t even start on the stories about the junk that’s been brought to me to sharpen. The recent trend of people acquiring knives using patronage coupons from grocery stores makes me want to ba*f. When the knife can’t cut a carrot without bashing it with a rolling pin it comes to me to make it perfect for $5. No thanks … in that case I’ll take a Dalstrong any day. At least with a Dalstrong I can put an edge on it that will last more that a week. Would I buy one … no way, but I would give an abandoned Dalstrong away to someone who brought me a Jamie Oliver plastic/stainless blade.

Fair enough but those folks aren't likely to be searching YouTube for a "good" knife and sharpening advice. The people who are, will typically have an interest but very little education and that's why I think those introductory encounters are so important. Sticker shock of both knives and stones can be a very real issue for those just getting ready to set the Ikea knife on the counter for the last time, so hearing the glowing praises of an affordable knife from a seeming expert, can be quite attractive. Only to later learn that the initial glow wears off quickly.

Your argument is "Dalstrong doesn't suck"? I guess that's a fair opinion to have, but does that really answer any of the criticism levied against Ryky?

I’ve sharpened for family and others for decades and I can’t even start on the stories about the junk that’s been brought to me to sharpen. The recent trend of people acquiring knives using patronage coupons from grocery stores makes me want to ba*f. When the knife can’t cut a carrot without bashing it with a rolling pin it comes to me to make it perfect for $5. No thanks … in that case I’ll take a Dalstrong any day. At least with a Dalstrong I can put an edge on it that will last more that a week. Would I buy one … no way, but I would give an abandoned Dalstrong away to someone who brought me a Jamie Oliver plastic/stainless blade.
I feel you on that one!

Ryky just monetized info which has been readily available here for years. I learned how to sharpen here, with the help of dave martell and Jon. I learned about stones from salty and others. Naturals from maksim. Unfortunately this forum has lost most users who really added substance and has degraded into a show and tell and place to selll/ buy. It’s still a cool place, but is different than it was in 2012. To me it’s his slick quality that is off putting and that he’s selling what he’s reviewing . His knives are mediocre. I prefer to learn from makers and users, he is neither.. But whateve, if it gets you into knives that’s great.

Ryky's long-winded 30 minute sharpening vids on YT are awesome. I totally ignore his advice. However, when I have trouble sleeping late at night, I put on one of his episodes. For one thing, the very subject of sharpening takes my mind off all of the assorted problems and worries that might keep me up, and then the monotonous sound of the knife swooshing back and forth over and over usually puts me to sleep in a few minutes. Try it sometime; it's amazing.

Oh, and by the way, where do you knife fanatics buy your knives?

Ryky's long-winded 30 minute sharpening vids on YT are awesome. I totally ignore his advice. However, when I have trouble sleeping late at night, I put on one of his episodes. For one thing, the very subject of sharpening takes my mind off all of the assorted problems and worries that might keep me up, and then the monotonous sound of the knife swooshing back and forth over and over usually puts me to sleep in a few minutes. Try it sometime; it's amazing.

Oh, and by the way, where do you knife fanatics buy your knives?
BST

I respect you for putting yourself out there and backing a friend. You bring a different perspective on Ryky because you know him personally while most of us only know his YouTube personality. He’s obviously smart and business savvy and based on what you’re saying he may be a genuinely nice person. I am going to try to keep this in mind if I make a critique about his channel or knife knowledge. This also explains your passion in the thread. He’s a real person to you while for me he’s some abstract that I can poke fun of and feel no guilt.

You have taken quite a bit of flack here and on other threads (most of which was self inflicted) but I have to say by sharing what you have it has helped me see that you are probably a good dude, maybe just misunderstood and rough around the edges . In the future please continue to share more about why you feel a certain way/your experience and I guarantee you will have positive reactions to your posts
Ok...I'm back. As REAL ME. No hiding this time...I couldn't give it my all last time cuz my attention was diverted in 2 last time.

Ok...I'm back. I'm not rehashing, just trying to justify my passion. It was ignited by the Riki Tiki comment I admit. But really got to me was, B4 me, I was not the only person to write Burrfection, I just felt I was the only one that got that kind of reaction for writing Burrfection. But I clamped myself down, STFU and still tried to contribute or at least that was still my mindset at the time. Then came my rash rude and wrong comments that I 100% blame on myself. I misquoted and bore the actions I started that I tried desperately to stop. That's why I had to leave, even when I left, I was pursued and inconvenienced by people I think is from here. So I comeback out of goodwill. Will you take it? Or throw me back out? Save me from wasting my money and buying the lifetime membership again.

His store ships from Hong Kong and any returns must returned back there. I was given a very hard time returning an item to the point where I had no choice but to contact my credit card.

Back