Where to buy a handle broach?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

tostadas

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a handle broach for opening up the tang hole for handle making? Doesn't have to be fancy as long as it works.

I spent time trying to make my own from saw blades but it just takes way too long with the equipment I have available. And the few that I've seen for sale via Google search were not long enough for some of my Japanese knife tangs.

McMan

Reaction score

tostadas

Reaction score
Cheap-o needle files have worked for me.
I have something like these:
I'm sure there are better sets, but I do this so infrequently it didn't make sense to plunk down $40-50 for a proper set. Might be able to find a USA or Swiss set on eBay though.
Thanks. I have a set of needle rasps and a set of files as well. They're just kinda slow and kinda difficult to use for the deepest part of a single piece handle

pleue

Reaction score
I’ve been looking as well and this one seems promising. I’ve done with a few jigsaw blades jb welded together in a scrap handle previously but it’s a bit wonky and I figure this’ll make a tedious job far more enjoyable. Just ordered one, I’ll report back when I put it to use.

Last edited:

tostadas

Reaction score
I’ve been looking as well and this one seems promising. I’ve done with a few jigsaw blades jb welded together in a scrap handle previously but it’s a bit wonky and I figure this’ll make a tedious job far more enjoyable. Just ordered one, I’ll report back when I put it to use.

That looks good. Let me know what the length is when you receive it.

nexus1935

Reaction score

This looks quite effective - interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I have the Amazon rasps but they're not good for deepening a hole, only widening the sides.

M1k3

Viva la what the .... Chef?!!!?¿¿
Reaction score
I have no experience with this whatsoever...

M1k3

Reaction score
I have no experience with this whatsoever...

KitchenCommander

Reaction score
Those things look like double sided jig saw blades with a knob handle. I wonder if there are any narrow jig saw blades that could be fitted with a handle on the cheap. Just thinking out loud.

M1k3

Reaction score
Those things look like double sided jig saw blades with a knob handle. I wonder if there are any narrow jig saw blades that could be fitted with a handle on the cheap. Just thinking out loud.
Jigsaw blade and an old doorknob?

:dancingchicken:

KitchenCommander

Reaction score
baf876a1-6bc0-404b-a545-fdbbdb2fb109.22a748b3092c5c9d21cd299439aafca3.jpeg ZA204265-jigsaw-blade-s-75-4-k-pkg-of-5-f-0001.jpg ZA204267-jigsaw-blade-s-75-1-4-k-pkg-of-5-f-0001.jpg
551fae942d5c1621ac3838a418128c9c--camping.jpg

Though these blades don't appear to be as thin as the purpose-made tool. There are some that get pretty close. And a couple 3D printed handle designs I saw for handles for jig saw blades, so someone has done it.

Last edited:

pleue

Reaction score
1646149590033.png
= +
1646149615541.png
1646149840969.png

I've used jig saw blades. It's not so fun but it works. We'll see if this is any better.

Reaction score
I typically make my own but the one referenced above can be bought from a few places for around $35. It is a decent quality alternating tooth saw broach. At some point tomorrow I will try to take a quick video of how it works vs. A single row scrapping style handle broach.

TB_London

Reaction score
I use jigsaw blades glued into a wooden Handle

I’ve neat bought broaches before but I S easier to match resistance

ant_topps

Reaction score

I have one of theBlackDragon broaches. It works very well. Eats wood. Even use it on non-ferrous ferrules. It is narrow though so I have a wider broach to carve out the channel.

Aldrich posted a phot of his “handle chisels” which I really liked the look of.

8C571AF3-99EA-4BFD-82B1-EF2D752647DF.jpeg

Skylar303

Wannabe Stone/Razor/Knife Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a handle broach for opening up the tang hole for handle making? Doesn't have to be fancy as long as it works.

I spent time trying to make my own from saw blades but it just takes way too long with the equipment I have available. And the few that I've seen for sale via Google search were not long enough for some of my Japanese knife tangs.
Interesting I haven't heard of these either. Making things like this are more my realm. I'll see what I can come up with using jigs, and adding teeth on the other side. Or maybe some other variant style to get teeth on both sides.