Where to buy fingerstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
hi im new to polishing, been only doing sharpening. Where do you guys buy you fingerstones? Or do you create them yourselfs?
For polishing, do I really need fingerstones?

Just FYI there are two kinds 1)Jiyuza 地豔 - for the cladding 2)Hayuza 刃豔- for the core
You can make them yourself, but that also means you have to find the proper stone (usually a thinner/uneven/koppa)
Although they aren't necessary, they are very useful, especially for knives with a fair amount of convex on the blade road

Bcos i did look on jns but only found quite large fingerstones. Ive seen some vids w fingerstones covering like a bit larger than the tip of the finger

Making them yourself also implies owning enough natural stock to take a hacksaw to some measure of your collection. But more importantly I’m posting to tag this thread since I’ve been curious about this as well.

Xenif what is type of stones should be used for ao/sg knives? What is the consensus. See a lot of posts for uchi stones for the softer steel. Some even think that one need several different stone for the soft steel

I thought that only the natural stones for sharpening was conplex enough... now comes the polishing...

Bcos i did look on jns but only found quite large fingerstones. Ive seen some vids w fingerstones covering like a bit larger than the tip of the finger
Yes the JNS fingerstones come in rather large chunks, you have to split them into their respective sizes, and you also have to glue them on some type of paper so they dont fall apart when they get really really thin. Sometimes you want them in all sorts of sized for diffrent reasons

And any opinion on what type of stones to be used?
That largely depends on what kind of finish you are shooting for like ,strong contrast kasumi? Full Mirror? Semi mirror? Frosty? Misty? what kind of cladding (stainless/iron/wrought iron/damascus)?
There are endless possibilities and combinations.

Also when using the fingerstones, stone hardness, polishing pressure, stroke direction, slurry thickness, water control, are just some of the things that can be variables.

I'm still trying to navigate this as well and in no way am I an expert at this, but the fine folks that populate this forum are real experts and has shared a lot of great advice

This is a jungle.
For the millimeters closest to the edge I think I prefer semi mirror or mirror.

I guess I prefer cloudy, whats the difference between misty and cloudy?

And whats the difference between strong contrast and cloudy?

Thanks

Just FYI there are two kinds 1)Jiyuza 地豔 - for the cladding 2)Hayuza 刃豔- for the core
You can make them yourself, but that also means you have to find the proper stone (usually a thinner/uneven/koppa)
Although they aren't necessary, they are very useful, especially for knives with a fair amount of convex on the blade road
Can you please tell me what's the difference between jizuya & hazuya ?

If i want my yanagiba have kasumi feel which one should i buy ?

i heard after wash the knife, the fingerstone effect will gone, is it real ?

I bought some from Jon Broida, there was enough to share with a few people. I would certainly reach out to him. Jon has given me great advice on knives and stones over the years

yeah... i always keep some around for my personal use, and usually there are some extra for me to sell. I just dont always have enough to keep it up on the website all of the time. They are exactly what i use when i use fingerstones though.

Hey man. I got some here for ya'. Good grey stuff ya' know

DSC_0281.JPG

Ya' wanna try eh?

Latest posts

Back