Which 150mm Petty? TF Nashiji - Tanaka Ginsan - Takamura Migaki/Pro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murtazadalgic

Reaction score
What country are you in?
Let's think States
What type of knife are you interested in?
150mm petty on taller side.
Are you right or left handed?
Right Handed
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Don't mind. (Or is it important on petty knives?)
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
That's a question below
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'm not gonna pay a petty more than $210
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home usage
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
So yes mostly slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, trimming meats.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Cuisinart Paring Knife, 90-100mm maybe?
What improvements do you want from your current knife?
It's important to me to use it in the hand and on the board as well for small tasks. For example I want to reach it first for cutting only one onion or only one tomato for breakfast. On the other hand I should peel veggies easily. (I'm 6'5" have big hands.) 28-32mm height is ideal for my needs I think?
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
That's a question below.
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Rubber board
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SUMMARY

I’m looking for a petty knife as a second knife. I was constantly reading KKF about 150mm petty knives and finally come to conclusion. However, I wanted to have your opinions regarding my final decision. These four knives below are on top of my list.

I see that stainless steels are suggested more on acidic foods, on the other hand I see so many people using White#2 and other carbons as well. From there:
1) How important is this? Is it a big difference on performance or food taste or something else? (I don’t know much about carbons)

2) On the edge retention side: I'm %100 percent sure Pm steels gonna be better. However, for a petty knife, contacting to board is limited or not much as a chef's knife. And considering the brittleness is it better to have a softer steel like Ginsan?

3) I think thin behind edge also thin spine (lasers like Takamura or Ashi) is better for peeling. What are the benefits of beefier spine on a petty, for example on Yoshikane? Or Tanaka is a best fit for a petty? (thicker spine, thin behind edge)

4) If you compare TF Nashiji with Tanaka Ginsan or Takamura Pro (or the others below) how would you rank them according to your personal experience? (Your experience matters a lot)

Thank you so much!

TANAKA GINSAN - P/ $120 H/ 35mm T/ 2.1mm W/ 99g
TF NASHIJI W#1 - P/ $90 W/100g
TAKAMURA PRO - P/ $210 / H/ 29.2mm T/ 2mm W/ 88g

OTHERS:
ASHI GINGA - P/ $162 H/29mm T/1.9mm W/ 70g
MUNETOSHI W#2 - P/ $135 H/31mm W/ 90g
YOSHIKANE SKD - P/ $210 H/33mm T/ 3.8mm - W/ 78g
TAKAMURA MIGAKI R2 - P/ $130 H/29.2mm T/ 1.4mm - W/ 73g
RYUSEN BLAZEN R2 - P/ $208.9 / H/ 30mm T/ 1.5mm W/ 86g
AKIFUSA SRS15 - P/ $205 H/ 28mm T/ 2mm W/ 95g

Man, ANOTHER well-organised "what should I buy" post. Two in the one day! Is there someone I can complain to? Like, officially?

BTW, your (second) Takamura link doesn't appear to actually be a link.

Last edited:
If you have big hands I think most of those are going to be awkward for board use. Despite the heel height, that Tanaka has a huge handle. Of the ones you listed, the Yoshikane looks like it'd be the best fit. I have the gyuto version of that knife and it should be what you're looking for - laserish and thin behind the edge. It's only 3.8mm at the handle, and has really nice distal taper.

@labor of love - I see. Thank you so much for your help. May I ask why western handles not your favorite on petty? I'm gonna look for Shi Han too.

@Corradobrit1 - Woof. Looks fascinating. Have you ever used the others? Your opinions are important to me.

@spaceconvoy - Thank you! I didn't know Tanaka's handle is huge. 2 Yoshi know.

@QCDawg - Thanks. I'll consider that.

Don’t know if you picked one, but I have to say, that after a few years in this hobby (not a pro), if I lost every one of my knives and couldn’t afford to replace what I had for some reason, id procure three knives first and foremost: 1. A victorinox parer, 2. A Mora companion, and 3. A TF Nashiji 150 petty. That’d cover my kitchen, hunting, and utility needs. For the latter, I’d call Craig at carbon and ask for his tallest and heaviest example and do what I did again: flatten the bevels on a King 300 then 800. I’ve spent much more since I did just that, and there’s something about the cost/benefit/utility ratios that keep me reaching for it. Now I’m not a pro and don’t cook for many people, but it’s got great steel and with a Burnt chestnut handle from JKI, it is the stalwart of my kitchen tools.

@labor of love - I see. Thank you so much for your help. May I ask why western handles not your favorite on petty? I'm gonna look for Shi Han too.

@Corradobrit1 - Woof. Looks fascinating. Have you ever used the others? Your opinions are important to me.

@spaceconvoy - Thank you! I didn't know Tanaka's handle is huge. 2 Yoshi know.

@QCDawg - Thanks. I'll consider that.
I just find them to be slippery

I qm going to suggest to check out 165 - 180 petty knives. Munetoshi 165 petty comes to my mind. Alo Kochi could beva good choice. I would want a petty with a pronounced distal taper and a thin tip - so that it just flies through onions and carrots

I like to use a 150mm petty as an all purpose "utility knife" for basically anything that I don't feel like using a chef/gyuto to do. That would include everything from cutting up fruits and veg, to fileting fish and carving up chicken. If you are considering a similar broad range of tasks a carbon monosteel in the 59-62 HRC range is a nice option. The steel is hard enough to keep a great working edge, but tough enough to resist chipping and have some flex without bending.

On a 150mm petty, I have come to prefer a thinner narrow handle. Initially I preferred larger handles until I tried a smaller western one. It felt odd at first, almost like I was holding a pencil or paint brush, but after trying it out, I really liked it. It kept the weight down and made in-hand work more manageable.

Misono makes a great carbon petty out of an excellent swedish steel.
https://www.korin.com/HMI-SCPE-150
20200926_193359.jpg
20200926_193444.jpg
20200926_193529.jpg
20200926_193605.jpg

Top to Bottom:
Misono Swedish Carbon 80mm
Takeda NAS 150mm
Misono Swedish Carbon 150mm
Silverthorn 6" Boning in O1 Carbon
20200926_194042.jpg

Thank you all, very much appreciated. Yoshi, Tanaka and Ashi was on my top 3. Unfortunately I missed the TF on CarbonKnife. But it seems Furinkazan may change the game again (damn).

In the mean time after reading hundreds of entries about these knives I was at a break to digest all the information. Thank you all forwarding me.

I see that stainless steels are suggested more on acidic foods, on the other hand I see so many people using White#2 and other carbons as well. From there:
1) How important is this? Is it a big difference on performance or food taste or something else? (I don’t know much about carbons)

Well last 3-4 comments answered this question pretty well. As far as I understand neither a major changing on the edge of the steel nor on taste experienced for home usage. That's good because I can put many beautiful carbons to my list again. (Like TF Nashiji or Mazaki)

I’d call Craig at carbon and ask for his tallest and heaviest example...

I didn't call but I sent an email but probably they were busy, they didn't reply me back. Maybe it's better to call them. Thanks for other suggestions.

I’m debating picking up one of these pettys from Bernal.
https://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/oul-150mm-wa-petty-ginsanko-walnut-octagon.htmlLooks like it might meet your criteria too.

Thank you, you did quite help in here also in other threads. However, I believe other knives that you suggested probably gonna win. :)

I would buy the 160mm x 36mm TF Nashiji from JCK.
The pakka handle is better than the wood from TF direct...

Oh man! I didn't even know those Furinkazan's made by Teruyasu Fujiwara. To my mind that's big marketing mistake.

I qm going to suggest to check out 165 - 180 petty knives. Munetoshi 165 petty comes to my mind. Alo Kochi could beva good choice. I would want a petty with a pronounced distal taper and a thin tip - so that it just flies through onions and carrots

@Matus I was actually reading your entire blog the other day. I wish you continue some day. Munetoshi is very popular in here. but I'm not sure 165 with that tallness (40mm) more like a mini gyuto. I don't think I can do hand work easily, do I?

I like to use a 150mm petty as an all purpose "utility knife" for basically anything that I don't feel like using a chef/gyuto to do. That would include everything from cutting up fruits and veg, to fileting fish and carving up chicken. If you are considering a similar broad range of tasks a carbon monosteel in the 59-62 HRC range is a nice option. The steel is hard enough to keep a great working edge, but tough enough to resist chipping and have some flex without bending.

On a 150mm petty, I have come to prefer a thinner narrow handle. Initially I preferred larger handles until I tried a smaller western one. It felt odd at first, almost like I was holding a pencil or paint brush, but after trying it out, I really liked it. It kept the weight down and made in-hand work more manageable.

Misono makes a great carbon petty out of an excellent swedish steel.

Thank you so much for your answer and photos. Honestly, Misono wasn't in my list after some search. Also I borrowed a UX10 from my friend and used it for a while. It was a 180mm gyuto though but I've never seen that toothiness. If you compare with your Takeda NAS petty what would you say about it? Does it give you knuckle clearance?

The Takeda is just a little bit taller so you do get just a bit more clearance, but I find myself using the Misono much more frequently. It is definitely my go to. That being said, I use a 250mm chef 80% of the time, and a 150mm for only 20%.

@spaceconvoy also has the same petty had good things to say about his...

I'm the opposite of a collector, and generally my goal is to keep a few perfect things and get rid of the rest. Funny how I tend to keep the more basic knives, and get rid of whatever flavor of the month I had been excited about earlier. Or maybe that says more about my finances...

I've found I can't get rid of:
- CCK stainless slicer, cause it's just so useful, the perfect beater for throwing together a quick meal with one knife and leaving it uncleaned on the cutting board for a few hours

- Misono 150mm Swedish petty, cause no one else makes a petty with such a nice small handle that I can grip with board clearance in a pinch. Plus it's got sentimental value, since it was the only knife I kept after my divorce a decade ago. Mostly cause I couldn't make much money off it, and it fit into my suitcase with the rest of my earthly possessions. If I had to start all over again (again) with just one knife, it'd be this one. Petties can awkwardly do everything!

- Opinel stainless paring knife, but believe me I'd love to replace it if I could. It's just that no one makes anything better like it: stainless, pointy spear tip, 80mm or less (90 is too long for comfortably eyeing potatoes or coring strawberries), and super light wooden handle since I mostly use it for in-hand work. I'd be all over the JKI parer if the handle wasn't made of plastic ****, or the cheap Herder if it had a pointier tip. So many come so close, but not quite. I'll replace it eventually when I've got the funds to burn on a custom paring knife.

Other knives you can always find a more exciting version next month, but hard to replace pure functional utility, sentimental value, or something that no one else makes.

A link to the full thread is here:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/thread-of-keepers.48924/post-735464

I agreee in-hand cutting would not be easy wity the 165 Munetoshi. For that kind of purpose I however prefer blade smaller and narrower than 150 petty and without an exposed heel - like the 110 paring knife by Blazen (I think epicedge have it)

@Campbell , @Matus thank you.

Today I was working in restaurant's kitchen and was thinking about the best one for my needs. Then I started to think that why I'm gonna pay between $165-210 + shipping to one knife. Why don't I buy two knives and I can try both of them or I can use one in home the other one in kitchen.

So at the end I think I'm gonna go with TF Nashiji petty and Misono Swedish petty if you not stop me now. JCK carries both of them and its together even cheaper than Yoshi. I think this would be best for me.

Thank you all for you kind help.

@Campbell , @Matus thank you.

Today I was working in restaurant's kitchen and was thinking about the best one for my needs. Then I started to think that why I'm gonna pay between $165-210 + shipping to one knife. Why don't I buy two knives and I can try both of them or I can use one in home the other one in kitchen.

So at the end I think I'm gonna go with TF Nashiji petty and Misono Swedish petty if you not stop me now. JCK carries both of them and its together even cheaper than Yoshi. I think this would be best for me.

Thank you all for you kind help.
I like how you're thinking ;)

I think that makes good sense! A taller petty can almost be like a mini-gyuto. Nothing beats trying them out for yourself and seeing what works best for you!!!

I think you'll be very happy with a Carbon 150 Misono, particularly for in-hand work like supreming a grapefruit or orange. @PappaG is selling his 120mm Misono because has upgraded to a 150 as well.

His listing on BST is here.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakaya-heiji-210-carbon-wa-gyuto.49450/
To see Jacques supreme a grapefruit you can fast forward to 0:40.

Le Cordon Bleu does it with a full sized gyuto, which is fine but I personally still prefer a petty.

I’ve been looking at both the Misono carbon and the Munetoshi 165. The Misono for those that have one: wouldn’t you want a somewhat taller heel?

And the Munetoshi: I’ve read some reviews saying the tip is very fragile, is this true?

I’ve been using a small-ish Robert Herder carbon as a petty. Yes it reacts to citrus but it’s not a big deal with this steel.

If you intend to primarily use a petty for chopping on a board, then a getting one with a taller heel probably makes sense, particularly if you enjoy reaching for a filet knife, boning knife, or parer for their respective tasks. On the other hand, if you are looking for something that is more all-purpose, then the height of the Misono is perfect in my opinion. It can easily chop smaller foods, like mushrooms or garlic with the right technique. The 150mm length allows you to cut with the front 1/3 of the blade while your hand is set off from the cutting board. This is the same approach often used for gyuto's/slicers with shallow(er) blades. It also has enough flex and toughness to filet a fish or carve a bird, and is small and controllable enough to hold in-hand for paring, supreming, slicing etc.

I have admit that when I first bought it, my initial impression was that it would be too small/narrow and I almost sent it back. But after using it for a couple weeks on and off, I was surprised at how many things I could do with it and how fun it was to use. My kitchen will never be without one.

I would just go with the takamura r2 migaki one. The pro is very nice as well.

Stainless works best for me as a petty due to the high amount of acids I cut, and onions/garlic.

If you want wa handle, ashi/gesshin ginga stainless

For petties I have: Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM 120 and 150, Takamura red handle R2 150, and a Suisin inox honyaki 180 wa handle. I use the Takamura the most, mostly for fruit, the FKM when I want something more robust, and the SIH for silver skin removal.

Are there any major differences betwean TF Nashiji and FRKZN TF series?

Last edited:
Back