Which 150mm Petty? TF Nashiji - Tanaka Ginsan - Takamura Migaki/Pro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom two you can compress into one decision, but I don’t think there’s any one knife that would elegantly cover the range of uses of your choice of two out of these three.

I totally agree with this. Also the length of the chef's knife that you combine with petty is quite significant. Some of my colleagues carry 5-8 knives in their rolls and using each one them for their moods/busy-slow days or whatever they work on at that moment. I mostly was moving a lot because of my job until pandemic and try to carry "less" I can. I was stuck in Switzerland but soon I'm gonna move back to States and probably that's gonna be it until everything back to normal.

I would just go with the takamura r2 migaki one. The pro is very nice as well.
Stainless works best for me as a petty due to the high amount of acids I cut, and onions/garlic.
If you want wa handle, ashi/gesshin ginga stainless

Well after I deep dived in forums, talked with my other chef friends I've seen this word a lot, "soul of a carbon knife". And I can say that I'm not familiar with them really. I was thinking R2 knives at very first but neither I have patience to sharpen them and hear a "soul" word comes together with it. (That's my opinion though, I may be wrong)

Well after I deep dived in forums, talked with my other chef friends I've seen this word a lot, "soul of a carbon knife". And I can say that I'm not familiar with them really. I was thinking R2 knives at very first but neither I have patience to sharpen them and hear a "soul" word comes together with it. (That's my opinion though, I may be wrong)

It is not that much work to sharpen R2, especially at how thin the takamura ones are. Its up to you though, if you want a carbon steel petty, go for it. Most people here probably have at least one of each

Forgive my ignorance. Is this the same brand makes Masamoto KS?

No, this is tsukiji masamoto vs masamoto sohonten. AFAIK they were once the same company many years ago

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance. Is this the same brand makes Masamoto KS?
No. They were related generations ago but the ks gang is called masamoto soheten which maybe translates to “original masamoto”

The tsujiki group is centered around a retail outlet in the area that used to be the Tokyo fish market. Others know more than me.

It is not that much work to sharpen R2, especially at how thin the takamura ones are. Its up to you though, if you want a carbon steel petty, go for it. Most people here probably have at least one of each

No, this is tsukiji masamoto vs masamoto sohonten. AFAIK they were once the same company many years ago
By the way, I agree with slickmamba, one petty in stainless is a good idea.

Tsujiki masamoto
Munetoshi
Wakui 180 gyuto
View attachment 96638
The bottom two you can compress into one decision, but I don’t think there’s any one knife that would elegantly cover the range of uses of your choice of two out of these three.

Revised family photo to include gesshin stainless 95cm petty. I’m not much for in hand work but it’s nice to have a pointy little paring knife around

Gesshin stainless
Tsujiki masamoto
Munetoshi
Wakui 180 gyuto

A86CEEFE-9BB9-4288-8C5A-DC679913E40B.jpeg

Back