which 240mm gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenn21

Reaction score
hi guys im getting a 240 mm gyuto and i would like to know which one you guys rate the choices are:
addict 2

http://www.**************.com/riknad24.html

or

gessin ginga 240mm wa gyuto
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/new-items-list/gesshin-ginga-240mm-white-2-wa-gyuto.html

the ******** Addict 2 Rosewood Handle 240mm is $169.95 and the gessin ginga 240mm wa gyuto is $250.00 is it really that much better than the addict price range is $250 i live in uk

if you could take some of your time reading theese threads
help neded with picking my knives uk imports
and
help choosing good japanese knives

theese two knives were recommended thats why i have narrowed it down to theese 2

Steven

Call Jon at JKI, he will answer all your questions directly and honestly. He will ask what you are looking for and he will guide you to the correct knife, it could be the Ginga or if your budget is tighter maybe the Yoshi he sells that is a similar price to the Addict. He will recommend the best knife for you regardless of if its one he sells or not.

Alan

Steven

Call Jon at JKI, he will answer all your questions directly and honestly. He will ask what you are looking for and he will guide you to the correct knife, it could be the Ginga or if your budget is tighter maybe the Yoshi he sells that is a similar price to the Addict. He will recommend the best knife for you regardless of if its one he sells or not.

Alan

Totally agree with you on that count.

I see you're a home chef. First off, how do you baby your knives. Carbon knives needs a lot of care, or they will be destroyed over night :(
Are you planning to sharpen them yourself or what are you planning to do to take care of the edge?

I recommend a 210 - 240 Gyuto. For a homechef I think you would more likely grab a 210 gyuto more often than a 240, even though 240 is a great size.
Its hard to recommend knives. If you gonna sharpen yourself I would recommend some stones and a Carter Funyaki. They are cladded so you get the best from both world :)

This will get you started to the wonderful world of sharp knives ,)

I see you're a home chef. First off, how do you baby your knives. Carbon knives needs a lot of care, or they will be destroyed over night :(
Are you planning to sharpen them yourself or what are you planning to do to take care of the edge?

I recommend a 210 - 240 Gyuto. For a homechef I think you would more likely grab a 210 gyuto more often than a 240, even though 240 is a great size.
Its hard to recommend knives. If you gonna sharpen yourself I would recommend some stones and a Carter Funyaki. They are cladded so you get the best from both world :)

This will get you started to the wonderful world of sharp knives ,)

is the ginga carbon or is the addict carbon? i think its the ginga right?
which sharpening tools and blocks should i get for the ginga?

I actually agree with everyone who has posted on this, so far. If you call Jon, he'll give you an honest response. However, if you snag a Carter SFGZ funy, in the size you're looking for, you'll be amazed! I can't remember whether or not $250 will get you one or not, though.

The usual line of the Gesshin Ginga is stainless but the link you have is to a White #2 version. The addict is cpm 154 IIRC. And that's stainless.

As for stones, same advice here, talk to Jon at JKI. Maybe if you can provide us with some information about your sharpening abilities etc? Otherwise, I've heard good stuff about the Gesshin stones, although I haven't tried it myself. Maybe you'd wanna look closer to home for stones as shipping stones are really really expensive due to their relative weight.

My vote goes to Carter as well ...

If you are considering those two, I don't really see why you wouldn't get a CarboNext at Japanese Chefs Knife. It's very nice and fairly stain resistant and the shipping will be insignificant. I have to agree with getting the stones more locally. As for Ashi vs Addict, I can only vouch for the Ashi being a very nice knife. It would more than likely take a finer edge based on the general characteristics of the steel. I also happen to like the profile better. I would also be surprised if the Addict is as thin behind the edge. For bragging rights among your friends, any of these will surely do. For bragging rights on a forum like this, I'd say Carter, but that's going to be out of your price range so I'd go for Ashi, myself.

Don't be too caught up in whether its carbon or not. Carbon just needs to be rinsed and wiped dry if you're going to leave for extended breaks while prepping food. Its the water and the food particles that will damage a blade, so as long as you're on top of it you'll be fine. If you're looking to invest a couple hundred in a knife than get one you really like and treat it like any other thing you value. Plus, once it patinas you'll get a bit more leeway.

I think I remember responding to you before, and again I'd recommend buying from Koki at JCK due to the very cheap shipping if you're from the UK. As Tinh says, the Carbonext is a great deal, especially for $7 shipping. It's very good value and would make a great first J-knife

If you are considering those two, I don't really see why you wouldn't get a CarboNext at Japanese Chefs Knife. It's very nice and fairly stain resistant and the shipping will be insignificant. I have to agree with getting the stones more locally. As for Ashi vs Addict, I can only vouch for the Ashi being a very nice knife. It would more than likely take a finer edge based on the general characteristics of the steel. I also happen to like the profile better. I would also be surprised if the Addict is as thin behind the edge. For bragging rights among your friends, any of these will surely do. For bragging rights on a forum like this, I'd say Carter, but that's going to be out of your price range so I'd go for Ashi, myself.

Carter rarely makes SFGZ in that size, and when he does they would be out of your price range. Go carbonext or ashi.

There are loads of options at JCK that you can go with.

You can also email Koki and he will select the right knife for you

I second the CarboNext motion. you can't beat koki's fast and cheap shipping. However, I really appreciate Jon's excellent customer service. It might be worth it to pay a little more and get something from him. The yoshihiro or gesshin ginga would be excellent choices. I have a Konosuke HD western from Jon that is an excellent knife. I don't think he has the western HD in stock, but you could send him a PM, write him an email, or call him.

I got my dad a Yoshihiro gyuto for his birthday. It's a nice knife knife, stainless and very reasonably priced, but it's definitely not a laser like the Ashi, and might even be thicker at the spine than the Addict. It came with an OK at best edge. It's worth looking into this knife as an option but I'd see if Jon can finish sharpen it for you or have it mailed to Dave before shipping to you.

If you can sharpen well, get the CarboNext for sure....such a great knife once its tuned up.

If you want bragging rights get a gyuto from WillC on this forum. Handmade in the UK, excellent F+F, and i love the way mine cut. They're carbon, but not massively reactive if you take care of them-dry them after use, wipe with oil if not going to be used for a while etc.

The carbonext won't give you bragging rights, from what others who have them have said it will give you a solidly performing knife at a good price. If the people you want bragging rights with are non knife people then i'd go for damascus for the bling factor.

If you look on KF in the for sale section you'll see a 240 Hattori HD in the UK. I'd go for this. Decent maker, in the UK already, ok steel, and damascus and £90 last time i looked.

If you're not happy with sharpening yet feel free to send it to me and i'll put an edge on it for you.

Otherwise i'll echo the words of others- if buying from the US don't forget to add on postage plus UK handling and customs charges (shipping will be £20ish, handling £10ish and 20% customs) which adds up. When i've bought from Koki i've not had to pay duty and the $7 flat rate shipping is a bargain.

i do want bragging rights:happymug: so it seems people are saying the carter 6.8sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/new-products/68sun-stainless-fukugozai-funayuki
is better than the ashi ginga

All of the linked to Carters are stainless clad carbon steel, e.g. Stainless sides for corrosion resistance and high carbon core for the cutting edge. The transition can be seen here

BoBMByLE

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4440-Carter-refinishing

The knife you linked to was more of a santoku shape so I gave you links to more gyuto shaped knives, both with white steel cores? The high grade knife will have a nicer finish than the SFGZ knife but you pay more for it. I have 3 SFGZ and 1 HG and i quite like the SFGZ finish, it's a personal thing.
Where in the UK are you?

Edit: when I clicked the link you added before it took me to this
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/new-products/72sun-stainless-fukugozai-shakekiri
Hence thinking it was more santoku shape, must have been my computer going haywire as the link is now going to the funayuki........

If you want bragging rights get a gyuto from WillC on this forum. Handmade in the UK, excellent F+F, and i love the way mine cut. They're carbon, but not massively reactive if you take care of them-dry them after use, wipe with oil if not going to be used for a while etc.

If I lived in UK I would really consider this. I would have called him and personally go there for a visit. Im sure the value in a lesson how to sharpen and how to get started would be priceless. Shippingcost and tax often gets to amazing high cost outside UK. I like the idea of supporting your local maker, and Im sure this will be very interesting for you.

Carters are nice knives, however you will get a flying start at Catcheside Cutlery. And a trip to a maker is a story to tell, the knife you'll get then got a cool story to tell your friends and brag about on this forum. Remember Camera on the trip

In reading over the threads, I've gotten the impression that you are new to Japanese knives, that this may be your first purchase?

The first two or three knife purchases are to learn how to use, maintain, and gain experience. In the end you may find that Japanese knifes are not a good fit for your kitchen.

The first knife should not be expensive, in the $100-$150 range. Hiromoto would be a good choice. Since you are in the UK, Japanese Chef Knife is a good option, flat rate shipping, with no import fees.
A thicker knife also known as a work horse, is a better choice for new user. They will withstand more abuse, and tolerate sharpening mistakes.

The Geshin Ginga series are thin knives, or lasers. Carters can get very thin. The Hattori Forum knife is a medium knife.

What ever knife you choose, try to stick to well known brands. If the knife doesn't work out, it will be easier to sell.

Jay

I know others have probably said it before, but I wouldn't spend too much on a first knife. I have learned this the hard way. The second knife I ever bought was a Masamoto KS and I screwed it up and only now, nearly a year after I bought it do I know how to fix it really

I'm going to go another direction, and suggest a Sab Nogent. I have one coming to me, because I just couldn't stop myself (Christmas helped ;) ).
They are kind of the shape that started it all, they have a reputation for taking abuse, and they're just damned cool! Maybe some who have them could pipe in. Sabs won me over a few years back, and I don't expect to be disappointed with this one.

Back