Which Carter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Neal

Reaction score
The resounding accolades for the Carter knives have convinced me that I must have one. But which one? I have recently become a single bevel addict, but it seems most of you are recommending the double bevel SFGZ. Not even the HG, and no one suggested the JP.

I need a small knife, so the Funayuki (or Honesuki JP) is what I need. Well, want.

If price were no object, which Carter would you choose?

Thanks,

Keith

p.s the web site says there is a choice of two different steel types (Hitachi White #1, or Hitachi Blue-Super)
which should I get?

+1. That's an easy one. If you don't like it, let me know. Think of it as a money back guarantee.

The resounding accolades for the Carter knives have convinced me that I must have one. But which one? I have recently become a single bevel addict, but it seems most of you are recommending the double bevel SFGZ. Not even the HG, and no one suggested the JP.

I need a small knife, so the Funayuki (or Honesuki JP) is what I need. Well, want.

If price were no object, which Carter would you choose?

Thanks,

Keith

If price was no object, then one of the custom damascus knives, that run about $200 an inch. Realistically, SFGZ if you want a wa-handle, IP if you want Western. If all you are interested in is the blede, and don't mind a plain black handle, then the SFGZ with a riveted handle (SFGZ RH). I have an SFGZ RH for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade area: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?373-F-S-Carter-4.1-sun-SFGZ-RH-Funayuki

Funny Keith I was thinking the same thing. All I've been reading is carter carter carter. So I will be getting one eventually!

Something like the 6.1 funayuki.

If Rick's was longer I'd probably be very interested in it, but I have no more room for petty's

I have a Carter 175mm wabocho and I love it.
If I could have my pick of Carter knives I would want a 240 international pro damascus gyutohttp://www.cartercutlery.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/100_6513.JPG

Everybody should have one. I love the funayukis and nakiris around 6 sun. SFGZs are very functional, HGs are a bit nicer and thinner, both are great knives. As for the steel: People will tell you otherwise, but unless you use the knife everyday or professionally, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I have both and could not tell them apart when I use them, and differences in sharpening are also not that huge.

Stefan

That's a decent deal on a little Carter in the BST, and Rick's a stand up guy so no worries there. I actually have an almost identical knife (in AS) in my block and that little sucker is a razor. IMHO the steel choice matters very little for this knife, they are both winners. If I were getting one of his western deba, a boning type, or single bevel I would go with white.

If you really want a single bevel there's a good chance he would make you one, you would just have to wait for it.

Hey, just trying to be helpful! To the OP, you get the money back guarantee for anything with a point. No santokus or nakiris.
:pirate1:

Wow. Just saw this thread, and that is a wonderful knife. Thanks for taking it off the market for the rest of us. And btw I didn't see the price, but the deba was 3+k. tk59's money back guarantee was a bold a$$ move.

k.

Speaking of Carter single bevels, did everyone see the 460mm(!) yanagi he had for sale?

100_6574.JPG

100_6538.JPG

Crazy!

So is he getting ready to shave with that?

I have good taste, you have too much money!
I noticed it was sold, you are one lucky s.o.b.

Don't hate. I've been saving for a while and I just received a paycheck for some catering work that I did. The check got lost (and I've been so busy that I forgot about it.) Anyway I have a lot less money now than I did before this knife habit got the best of me.

The Carter 6.5 sun HG Waboco that I purchased during his last sale has a better feel and has displaced a Mizuno 240 Honyaki (too thick along the spine), a Masamoto 240 Honyaki, a DT 270 AEB-L, and a Nenox S-1 240 gyuto from my drawer. I still have the Mac bread knife and the DT 240 carbon and DT 270 AEB-L suji in the drawer along with the GF's Itou santoku in a 210 (abalone handle- birthday gift. She won't keep it with her other German/ leave-in-the-sink knives).

Don't hate. I've been saving for a while and I just received a paycheck for some catering work that I did. The check got lost (and I've been so busy that I forgot about it.) Anyway I have a lot less money now than I did before this knife habit got the best of me.

The Carter 6.5 sun HG Waboco that I purchased during his last sale has a better feel and has displaced a Mizuno 240 Honyaki (too thick along the spine), a Masamoto 240 Honyaki, a DT 270 AEB-L, and a Nenox S-1 240 gyuto from my drawer. I still have the Mac bread knife and the DT 240 carbon and DT 270 AEB-L suji in the drawer along with the GF's Itou santoku in a 210 (abalone handle- birthday gift. She won't keep it with her other German/ leave-in-the-sink knives).

Good for you! Those are some nice knives that have become drawer queens thanks to the Carter. Can't wait to see/hear your thoughts on the new damascus. Congrats!

On the subject of Carter's, can someone tell me what a funayuki is? I've never seen/used one. Only seen them on Carter's site. They look like a gyuto in profile, and I don't understand the differences.

(Sorry if I posted this question in another thread and forgot about it... been terribly busy lately... :O)

For Carter's line, it is a short Gyuto. I have heard there is some esoteric difference in a true "Funayuki" but I don't know what it is(because they are very uncommon), and a Carter Funayuki is not one of those. It's a short Gyuto.

Yes, normally it would be a single bevel knife. I always liken it to a really thin deba.

As Eamon said, that's not the case with Carter's "Funayuki," it's just a smaller gyuto/utility knife. Really a handy knife, great all around shape, but not the traditional style knife that its namesake is.

Carter Funayuki: small (> 210 mm), gyuto height, usually flat santokuesque edge profile, usually very pointy tip.

...usually flat santokuesque edge profile....

That sounds more like what he calls a wabocho to me. I may be wrong, but you can test it out: I thought that one of the main differences between the gyuto and the funayuki is that the gyuto has a part of the blade that is dead flat whereas the funayuki has a slight curve across the whole edge. At least I thing the flat part is not as pronounced as in a gyuto. I may be wrong, haven't verified it on all the ones I have, only on a smaller one.

Stefan

If it's a wa-bocho then the pointy tip doesn't fit (they have stubby tips), so maybe I should put it "pretty flat" but not as flat as a wa-bocho. Wa-bocho and Funayuki are both small knives (up to 6.5 sun according to MCs website). The longer ones even if they are basically shaped like a Funayuki are usually called gyuto but IDK how stringent he uses his nomenclature.

On the subject of Carter's, can someone tell me what a funayuki is? I've never seen/used one. Only seen them on Carter's site. They look like a gyuto in profile, and I don't understand the differences.

(Sorry if I posted this question in another thread and forgot about it... been terribly busy lately... :O)

I've always wondered this as well, thanks for asking!

Another thing I've noticed with Carter's knives... typically it seems the guys here want longer all around knives, you don't see too many people on here talking about 210mm gyutos, but when it comes to Carter, everyone talks about wanting/owning a really short funayaki. It just seems that when small knives are discussed here they're either talking about a petty or a girlfriend/wife knife. I'm still learning, so correct me if I'm wrong on this!

If it's a wa-bocho then the pointy tip doesn't fit (they have stubby tips), so maybe I should put it "pretty flat" but not as flat as a wa-bocho. Wa-bocho and Funayuki are both small knives (up to 6.5 sun according to MCs website). The longer ones even if they are basically shaped like a Funayuki are usually called gyuto but IDK how stringent he uses his nomenclature.

I'm pretty sure(though not a speaker in the least) that "wa" is a particle in Japanese, and "bocho" means 'knife'. So wa-bocho is just like "the knife".
Either way, styles of Japanese knives are more rigorous overseas than in Japan. There's a reason there are 2 main types of Nakiri...cause everyone likes 'em different.

Back