Which dedicated protein slicer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you say "Proprietary"?

Can THEY say "XRF gun"?

Any competitor who WANTS to know CAN find out what alloys a manufacturer uses the same day they bother to buy and test one.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62003...06.wap_new_search.1998817009.7.64fa284fcsQ0HN

20181219_120518.jpg

Only people being kept in the dark would be the less astute or uninterested among the public.

Failure to disclose exact steel information = manufacturer doesn't think that would be a positive thing for their sales to John Q. Public, NOT "super proprietary alloy, trade secret needing to be kept from our competition".

Last edited:
I kind of get where you're coming from but we are talking inexpensive knives here. For a bit more cash you will likely get more info but not much better knife. W/ shig you get iwasaka...*** is that?

That's Shig steel

Not saying that Pooh is wrong but I have little to no interest in knowing proprietary materials or processes used in making a knife. Only it's functionality.

Appologies to all.

I am sorry that I let one of my personal issues intrude into several threads recently.

There IS such a thing as proprietary information. It is virtually NEVER the chemical/structural makeup and other gross physical characteristics of an item sold to the general public. Because, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can analyze a sample and reverse engineer the composition and gross physical characterisrics of an object in nothing flat.

PROCESSES for economical and precise production can be proprietary, these could take a few weeks/months by a decent engineering team to figure out...

Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions and information- And especially to those who have offered to sell their personal knives.

I like the sharpness and sharpenability of Carbon steel, but will probably screw up sooner or later and forget to clean.

I am going to order the "CarboNext" 270mm Sujihiki from JCK. I made this decision at least partly because, allegedly new materials? Maybe a full size blade of a Japanese equivalent to D2?! Curiousity...

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ki-240mm-to-300mm-3-sizes?variant=29161451651

Last edited by a moderator:
Iwasaki.is the best steel there is. Good reason for keeping recipe a secret.

So if it's the best steel ever, and the workmanship is impeccable, why are the knives so meh?

Oh, agree on Carbonext. Not much to it.

Sigh.

They did have several good reviews for the SLICER, didn't check on the gyuto.

One of the members who was offering to sell me their Carbon steel slicers did congratulate me, saying they bough the CarboNext sujihiki and like it?!

I already paid for the order, so it looks like I am going to pee on this electric fence for myself. Will report later on whether it curls my hair or makes me crap my overalls.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/will_rogers_393513

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ople_who_have_peed_on_an_electric_fence_what/

Last edited:
The knife arrived today (my birthday- Yay!)

This is the most expensive J knife I have bought so far. Baby steps...

If this is a ho hum steel, uninteresting make, not especially sharp and generally somewhat inferior slicer? Your good one would probably give me a heart attack

Got the standard edge, not the "extra fine".

Has what looks like a 70:30 edge. Can any speak as to why the maker might choose to grind the bevel like this?

Out of the box, shaves cleanly, zips through copier paper with very little drag, tomatoes swoon and fall into pieces at a touch. Didn't have a roast ready to test cut, working on that now-

I had a 5lb. corned beef roast in the freezer that was on sale after St. Patrick's Day. Put the beef in sous vide @ 130 F., set for 48 hours, will report more after the meat slicing.

The knife arrived today (my birthday- Yay!)

If this is a ho hum, uninteresting, not especially sharp and generally somewhat inferior slicer? Your good ones would probably give me a heart attack

Got the standard edge, not the "extra fine".

Has what looks like a 70:30 grind. Out of the box, shaves cleanly, zips through copier paper with very little drag, tomatoes swoon and fall into pieces at a touch.

I had a 5lb. corned beef roast in the freezer that was on sale after St. Patrick's Day. Put her into the sous vide @ 130 F., set for 48 hours, will report more after the meat slicing.

Awesome! Glad you like it so far.

IMHO it possible that inexpensive semi-stainless can make pretty decent butchery knives...
hopefully the OP got a good sample from JCK on the carbonext

3 weeks + on, a home sharpening and a large corned beef brisket, several large hunks of sous vide + BBQ smoked meat sliced paper thin + various other ingredient slicings later?

I LOVE the way this knife performs.

I might have loved one of the traditional carbon steel sujis previously recomended in thread as much or more, won't know unless I snag one to compare. I now realize I should have bought a dedicated slicer way, way back while I was being a prep cook and line chef, 30 odd years ago.

The "CarboNext" blade is truly only semi stainless. I made the mistake of giving it a quick wipe and laying it on the cutting board and forgetting to wash properly once, it will indeed discolor if left soiled overnight. But it didn't outright RUST the way one of my straight carbon core/carbon clad blades would have. A few minutes with some metal polish on denim and it's good as new.

After slicing somewheres around 15 lb. raw weight of various meats into THIN slices it doesn't need sharpening- And I have NOT steeled or stropped it, I've done nothing but cut meat, wash and dry the blade. Steel seems to be plenty hard and adequately wear resistant.

Last edited:
Back