Which do you prefer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s a pic ... I’m not saying any more. Which knife do you think you would like better?

39703064-15CE-46BF-8BE3-6869BC0523F0.jpeg

That’s true ... I have my opinions. BUT ... these knives have been the subject of endless discussion, display and speculation on KKF and elsewhere. Let’s say that one has sold for hundreds of dollars more than the other. Friendships have been torched in the process. Okay ... that may be an overstatement but many have expressed opinions. Sooooo ... confronted with the reality ... which one to you think YOU prefer? Personally, I wouldn’t kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers!

Sooooo ... confronted with the reality ... which one to you think YOU prefer?
I'm a fan of fancy handles. It's just that I don't particularly like wood that's been died blue, green, red, or whatever. So, in this case, I'd vote for the Ho wood version.

This is my fancy-handled KS. Amboyna burl and African Blackwood, with copper, brass, and nickel silver spacers. And I don't care whether anyone else likes it. What matters is that I like it :)
image.png

Michi knows his stuff ... fwiw I like your handle better too. My biggest problem with the fancy handle is that it shifts the blade to a handle heavy ... which I don’t normally prefer. So am I correct in saying that your KS is “new stock”?

Michi knows his stuff ... fwiw I like your handle better too. My biggest problem with the fancy handle is that it shifts the blade to a handle heavy ... which I don’t normally prefer.
Yes, the replacement handle is a bit heavier than the original, so it does shift the balance a bit. The new balance point is midway between the heel and the end of the ferrule now.

So am I correct in saying that your KS is “new stock”?
Yes, this is the new version with the laser-engraved kanji. I bought it at the beginning of the year when a batch of the KS3124 became available.

I enjoy using that knife. Sharp and nimble.

Exactly my point, Michi. I’ve used my new stock KS 3124 quite a bit ... hence the patina. It is an excellent knife ... not my absolute favourite but it’s in my permanent block and I reach for it often. The old stock KS3124 appears to be excellent as well. I am kind of wondering what the fuss was all about ... new stock vs old stock? Maybe I will learn more while I use the old stock blade over time.

I am kind of wondering what the fuss was all about ... new stock vs old stock? Maybe I will learn more while I use the old stock blade over time.
I honestly have no idea. If you find any differences, let us know please!

The correct answer is always TF Denka :p

For me, I prefer the ho wood version. The custom handle has too much going for it. Also, you already have your answer since you said the custom makes it too handle heavy which you do not prefer.

Ho wood handle and the knife with patina! I can mix them up, right? :D

The ho handle. I find the handle on my KS to be extremely comfortable for one and for two I don't like flashy handles. Something about a KS with a non D seems wrong too...

I have one that looks like your Ho also old stock with a white horn. Great knife and not too tip heavy.

I would be concerned about the change in balance if I changed the handle weight much. But, I find I can accommodate to small changes, working in a home kitchen, easily. I imagine a pro, who works all day and who is accustomed to certain feedback is likely more affected.

The only other thing is that a lot of the new style handles are epoxied in place. So you can not remove it, to refinish the blade, without destroying the handle.

For me a knifes beauty is in its blade and how it works. The color is nothing more than eye candy.

I have no problem with eye candy. Thats part of why I married her.

I like the blue handle. It's a mono steel blade so there will be a ton of blue hues to the patina. The black ferrule classes it up a bit. The spacers are a bit busy.

I think custom handles should compliment the blade.

I also like Ho wood handle. And I completely agree with above statement "For "Japanese knives" I prefer simplicity to sophistication"

For me...ho or burnt chestnut look and work best on Japanese knives, especially a classic like a KS.
The two custom examples have way too much metal bling for my taste
Reminds me of putting big shiny rims on a car.

Personally I gravitate to stunning wood in natural colors. I have made all sorts of craziness, people should get what they want.

Back