Which Grill To Buy: PK 300 vs Weber Master Touch?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest the weber performer deluxe. I had an earlier version that seems nearly identical for 15+ years. The gas start is super convenient and gets it going in 10 minutes, similar to a gas grill. I think the gas start is a required feature for anything regularly used.

I've had a performer kettle and a summit gasser, the fins that clear the ash on my kettle would rust out every 3 years and the flavor bars and gas tubes on the summit rusted out after 5. I don't know anything about the pk 300 but a couple of my eggs I've had for over 20 years now.
Completely different experience from my summit. What you see is a 16 year old s-470...yes I replaced the manifold and burners and drip plates at 12 years but I seriously think this box will outlive me.
3663.jpeg

Both the grills are viable performers you are looking at, but neither have the feature I find most important for a charcoal grill. Grills that have a crank, that allows you to adjust the coals, are infinitely more functional than grills where you adjust the grates. Steak example. Build your fire on one end, crank fire up, sear. Lower coals, move steaks to other side and finish at 350. So easy with the crank. A royal B without.
This is KKF and I give you the Hasty Bake grill. Now this is a emmmmm "hand built" performer akin to the blue 1 beauty your using to cut up
your shish kabob.

I suggest the weber performer deluxe. I had an earlier version that seems nearly identical for 15+ years. The gas start is super convenient and gets it going in 10 minutes, similar to a gas grill. I think the gas start is a required feature for anything regularly used.
Cheers. The weber performer deluxe looks like a very good grill at a good price. However, several things are a deal breaker—the gas ignition is a no-go, people I'm buying it for are bbq luddites (preferring crumpled newspaper to startup coals) and they'd be worried about the gas canister exploding (hot Hawaiian sun is brutal); also the weber performer deluxe is too big, it will be a grill stored in the tool shed after each use as mentioned in my first post.

The Weber 22 Kettle or Master Touch about as large as I'd go. There's a big park bench next to where the grill will sit, that's used to put trays, cooked/raw ingredients, tools, etc.

Both the grills are viable performers you are looking at, but neither have the feature I find most important for a charcoal grill. Grills that have a crank, that allows you to adjust the coals, are infinitely more functional than grills where you adjust the grates. Steak example. Build your fire on one end, crank fire up, sear. Lower coals, move steaks to other side and finish at 350. So easy with the crank. A royal B without.
This is KKF and I give you the Hasty Bake grill. Now this is a emmmmm "hand built" performer akin to the blue 1 beauty your using to cut up
your shish kabob.
Interesting, can you give and example (brands, etc.) of grills that "have a crank, that allows you to adjust the coals"?

Is what you're talking about similar to the high end Kalamazoo Grills? Are there low end alternatives?
https://kalamazoogourmet.com/produc...VgoJbCh3PwAkEEAQYAiABEgLTFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
$37,830!!!!! This is a gorgeous grill!!!! But seriously, to buy this I'd have to sell my entire knife/stone collection, cash in some stocks, and buy a MISEN to cut steaks.

Interesting, can you give and example (brands, etc.) of grills that "have a crank, that allows you to adjust the coals"?

Is what you're talking about similar to the high end Kalamazoo Grills? Are there low end alternatives?
https://kalamazoogourmet.com/produc...VgoJbCh3PwAkEEAQYAiABEgLTFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
$37,830!!!!! This is a gorgeous grill!!!! But seriously, to buy this I'd have to sell my entire knife/stone collection, cash in some stocks, and buy a MISEN to cut steaks.
Sorry Ditmas, bad name imo for a great charcoal grill. Hasty Bake is the name.. About 1200 usd

View attachment 192788View attachment 192789View attachment 192790
View attachment 192793

I’m a huge pk fan. I’ve cooked at least one meal per week on it for the past 5 years. Ash management is definitely a thing. Although not pretty, a full sized hotel pan underneath is a serviceable catcher. I’m not sure it’s a grill for everyone, but it does perform. I like the small footprint, minimalist design and the heat/vent control make it easy to dial in and maintain temps for smoking. It’s also efficient with charcoal because of its design and thickness which also allows for it to get rippin hot. It’s a meat grilling machine. I still think the Weber is probably more well suited to most average cooks. If cost isn’t a factor and you don’t mind the messiness, I’d say go for the pk. Someday I’ll upgrade to the 360.
Cool. So, you have the Original Original PK, as opposed to the New Original PK300, right? The small footprint a major plus. You have any problems with the lit falling off the hinge or slamming shut while open? Honest question. Sometimes it gets windy in my parent's backyard. I do like some of the upgrades they worked into the PK300.
Whatever grill I get will mostly be used by me and my sister during visits, which is quite regularly. My sister is a serious griller/smoker from Colorado, she has a good pellet grill.
TBH, both the Weber Master Touch and PK300 are still running neck and neck for various reasons.

Sorry Ditmas, bad name imo for a great charcoal grill. Hasty Bake is the name.. About 1200 usd
Hahahah, yeah, a terrible name!!! They look good, but sadly most are beyond my humble budget.

However, LOVE the little Hasty Bake competition steak grill—dig the 'tool box' look. Not very versatile, but would be a killer fish, steak, chicken grill IMO.

not to hyjack. but the butcher paper my butchers wrap the meat is the superior fire starter. it blows away newsprint, which i dont even get anymore.

the butcher paper is wax coated so it is a firebomb wick. another bonus of going to a real butcher to get meats. :D

not to hyjack. but the butcher paper my butchers wrap the meat is the superior fire starter. it blows away newsprint, which i dont even get anymore.

the butcher paper is wax coated so it is a firebomb wick. another bonus of going to a real butcher to get meats. :D
My parent's—who grill is being bought for—just use balls of newspaper, and will never change. I'll be buying a charcoal chimney, that I'll use with the grill.

Completely different experience from my summit. What you see is a 16 year old s-470...yes I replaced the manifold and burners and drip plates at 12 years but I seriously think this box will outlive me. View attachment 192832
For what I paid I was hoping that would have been my experience, they wanted $350 for the parts. I gave it to my son in law and he ended up junking it.

Last edited:
Cool. So, you have the Original Original PK, as opposed to the New Original PK300, right? The small footprint a major plus. You have any problems with the lit falling off the hinge or slamming shut while open? Honest question. Sometimes it gets windy in my parent's backyard. I do like some of the upgrades they worked into the PK300.
Whatever grill I get will mostly be used by me and my sister during visits, which is quite regularly. My sister is a serious griller/smoker from Colorado, she has a good pellet grill.
TBH, both the Weber Master Touch and PK300 are still running neck and neck for various reasons.
Duuuuuude. I did not even realize the OG had been replaced. I’m so out of the loop. I’ll step aside 🤦🏼

I just watched a guy use an old paint brush to push the spent ash out of the back of PK360. the Weber wins this criteria by a mile.

I just watched a guy use an old paint brush to push the spent ash out of the back of PK360. the Weber wins this criteria by a mile.
I've grilled a lot, but have only used super cheap, rusty grills, just dumping spent ash over the lemongrass in the backyard. That said, I've read that the Weber Kettle ash mechanism sometimes breaks down; but the PK grill seems to require more work getting the ash out. Definite pros/cons with both.

Specs on both grills which I should've included in the initial post. Weber the more cost effective, comes with baskets and built in thermometer; I'd have to spend an additional $40 for a lid thermometer for the PK 300. I've a few months to consider the two befor pulling the trigger. Despite the higher cost, the smaller footprint of PK 300 an attraction.
banner-pk300 copy.jpg

pk300-dimensions copy.jpg

Charcoal_Specs_678x3784.jpg

I've grilled a lot, but have only used super cheap, rusty grills, just dumping spent ash over the lemongrass in the backyard. That said, I've read that the Weber Kettle ash mechanism sometimes breaks down; but the PK grill seems to require more work getting the ash out. Definite pros/cons with both.
yea. I had my old 15 year old grill rust out the ash sweeper. that is my only instance. I abused that poor grill. just stored it in the backyard uncovered. I'd find an ash paste in the bottom after a rain storm. the repair: I think I changed it out for a few bucks. it was the easiest repair in my existence as a human. CAKE. It was barely a blip on my annoyance radar. I'd happily do it if I didn't have to have a brush to store.. brushing ash is a non starter. for me.

I wouldn't waste money on a thermometer for the lid. You actually want the thermo about the same height as what you're cooking because a dome thermometer will register a much higher temp than what the meat, (or whatever), is cooking at. There are a lot of leave in thermometer available and I suggest you return to the Amazing Ribs reviews and check out thermometers. ;)

I wouldn't waste money on a thermometer for the lid. You actually want the thermo about the same height as what you're cooking

I disagree. The temperature value is different than the temp at the grate but its useful information. Experience will let you factor it into cook times.

If the thermometer on my charcoal grill is reading 200F then I know I can cook shrimp for 30s a side because the thermometer actually went all the way around well past 600F and its well on its way to melting the grate. Perfect temp.

I disagree. The temperature value is different than the temp at the grate but its useful information. Experience will let you factor it into cook times.

If the thermometer on my charcoal grill is reading 200F then I know I can cook shrimp for 30s a side because the thermometer actually went all the way around well past 600F and its well on its way to melting the grate. Perfect temp.
You are welcome to disagree with me, but what do you do when a recipe sez cook at 225° or whatever. By having your temp probe at the same level as the meat, ya don't have to worry about figuring the actual cooking temp, 'cause your probe will tell you.

And when I cook chicken on my kettle, I also use the dome temp because the actual grate temp is not critical. I'm cooking just about as hot as it will go anyway.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but what do you do when a recipe sez cook at 225° or whatever.

Ya for smoking I stick a meat thermometer in a wine cork and put it right on the grate to get accurate temperatures. I totally agree with you that the lid temp isn’t for any precision measurement. But if I’m cooking a couple chops on a Tuesday night I just need something to give me an idea of 4 mins a side or 5. An instant read temp in the chop gets the final verdict anyway.

I bought a PK about three years ago. Have used Weber grills for decades. What I like about the PK is the rectangular cooking surface. I find it is much more convenient to control a two zone cooking set up for reverse sear and to have an area to keep food warm while searing meat. I love the cast aluminum construction. This will probably be the last charcoal I purchase. I was at the Wahiawa Ace Hardware this week and noticed they now have PK grills for sale. This may be a plus for you as you won’t have to deal with shipping.

Attachments

• B22CC8AB-08AD-46AD-B34B-C57ADE2E9620.jpeg
    B22CC8AB-08AD-46AD-B34B-C57ADE2E9620.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back