Which is the best laser?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
Stupid question, but which are the best laser gyutos and how exactly do people use these? Is the preferred length for a laser different from a person's preferred length for a more typical gyuto?

I truly appreciate your efforts to drive conversation, and get ideas for yourself, but you’ll do better by asking “what’s your favorite and why” as opposed to “what’s the best”, I believe.

It’s hard to be new in an established community, sometimes. You can end up asking people to talk about things they’ve already talked about. I DO think you’re asking good questions, though.

I truly appreciate your efforts to drive conversation, and get ideas for yourself, but you’ll do better by asking “what’s your favorite and why” as opposed to “what’s the best”, I believe.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. I looked through some old threads but couldn't pick out the details except for the epic Konosuke Fujiyama history.

Thanks, for some reason this didn't come up when I searched old laser threads. But I'm still confused as even that thread lists some names without saying much about each, and there is a persistent debate on which knives are really in the laser category. Also, none of the old threads have an answer to whether you would prefer a different knife length from your typical favored length if you buy a laser.

I think of Konosuke HD2 and stainless, Ashi Ginga, Suisin inox honyaki, Takamura, and Shibata as archetypal lasers. Current generation KS's are close, to me, but not quite. I like lasers for fine work and smaller tasks. I use a 210 Ginga petty all the time as an all-purpose knife. But for bigger prep, I tend to prefer a little more heft.

Many of the laser knives are made in Sakai, a city in Japan, they measure blade length from the machi, the step between the tang and the neck to the tip. Some other makers measure blade length from the heel to the tip. So, the Sakai knives blades are shorter. Also, Sakai lasers are very light especially with a wa handle. When getting a Sakai laser you might prefer to "round up in size". A 210 Sakai laser gyuto in use seems much smaller than say a 210 Sanjo made Wakui gyuto.

Many of the laser knives are made in Sakai, a city in Japan, they measure blade length from the machi, the step between the tang and the neck to the tip. Some other makers measure blade length from the heel to the tip. So, the Sakai knives blades are shorter. Also, Sakai lasers are very light especially with a wa handle. When getting a Sakai laser you might prefer to "round up in size". A 210 Sakai laser gyuto in use seems much smaller than say a 210 Sanjo made Wakui gyuto.

Yes, this. You might also consider a Western handle -- it should help the knife feel more stable and substantial.

Do you want the handle to add weight, or would you prefer that the knife be lighter overall? And would you prefer a shorter, more nimble length compared to your usual (assuming you are measuring the same way)? For example, does anyone love a 270 mm laser gyuto?

If I were to use a laser as a one-and-done travel knife, I'd want the Western handle for heft and stability. If I had it to do again, I'd likely get a 270 HD2, which is undersized. But I have a 270 KS, so it seems redundant.

It's just a question of preference. A bigger Gyuto provides better leverage and more blade to work with. The lasers are so nimble that I have no trouble brunoise-ing a shallot with that size blade.

Just like many things in life, what one person likes and thinks is the best, someone else will think is trash. And opinions in between.

People can give suggestions, but ultimately, your preferences will determine what is a "Grail" knife to you.

I like a laser 180. Almost certainly working on small product in small space. Mine's a Gesshin Ginga.

I don't use a 210 much but do have Tad INOX. It's the one I offer to cooking partners.

My "work" knives are 240. Ive had lasers this size but don't like em. I wanna get stuff done.

Back to lasers with a 270. The added heft makes them feel normal, and they can work thru a pile of big stuff making it into little stuff. Mine are a a Kono HD2 and Suisin IH K-tip. Love the Suisin.

Hello

OOTB ...Takamura R2

39086626id.jpeg

A little tuning...Handle is changed to Ebony Wood
I changed the angle from 14 to 30 degrees....so its more useful

39086628cv.jpeg

All time the Suizid IH and Custom Xerxes ( German knife maker )

39086631zh.jpeg

regards

Gabe

Also, the search tool works wel. Questions like these have been asked multiple times over.

The man is right - and I happen to know that with a very good accuracy - because I started a slew of such threads back in the day myself :)

Search engine works and delivers results, but I do understand that often we just need people to talk to us and helps us choose.

P.S. What DaveB says makes a lot of sense ... most of the time :p

My "work" knives are 240. Ive had lasers this size but don't like em. I wanna get stuff done.

Back to lasers with a 270. The added heft makes them feel normal, and they can work thru a pile of big stuff making it into little stuff.
Heh, so do you prefer lasers that are 210 or 270 mm? Or it depends?

Shibata Kotetsu Bunka 180 in R2
Konosuke HD2 210
And depending on what you get weight wise, Kono FM 210 in White 2.
Thanks, why do you list the Kono FM third, and why the 180 or 210 mm recommendation?

Would it make sense to consider a 150 mm laser petty over a 180 mm laser gyuto in that first context?

I not only considered it, i bought one. Then I sold it.

You need to do what makes sense for you. If you think you might like something then buy it and see. Great thing about bst is that you can arrive at your own conclusions first hand. If you don't like something it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. You can resell it for a (usually) small "usage tax".

Some good advice in this thread. Great starting point. Search button is your friend to research the knives people are discussing here.

Size 220-240mm
My favorite laser is Markin standard gyuto.

Thanks, why do you list the Kono FM third, and why the 180 or 210 mm recommendation?
This is based on knives I've actually handled. I'm a home cook so 210 is my wheelhouse.

The FM is only on there third as it depends on the knife you get. The White 2 210 was listed as 132g, but my knife came in at 117g which I consider a laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back