'Which knife should I buy" -

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkcbiologist

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
- Gyuto/K-tip

Are you right or left handed?
- Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-Wa preferred

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
- 210-225mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
- Yes, Ginsan preferred, but open

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
- 300 ish, prefer under.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
- Home, 60% baking, 40% cooking

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
- Basic utility functions for home baking, and cooking. I will not be breaking down meat or filleting with this knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
- Global Sai 190mm Santoku, will be using a mazaki 240mm for most of the cooking purposes, but looking for less reactive knife for chopping/slicing, dicing.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
- Mostly pinch, less often combo.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
- Push, Rock, Chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
- My mazaki and matsubura bunka is a bit too reactive, I am lazy and I have a GF who will also use it every now and then. (To clarify they are not too reactive, i am getting lazier and other family members are learning to cook or helping me and just looking for a SS)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
- Not really, I do enjoy the clean polished look of a migaki finished knife.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
- Not really a fan of lazer, i kind of prefer a thicker spine like my old Kato. I do prefer a tall heel around 52+ mm

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
- Less reactive, decent food release (not a professional), good rocker, fairly sharp out of the box (quick lap over a strop)

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
- Again pretty lazy, so i hope it holds for a fairly long time.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
- Maple wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
- No, but I can, i have and i will sometimes. 300, 1000, and 6000 stones

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
- No

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
- not currently,

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

- Around 210mm (less than 240mm0
- Ginsan preferred (open to SS)
- Heel around 52+ (open to slightly smaller, or larger)
- Migaki finish (Again open)
- Around 300 or less

Closed..... I got a Kanehiro ginsan with the heel at 52.5 mm if anyone was wondering. On a second note if anyone has had any fortune or misfortune with a Kanehiro or how it differs from a Kato, I would love to hear your opinion.

Appreciate it, I am looking forward to doing/practicing some tip work with it too, just clicked all the boxes for me. Thanks for letting me know your fortune with it.

Back