which knife should I get next ?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by intelguy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aug 9, 2018 #1

intelguy

intelguy

intelguy

Hi to all knife expert here

I am a newbie to Japanese knife. So far I have the following types of knifes:

(1) VG-10 stainless steel 240mm Chef knife
    (2) VG-10 stainless steel 100mm paring knife
    (3) Narihira Stainless Japanese-style Deba Knife 150mm
    (4) Masashi Koi Nakiri 165mm.

If I prefer to get something with stainless steel for easy maintenance but with a Japanese handle, what else would you recommend me to get ? ( I am a newbie) .

Cheers,

Vincent

2. Aug 9, 2018 #2

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Tanaka Ginsan from KnS is a deal. Preety easy to sharpen(easier than vg10).

3. Aug 9, 2018 #3

intelguy

intelguy

intelguy

hi Alexec, is the Tanaka Ginsan you suggest me to get is gyuto

4. Aug 9, 2018 #4

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

SR. Supporting Member

Welcome intelguy.

We need a bit more intel

It will help if you decide which type of blade you want next (gyuto, suji, petty, etc).

It will also help if you tell us which VG10 knives you have. The main difference between knives is in the profile (shape of the knife viewed from the side) and the grind (cross sectional shape) of the knife. The steel itself is important, but not as important as the grind in determining performance. With most steels (especially VG10), the way in which the smith (or the factory) heat treats the steel is more important than which steel is used. So the actual make of the knife is quite important.

I suggest that you fill out the questionnaire:
    https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/index.php?threads/12791/

Cut and paste the questionairre into this thread, then answer the questions.

5. Aug 9, 2018 #5

Alexec

Alexec

Alexec

Yes, they have petty aswell

6. Aug 9, 2018 #6

intelguy

intelguy

intelguy

What country are you in? --> I am living in Vancouver, BC, Canada

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? --> I might be interested in getting a slicer or petty knife

I already have the following knife:

(1) VG-10 stainless steel 240mm Tojiro DP Gyuto knife
    (2) VG-10 stainless steel 80mm Kanetsune 33 Layer Damascus Paring Knife
    (3) Narihira Stainless Japanese-style Deba Knife 150mm
    (4) Masashi Koi Nakiri 165mm

Are you right or left handed? --> Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? --> Japanese Handle with wood

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? ---> no idea

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)--> Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?--> US $ 100-250.00 Max before S & H to Canada

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? --> Use at home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for --> slicing meats, cutting down poultry, trimming meats

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?--> pointed finger grip or Hammer grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? --> Slice, chop and rock chop

Better aesthetics --> prefer to have Damascus or other pattern of steel; Japanese style handle with wood and better stain resistance

Comfort --> lighter knife with better hand shape

Ease of Use --> ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food

Edge Retention --> prefer not to sharpen it after 3-4 months later

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? --> only use the wood cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? ---> No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? --> No

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?--> No

7. Aug 10, 2018 #7

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

Just a few thoughts; if you want a slicer for meat prep, they are usually long and thin but also don't make very good poultry knives or rock choppers due to the blade profile (long skinny). You already have a Tojiro 240 thats a plenty good knife to breakdown poultry with, anything better then you are looking at a true butchers knife or honesuki, but they dont make very good slicers. With owning any good japanese knife, learning how to sharpen would be a great idea :)

8. Aug 10, 2018 #8

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

SR. Supporting Member

Sounds like you want a suji or a petty made of a PM srainless steel like SG2/R2 or SRS15. These steels have a long lived edge.

Damascus finishes will significantly increase the price wihout helping performance at all. At this price point you will get a much better knife without damascus. How badly so you want damascus?

I agree that you will get better use out of good knives if you spend a little time learning to sharpen them.

For deboning chook, you can learn to use a honosuke to debone the Japanese way. Personally, I just use a 30 buck Vic boning knife. And a cheap western cleaver if I wanna go through bone.

Edit: Having just seen how Theory demolishes whole chooks with his honesuke, I'm now thinking that I gotta give that a go!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Aug 11, 2018 #9

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

SR. Supporting Member

Just to be clear, what I am asking is: Do you want great edge retention (a PM steel) or a damascus knife with reasonable edge retention (probably VG10)? Or are you prepared to pay (a fair bit) more to have both?