Which of these knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Hi guys! Long story short, I'm in the market for a smaller gyuto or a petty, in the 150-180mm range, to complement a bigger chef knife. This knife will probably see almost daily use and I am more inclined towards a gyuto as more versatile but open to suggestions. Knuckle clearance is important and I would like for it to be thin and light. Maintenance etc is not that important.

I live in Switzerland and the offer is limited, Cleancut and others don't ship here plus hidden import charges make things difficult. My best bet is probably this local importer that I came across, they seem to carry more obscure brands but I could be wrong. Which of these if any seem legit and a good deal to you? My budget is 200 max, for some of the knifes they have the option of 10% off with the importer's logo which I don't mind. Lastly, if you come across better options on the site that I did not list, give me a shout.

Tokaji Aogami 2 Black Gyuto 185mm Magnolia
Tanaka Shigeki Aogami 2 Black Gyuto 185mm
Zakuri AS Wa-Santoku 170mm RO
Ashi Hamono Wa-Gyuto 180mm Shirogami
Konosuke GS Wa-Santoku 180mm
Moritaka Aogami Supreme Petit 150mm octagonal
Hiroshi Kato Wa-Gyuto 180mm AS Kurouchi
Katsushige Anryu Wa-Gyuto 180mm Hammered CO
Kohsey Aogami Super Santoku 180mm
Masakage Yuki Wa-Gyuto 180mm

Tanaka Shigeki VG-10 Nashiji Wa-Gyuto 185mm Keyaki

There are a couple of santokus in the list that are in the same ballpark.

Tanaka Aogami & Ashi Shirogami are legit.
Ashi should have better fit and finish.
Note the Ashi runs a bit short @ 175mm x 40MM

Zakuri knives are nice but more rustic and thick, but good steel. I have a 210 petty that I really enjoy.

Konosuke is good choice for semi stainless so easy maintenance.

I'd be happy with any of the above...

Ashi. Impeccable grind, finish and heat treat. Thin and wonderfully light.

Of course everyone is recommending the two knives that are not in stock :) I will ask how long it would take. In the meantime, any other recommendations?

The Ashi is Shirogami 2 monosteel, any special considerations with that? It does look very thin and light with 1.8 mm at the heel and 1 at the tip, I guess that is what you would call a laser. If the knuckle guard is only 40 mm I would be a bit concerned, it's the minimum I can live with.

In would seriously consider the Munetoshi 165 petty - which in fact is a small gyuto (40mm tall). Great little knife.

If you consider Zakuri, than have a look at the 165 funayuki (super blue or blue#2)

Ashi is carried by a lot of places. Gesshin Ginga from JKI, Carbon Knife, several others

In would seriously consider the Munetoshi 165 petty - which in fact is a small gyuto (40mm tall). Great little knife.
Thanks Matus, that one is not available here.

Forgive me missing that.
Could you have a buddy elsewhere in the EU order and then ship to you? Lots of people do that type of thing.

https://www.japanische-kochmesser.ch/

The only shop in Europe that sells Ashis. And absolutly trustworthy, my deal with Mr. Röllin was a joy.

It's a pity this shop isn't in a country of the EU, I would buy lots of knives there.

Mack.

No Switzerland wanted to keep its ‘special’ status. I am not sure how well is that working out for them.

Back