Which Santoku to pick

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like santokus, get a santoku. They can be great knives, if you do tip work with a petty/parer. To be honest, there are an awful lot of gyutos out that remind me more of a santoku than a gyuto.
However, if you a suggestion, here is mine:
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/new-products/63sun-stainless-fukugozai-wabocho-0
Carter doesn't make bad knives, in my experience and the shape is more gyuto-like than many santokus...the bestof both worlds for a santoku lover.

For me, while a santoku really isn't better than a gyuto performance-wise, there are times when the job is so small and it's just easier to grab my santoku. They are generally jobs that I could just use my nakiri for instead, but I'm anal about only using my nakiri on vegetable matter. If there's meat of some kind involved - even if it's just sausage or something - my brain switches gears and I have to grab something else. Sometimes that ends up being my santoku.

I wouldn't want to do serious prep with a santoku, but for something quick and easy I can be perfectly happy going for the santoku.

Guys... I'm new here and you want to know why? There is absolutely so much great information on this site. Just from this single thread I glean a lot of great information.

Thanks to all that input here. I hope to be able to contribute something worthwhile SOMEDAY. For now just learning and calculating just how much this new obsession is going to cost me.

The reason why there is so much great information here is that the members are enthusiasts first and foremost.

I don't understand this fight over santokus or whatever knife shape. In my opinion, it's only a matter of personal preference/style. If you work in a restaurant where volume is the most important thing, then probably a long gyuto will be more suitable. If the chef is the type of guy carrying a measuring tape to make sure every dice is exactly the same dimension, well, in that case I prefer shorter knife. Gyutos have pointed tips, but if I really need to do precision work, I'll just choose a shorter knife, and since I usually use slicing motions, a flatter shape is more suited for me; not that it's better or worse, it's just how I am comfortable.

I'd say, if one want to have only 1 knife in its case hoping it will fit every job, a 9-10 inches gyuto should probably be the first item on the list, but after that, it's too personal to argue, or it sounds more or less like "why on earth are you driving a honda civic? Everyone should drive a Ford F-150!"

Just for fun, you want to read another heresy? I even use a nakiri...quite often :eek2:

With all due respect! F.

Two different knives from JCK ( www.japanesechefsknife.com ) thay I think fall into your price range, and address the gyuto vs. santoku issue....either the Hiromoto G3, or the Hitomoto AS series. Both have very reasonably priced gyutos and santokus. The G3 is stainless 'silver paper' steel, while the AS series gives you stainless clad super blue steel - which will develop a kinda cool bluish patina with a little use. And if you choose the santoku, they have them in 190mm which addresses much of the size issue.

My take on the 'un-love' for the santoku is that it is much more directed at the commercialization of the shape and the size than much else. (we knife knuts 'un-love' Shun almost as much as santoku's) It is interesting that Murray Carters wa-bocho and Takedas (earlier) gyutos were very close to santoku shape, and people don't hate on them...

The people that think that everyone is against santokus or Shun or Moritaka are mostly those who own them and are suspicious of criticism, it seems to me. If you look closely I think that you will see that that all of the criticism of one shape or brand or what ever are based in individual taste or experience. Everyone is entitled to their taste and their experience. When someone expresses an opinion about something that you have invested yourself in don't take it personally!
Of course I could be wrong and there are many out there that just hate things for the sake of hating things.

The people that think that everyone is against santokus or Shun or Moritaka are mostly those who own them and are suspicious of criticism, it seems to me. If you look closely I think that you will see that that all of the criticism of one shape or brand or what ever are based in individual taste or experience. Everyone is entitled to their taste and their experience. When someone expresses an opinion about something that you have invested yourself in don't take it personally!
Of course I could be wrong and there are many out there that just hate things for the sake of hating things.

I don't know if its so much hate as it goes against the supposed common wisdom of the forum. At one time, when an inquiry was made about any knife, besides a gyuto, the standard reply was why do you want that knife? A gyuto will do everything that knife can do plus more. When asked, what more can a gyuto do? The reply usually was the gyuto has a tip. The next obvious question, why is a tip so important? The response has been, well if you have to ask, then you don't get it. My experience has been when a subject cannot be explained in plain English, then there is a lack of understanding. To be fair, the forum hasn't done this type of response in a while now.

At times there seems to be a lack of imagination by gyuto users that there might be better knives, for different jobs or situations.

Shun/Global are entry level knives, to fans of Japanese cutlery. They are not what many of us who would consider them as a second or third knife. Newbies must be struck, by the number of negative responses, when inquiring about these brands. It's also trendy to talk down about Shun.

Moritaka has a known problem. For lack of a better term it has been called a hole, which is a confusing term, when it comes to knives. It's disconcerting to an owner to find that their knife has a problem, and what happens to the knife, if it develops a hole? Does the whole knife become useless?

Most of us, are understanding when a person tries a knife, and finds out that they don't care for it. The issue I have is when a person starts talking down about a knife. If I've got the same knife and know from experience contradicts what is being said about the knife, then I'll question it. Sometimes the person has received a poorly made knife, which would piss me off. But if enough people are positive about the knife, then it might be worth it to give it another try.

The argument that is annoying, is when a person says a particular knife is over priced. That gets the attention of everybody. Who wants to get ripped off? The problem with the argument is that its almost impossible to prove the value of a knife. So its purely subjective to say a knife is over valued.

Jay

I don't understand this fight over santokus or whatever knife shape. In my opinion, it's only a matter of personal preference/style. If you work in a restaurant where volume is the most important thing, then probably a long gyuto will be more suitable. If the chef is the type of guy carrying a measuring tape to make sure every dice is exactly the same dimension, well, in that case I prefer shorter knife. Gyutos have pointed tips, but if I really need to do precision work, I'll just choose a shorter knife, and since I usually use slicing motions, a flatter shape is more suited for me; not that it's better or worse, it's just how I am comfortable.

I'd say, if one want to have only 1 knife in its case hoping it will fit every job, a 9-10 inches gyuto should probably be the first item on the list, but after that, it's too personal to argue, or it sounds more or less like "why on earth are you driving a honda civic? Everyone should drive a Ford F-150!"

Just for fun, you want to read another heresy? I even use a nakiri...quite often :eek2:

With all due respect! F.

I think part of the problem is anybody and everybody who makes knives makes a santoku and most of them suck. (kitchenaid, farberware, shun, cuisnart, calphalon, you get the picture) a proliferation of bad steel and bad design has soured alot of people on these knives. However, with that said there are some makers who make some good santokus, many of the better Japanese makers. Nobody here will begrudge you the use and ownership of Nakiris. They are actually quite popular here and many of the makers on this forum have made or are making nakiris for the members here. welcome

santoku is Japan version of chef's knife, gyuto is western/France chef's knife. if you go to Asian knife forum most people will tell u they prefer santoku! if u ask western knife forum most of member will said gyuto is better than santoku!! as I'm Asian living in US, I think santoku is more easy to use for normal average home cooker. most Japan family use sntoku for home cooking & santoku's wider blade is more similar to small Chinese vegetable cleaver used in Asia! on the other hand, if you have good cutting skill or professional cooker; the gyuto will perform much more useful than santoku! if you want knife in both world, choose 180mm/210mm extra wide gyuto like Takeda Gyuto, Konosuke Extra Tall HD Gyuto or ******** Addict 2.:my2cents:

thats not an accurate statement... santoku is a home style all-purpose knife while gyuto is a professional cooks all purpose knife. This statement can be backed up by numerous books on knives in japanese, through discussions with knife makers in japan, and through discussion with chefs in japan. That being said, santoku is a far more common knife in home kitchens than gyuto (you see a lot of nakiri too... and almost every household has a deba)

... santoku is a home style all-purpose knife while gyuto is a professional cooks all purpose knife..... .. That being said, santoku is a far more common knife in home kitchens than gyuto (you see a lot of nakiri too... and almost every household has a deba)

thanks for correction!! agree:lol2::plus1:

Back