which steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obtuse

Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd ever ask this ... My dad enjoys using his T-I Sabatier and I want to get him a nice steel for Christmas. He's currently using a zwilling 10" steel. I'm thinking something in the 12" range would be better for his 10" knife. I am looking at f.dick but I don't really know what the difference is between their lines.

Depending on what your budget is I've really enjoyed using fine ceramic or glass hones... though given the softer steel in the sab, any finely grooved, or polished steel would work well. In my experience, pro kitchens, and for me in general longer is better.

I'd go for glass. I love mine but it might not do well if you're not careful. It is glass, after all...

Never used a glass rod; the ceramic fine is really perfect for my T-I/Nogent Sabs, though. I suppose in theory they remove bits of metal (not much, but more than the glass rods). I can't see this mattering in any but a good way.

THose with experience with both could tell you more than I; I will say that a longer ceramic rod (if the knives are 10", then a 12" rod) makes sense. Those knives respond SO well to "steeling".... I'd be ok with moving toward a polished steel, or (I'm sure) a (more expensive) glass rod as well. But fear not the fine ceramic. Those knives won't keep a super-high polish anyway.

A couple of days ago I saw a glestain octagon steel made from ceramic, it seemed like the theory behind it makes sense. I am not recommending BTW but if I were to get one that would be it just out of curiosity and logic.

I love the way my 1200 grit ceramic honing rod performs on soft carbon steel. I suggest one of those...I think mine is from Hand American?

If your father is used to the aggressive edge a conventional steel leaves I'm not sure he will like the more polished result of steeling with a fine ceramic rod. Otherwise the black MAC (J2000) would be my suggestion.

I gave him a ceramic rod a year ago, it's a DMT DMCS2 (7 micron / 2200 mesh). It leaves a very coarse scratch pattern almost coarser than a Beston 500! If the MAC provides a different result I might be interested in that for him.

Idahone! That's who makes the one I use. It's great, and not remotely a polisher. It leaves a scratch pattern duller than my Shapton GS 500. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I made a knife from a machete blade(some cheapo crap carbon steel) and once the edge bevel was cut in, the steel is soft enough to be kept up solely with this thing, and it cuts pretty dang good. If people have Sabatiers, Wusthofs, Henckels, Chicago Cutlery, etc, and want improvement for less than $100, I suggest they just buy an Idahone rod and keep up with them on it, especially the easy-to-abrade carbon steels.

I've used alot of steels (steel, diamond, ceramic) over the years and the 3 that I currently have hanging on my wall are the HA glass, HA fine ceramic, and F.Dick polished oval.

As already mentioned by a couple above, the fine ceramic does not leave an obnoxious scratch pattern like some of the other ceramics. The only down side is that with lots of use on soft steels it does clog up and needs to be cleaned. Sometimes the availability (or lack there of) of Hand American products can be problematic. So FYI: believe that Dale from Edgepro sells the same rods. I got one from him to give to my sister and it was identical to my HA aside from handle color.

The HA borosilicate "glass" rod is really nice and a big favorite on here. However, cost and availability may be issues. A couple months ago there was another similar thread and Dave mentioned that you can fine borosilicate glass rods online front lab supply places for a few bucks and the its just an issue of scoring the surface using sand paper and attaching a handle.
What parrent doesn't like somthing made by their kid to hang on the fridge/wall?
You can try to struggle with this she's search feature or just talk to Dave.

Lastly, the F.Dick smooth oval or "Dick Polish" (as it says on the handle) is the newest in my collection. I original got it just b/c it was a great deal and I wanted a travel and "beater" steel that was less fragile than the HA glass. This thing has exceeded my expectations: built like anti-zombie ordinance and finished very nicely. It might not be as good as the glass for the really had stuff, but it feels really nice on soft carbon. The only issue might be giving your dad "Dick Polish" in front of the family.
I havn't used it, but HA does also make a smooth steel that does look as cool, but is very hard and about 1/2 the price of the FD at CKTG.

Hope this helps!

the Dick Polish might be fun :D who doesn't like receiving a Dick Polish for Christmas.

Idahone! That's who makes the one I use. It's great, and not remotely a polisher. It leaves a scratch pattern duller than my Shapton GS 500. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I made a knife from a machete blade(some cheapo crap carbon steel) and once the edge bevel was cut in, the steel is soft enough to be kept up solely with this thing, and it cuts pretty dang good. If people have Sabatiers, Wusthofs, Henckels, Chicago Cutlery, etc, and want improvement for less than $100, I suggest they just buy an Idahone rod and keep up with them on it, especially the easy-to-abrade carbon steels.

Yeah Idahone! That's the name both HA/CKTG and edgrpro sell it. I total agree w/ your comments: great choice for people w/ softer steel who don't want alot of sharpening gear.

Also, it sounds like someone has been holding out on pictures of his McGuyvered hatchet-blade knife... we need to see the...er... scratch pattern from the hone...yeah, thats it...

the Dick Polish might be fun :D who doesn't like receiving a Dick Polish for Christmas.
I get a few chuckles from my Dick Polish, lol. I like it but it is too smooth to do anything other than realigning. I find that I use it less and less. Still a nice steel. Just don't expect it to liven up an edge. It just coaxes what's left of your edge back to true.

Also, it sounds like someone has been holding out on pictures of his McGuyvered hatchet-blade knife... we need to see the...er... scratch pattern from the hone...yeah, thats it...

LOL it DOES have a camo handle, but no. It's overground and has 60 grit belt scuffs in it. It's somewhat embarrassing!

Back