Which Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs

Reaction score
Was going to buy a D Thomas 270 sujihiki to go with my 240 ITK but the price increase has me looking elsewhere. Interested in a 270 stainless with a Wa handle. Prefer an even bevel as my wife is left handed. Considering Konosuke, Suisin Inox and Gesshin Ginga. Any thoughts?

I've only used the Kon suji but based on visual inspection of all three, all of those are going be similar in grind which is somewhat right handed but I don't know how noticeable that is on a suji. The bevels are all right handed but very small so you won't notice them much if at all. I have used all three steels. If you like sharp, I'd go with the Kon or Gesshin, Kon being softer and tougher and the Gesshin being harder and probably less tough (although I haven't damaged either to find out). The Suisin generally benefits from a microbevel so you lose a little on the sharpness and the stock handle is larger, if that matters to you. I don't know what I'd pick. It's a wash, in my mind.

I have a Suisin Inox 210 petty and a 270 Konosuke HD, and I really like both of these knives very much; but for the most part, it is pretty much a toss up. That being said, KonoHD with ebony handle is what I would choose if in your position.

I'm not a big fan of stainless for sujis, so I'd push you to explore at least the semi stainless Kono HD... Are you against the notion of carbon?

I'd talk to Pierre Rodrigue. His price for a suji in monosteel is very reasonable.

Thanks guys. Kono the least expensive so this leaves cash for stones.

I have the kono and love it. It's a great knife all around and I find it pretty durable despite its delicate girlish figure.

Back