Which Y. Tanaka to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
Im really considering getting a Yoshikazu Tanaka 210mm gyuto to replace my Konosuke HD2 210 mm. I have been looking at the blue dama steel one from JNS which looks nice. But there are several other options. Which one would you choose for best fit and finish and performance? Except a Fujiyama FM which I cant seem to find at all and not in 210mm. Steel type and cladding doesn't really matter as I think Tanaka masters them all rather good.

What are my options?

Thanks.

If I’m only getting one, I’d say steel does matter and I’m going with the blue. Preferred heel height plays a factor aswell. I think if you’re buying tall, I’d go the Dama or kono. If you’re open to shorter, than hitohira and takada no hamono are options aswell. But honestly, you really can’t go wrong with him

If your into Blue steel make sure its blue super. Arms and shoulders above any of the other variations in my experience.

Reactions: JDC
If you are buying blue super, just buy R2/SG2. Notably longer edge retention and just a hair less sharp.
Like you said a hair less sharp. Doesn't discolor, which is why blue super is cool. I have cut my fingers with really sharp knives twice that I remember fondly, one was blue super and the other was the unknown A type from aritsugu steel. Didn't feel a thing. Besides the resistance to abrasion is a real pain.

Like you said a hair less sharp. Doesn't discolor, which is why blue super is cool. I have cut my fingers with really sharp knives twice that I remember fondly, one was blue super and the other was the unknown A type from aritsugu steel. Didn't feel a thing. Besides the resistance to abrasion is a real pain.
Well, guess it doesn’t matter which steel cut you, what matters is you don’t do that too often lol. Yeah they need more laps when sharpening, but this is no problem at all compared to polishing.

Well, guess it doesn’t matter which steel cut you, what matters is you don’t do that too often lol. Yeah they need more laps when sharpening, but this is no problem at all compared to polishing.
I would suggest for non pro's something that they sharpen more often and get to know better. When I started with the knife bug at least 15 years ago in the epoch of knife forums, I bought a really cheap knife like 10 dllrs cheap.... and messed around with it. Knives are so personal that getting a super hard steel knife, is in my opinion a bad idea. Get something in the regular steels, sharpen, shape and see what you like. I still sharpen REALLY OLD SCHOOL, hamaguri, right handed weird Rael dragon style. I cut everything like butter for like a day if I'm lucky. I like blue super, AEBL or the swedish eq, and white steel in a fine grain structure version. I don't like VG10 or any of the other variations like sg2. I like the 52100 from kramer knives in the henckels version and the FC henckels version of AEBL. I like messing with other steels too, but those are my go to.

I typed half this message - the pertinent link part to another current Y Tanaka thread with plenty of recent recommendations here - before being distracted by some pressing Lego emergency on behalf of the 6 year old.

At some point inbetween this thread also seems to have taken a slightly weird diversion, so excuse me some slight awkwardness as I try to seamlessly segue the strands back together, bushy ‘tached anchorman style:
‘HEY, I like Y Tanaka‘s fine HT of both Blue and White steels, and I hear that there’s now a kikumori blue super Tanaka option on the table. But SG2 and Y Tanaka? I am not convinced that they exist, nor that there is any need’

not sure y tanaka operates in sg2 etc. And it seems rare that he does AS though cooksedge has one that looks intriguing. @Knivperson fwiw I have tanaka in blues and whites and I would say I prefer blue. Just my preference.
I like white best, but blue super comes in almost first place. This is only when it comes to fast oxidizing steels. Perfect combo, White for fine cutting, blue super for veggies and butchering and AEBL or Swedish stainless for acidic foods.

Any links where they sell y tanaka except for knifewear and JNS? How is blue with onions? Any bi taste? Better than White 1?

I never see yoshikazu tanaka R2, only white & blue. I was curious where to get his R2 as well.

To the original question. His knives run from lighter and more laser like the JNS snd takada ones which also tend to be at the upper end of the price spectrum. Migoto from Aussieland seems also in this mold, thought I don’t have one. As do almost all the Hirohira versions (Yohei etc ). To more middle weight thicker spines from OUL, Miura and Sugi cutlery. The cooks edge has one in blue super which I just ordered that seems to be beefier, taller, but it hasn’t arrived. Like 95% of his output is in W1, 2, B1,2. This Blue super seems a unicorn which is why I bought it. Another forum member mentioned that you can get a Y Tanaka to your specs via strata. If you are feeling cheap, and just want to dip your feet in the water, these Y Tanakas from Miura are a bloody steal on sale.

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...apanese-knife-miura-knives.html#/34-size-21cm
The price is like 1/3 what you will pay for JNS or a Takada suiboku. I don’t have this gyuto only a 150 petty from the same line, and I would say it’s what I use about 40% of the time in the kitchen. It’s a joy to sharpen, razor sharp and you won’t shed tears if you bang it or chip it.

But if you want super f&f and something that is close to the Fujiyama then the migoto or Takada suiboku is prob your best bet. You also might want to reach out to Bernal or Strata to get their take on best replica form the Fujiyama.

Hitohira Tanaka x Yohei in blue 1 would be my pick for the finest in the bunch, but mostly because the higher end Hitohira handles are really something.

I have the JNS damascus blue 1 it's nice but quite small/light for a 240 even with an ebony rehandle and barely bigger than my Hinoura 210.

but my preferences definitely lean towards convex and I dont know if he works with a wide bevel sharpener who is sending knives out like that. if he does, ok that'd probably win.

as far as steel goes yeah I dunno AS is too alloyed for me personally would rather just stick with white 1/2 or blue 1/2. if I want an alloyed steel r2 is acceptable for sure.

To the original question. His knives run from lighter and more laser like the JNS snd takada ones which also tend to be at the upper end of the price spectrum. Migoto from Aussieland seems also in this mold, thought I don’t have one. As do almost all the Hirohira versions (Yohei etc ). To more middle weight thicker spines from OUL, Miura and Sugi cutlery. The cooks edge has one in blue super which I just ordered that seems to be beefier, taller, but it hasn’t arrived. Like 95% of his output is in W1, 2, B1,2. This Blue super seems a unicorn which is why I bought it. Another forum member mentioned that you can get a Y Tanaka to your specs via strata. If you are feeling cheap, and just want to dip your feet in the water, these Y Tanakas from Miura are a bloody steal on sale.

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...apanese-knife-miura-knives.html#/34-size-21cm
The price is like 1/3 what you will pay for JNS or a Takada suiboku. I don’t have this gyuto only a 150 petty from the same line, and I would say it’s what I use about 40% of the time in the kitchen. It’s a joy to sharpen, razor sharp and you won’t shed tears if you bang it or chip it.
Thanks, you just cost me 185 euros... :confused:
The summersale discount code applies to it too. Crazy deal!

I’m curious to hear if that AS Tanka is worth 700+. That’s crazy expensive

Dude you should be getting a kickback. I just pulled the trigger on a 240 too.

Hitohira Tanaka x Yohei in blue 1 would be my pick for the finest in the bunch, but mostly because the higher end Hitohira handles are really something.

I have the JNS damascus blue 1 it's nice but quite small/light for a 240 even with an ebony rehandle and barely bigger than my Hinoura 210.

These are the two I’ve been eyeing for a while. One or the other will probably land on my board eventually. The weight looks quite light for both - how would you characterize them in-hand and cutting performance?

These are the two I’ve been eyeing for a while. One or the other will probably land on my board eventually. The weight looks quite light for both - how would you characterize them in-hand and cutting performance?

I dont have a Yohei, that's just the one I would buy.

the JNS knife is very thin with some convexity. it's not very authorative so if you like smashing a big heavy knife into your board (which, I mean personally I do lol) it's not the right knife. if you want a 220mm you can just cut and cut and cut and cut with then it might be the ticket. I dont work in a kitchen so for me even a bigger weekend type job is only going to result in me cutting for a short enough period of time Id rather just have some tank like a Mazaki, my Tsourkan workhorse or especially a Shi.Han, etc.

basically it's a stiffer laser with better food release. you give up a fractional amount of that thinness but get a LOT in return. great knife and worth the money especially because they really are beautiful.

Latest posts

Back