Which Y. Tanaka to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of Y Tanakas I still have never touched. I have 8 now. Kyuzu, FMs from myojin & his predecessor, the Aussie migoto, kikumori and some of new custom odd ones from Strata. But to be honest the 240 Yohei I have and the Takada 210 are so damn good, I am not is a huge rush to complete the collection. I think the OUL line which is thicker at the spine runs a close second. Maybe when I get hungry to buy again. If I want something beefier for meat I pull out the Denka. Sometimes the Wat Nakiri. But the Yohei and Tanaka always make me want just cut some veggies.
Is that takada Suiboko?

I asked Evan from Strata who sharpened the Sakai Kikumori Blue #1 damascus by Y. Tanaka, which I ended up buying. He replied the following:

"I do know who the sharpener is, but I unfortunately cannot disclose who it is per request of the craftsman and Kikumori. My apologies. Just know that they are very well respected, enough so in order to sharpen some of Tanaka's highest line. Perhaps Kikumori will disclose their name in the future."

I've asked a few retailers myself as I own the wide bevel version, and the response I got was the same. The only additional piece of information that might be useful is that this sharpener is properly retired, so I think that rules out Morihiro, Myojin, Nomura, Takada, Kyuzo.

I've asked a few retailers myself as I own the wide bevel version, and the response I got was the same. The only additional piece of information that might be useful is that this sharpener is properly retired, so I think that rules out Morihiro, Myojin, Nomura, Takada, Kyuzo.
And laves who? Mine has got a polished angled choil.

I can confirm this through my past interactions with Tsubaya and Takada's instagram account

Bernal lists the TNH Reika Gyuto in White 1 as Tanaka blacksmith but sharpened by Mitsuaki Takada. So you are saying Mitsuaki Takada is actually Yohei?

Mia that not taking the Sakai identify cloak and dagger a bit too far?

unless, Yohei’s “nom de guerre” is Mitsuaki Takada

Bernal lists the TNH Reika Gyuto in White 1 as Tanaka blacksmith but sharpened by Mitsuaki Takada. So you are saying Mitsuaki Takada is actually Yohei?

Mia that not taking the Sakai identify cloak and dagger a bit too far?

unless, Yohei’s “nom de guerre” is Mitsuaki Takada

yup. as far as I know they are the same person ! The reika cuts similar to the yohei b2. I have both in 240. I think the reika heel height is just a few mm higher.

I asked Evan from Strata who sharpened the Sakai Kikumori Blue #1 damascus by Y. Tanaka, which I ended up buying. He replied the following:

"I do know who the sharpener is, but I unfortunately cannot disclose who it is per request of the craftsman and Kikumori. My apologies. Just know that they are very well respected, enough so in order to sharpen some of Tanaka's highest line. Perhaps Kikumori will disclose their name in the future."
That's sharpened by Myojin.

even though if you know Kyuzo's real name, I don't think you will find a lot of his personal knife brand.

That's sharpened by Myojin.

even though if you know Kyuzo's real name, I don't think you will find a lot of his personal knife brand.
How do you know? What i pleasant surprise. So it's basically a fuji FM with damascus

How do you know? What i pleasant surprise. So it's basically a fuji FM with damascus
Every Craftsman has their own signature. it takes a while to see their signature though.
It is similar, but it's not finished in-house by Konosuke. Fujiyama is finished in-house by Ivan but only to some extent.

I feel like this knife has been around longer than myojin has been a sharpener lol. While I don’t know for sure, I too would be pleasantly surprised if this were the case.

I doubt that the sharpener for the sakai kikumori blue #1 damascus was myojin. The one that I suspect the most is Shotaro Nomura. The cutting feel of this knife most closely resembles that of my other tanaka/nomura gyutos.

I doubt that the sharpener for the sakai kikumori blue #1 damascus was myojin. The one that I suspect the most is Shotaro Nomura. The cutting feel of this knife most closely resembles that of my other tanaka/nomura gyutos.
There are 2 Types Blue 1damascus. The Wide bevel is Nomura, the convex is Myojin.

I think this FM looks pretty similar to the Kikumori B1 Dama - same polish to the choil, same level of exposed core steel:

https://images.yswcdn.com/-67098781...e-fujiyama-white-1-damascus-gyuto-240mm-9.png

what other lines are sharpened by nomura?

Back