Who are reputable sharpeners now?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Dave temporarily not sharpening, who are the reputable folks for knife spa days? I have used Murray Carter with good luck, but he's not for everyone.
Who else is reputable for more than a few passes on stones?

With Dave temporarily not sharpening, who are the reputable folks for knife spa days? I have used Murray Carter with good luck, but he's not for everyone.
Who else is reputable for more than a few passes on stones?
Jon from JKI? not sure is he doing sharpening now or not, you can send him an email.

Well, to admit a sin.... After searching a little online, I sent my Harner cleaver to Knife*** for what was supposed to be a spa day. They changed the edge geometry(!) I reached out to Butch and he's agreed to fix it, but sending every knife back to their maker for spa days is tedious and expensive. I was hoping I could find someone (like Dave) who you could trust to perform spa day treatments on any knife you sent. That was my reason for starting the thread. I can go through a normal progression and get my knives sharp, but after years of service they need more than that.
Cleaver.png

I will second @Runner_up aka a_cut_above_brookline on IG. Last week when I chatted with him, he was booked for 2 weeks.

You mean they put a hole in the edge? Is that what you’re showing? Wow, that’s pretty bad. If that’s the standard you are trying to beat, they are probably lots of options. E.g. all the usual US knife stores like JKI, Carbon, Strata, Bernal, Korin, or @crockerculinary, or @Runner_up.
Yeah, there are two points that touch the board with a cut back between them. And I'm bookmarking this page so I can find these names next time.

Reactions: ian
Where are you located? Did I miss that? I keep meaning to put together a list of reputable sharpeners. One day I will have the time, and should probably enlist kkf to help with it. More and more local shops and sharpeners are popping up all over the place and it would be good to have a directory of people who know what they’re doing and won’t **** up your knives.

Seattle Edge is very capable, and Albert is a really nice guy. Only game in town really now that Bob Tate got sick of break ins and ****ed off to Montana. He’s doing so well he’s expanding his shop and moving next to the Nordic museum in the same neighborhood the park they Deadliest Catch boats. Very cool.

Last edited:
Well, to admit a sin.... After searching a little online, I sent my Harner cleaver to Knife*** for what was supposed to be a spa day. They changed the edge geometry(!) I reached out to Butch and he's agreed to fix it, but sending every knife back to their maker for spa days is tedious and expensive. I was hoping I could find someone (like Dave) who you could trust to perform spa day treatments on any knife you sent. That was my reason for starting the thread. I can go through a normal progression and get my knives sharp, but after years of service they need more than that.
View attachment 161980

I can barely imagine how they've done this! I'd have to consciously try quite hard in order to balls up a cleaver profile in that way.

Back