Who is the greatest Japanese blacksmith of our time still producing knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH I think you might be right @ian. I’m more concerned about finding one with the right thinness and symmetry.
Fingers crossed that I don’t have to attempt an exchange.

Reactions: ian
I guess people like kurouchi because it protects the knife against rust, keeping the knife looking as close to OOTB as possible for a long time.

Easier solution: just make the knife covered in rust in box!

Might be stores storing that caused the rust, but who posts pictures like this for the products you try to sell..

Or maybe it came from the TF like that :eek:

ipwGH81.jpg

qYcJuDH

Might be stores storing that caused the rust, but who posts pictures like this for the products you try to sell..

Or maybe it came from the TF like that :eek:

ipwGH81.jpg

qYcJuDH
Well if it’s an accurate representation of the inventory I applaud them for being honest and up front about it. As long as there’s no bending or warping of the blade or “holes in the edge” I would pull the trigger and improve the blade road.

I know Munetoshi has amazing heat treatment of white steel, can someone compare Munetoshi and TF?
Munetoshi heat treat is really really good. It definitely stands out from the majority of shirogami I’ve sharpened. Never tried the Honyaki though.
Plenty of high hardness stuff out there, hell the Heiji carbon I have arriving soon costs $200 less than TF Mab and I like it more.

Last edited:
I am a little embarrassed to say this but when I purchased my 5 Denkas, I did not even know what a "grind" was never less an over grind. What I do know is that all 5 Denkas will overall outperformed every knife I had ever used including my Shig, my colleague's Shig, my RiverJump, Takeda, Zero, Koishi, and Keguara. I am so inexperienced to this culture that I do not even notice the the fit and finish. Prior to starting this thread I believed TF to be the greatest blacksmith of our time. From the feedback I have received and my own reading of other treads, the question was perhaps ill conceived and the answer is a lot more complex than what I originally thought. I am slowly learning that like all things worth knowing, the more you know, the more you know how much you don't know.

I think in your naivete you are lumping Japanese knife making into one culture, when in fact the knife making culture is different from one region to the next. In some regions, work is done in house in as you say a Master/apprentice relationship. In other regions, Sakai being the most common example, there are Master Smiths, Master Grinder/Sharpeners, even Master Handle makers(I may have made that last one up. Many people have tried to convey to you, that you do not essentially see the work of the smith. In the case of those wonderful knives from Sakai: Konosuke, Doi, Shirakai, Ikeda, etc, what you see, is the work and craftsmanship of the Master Grinder/sharpener. It is these individuals that are largely unsung even on the page of KKF.
Yea the Sakai smiths who do only the blade are amazing, Shiraki Hamono, Tanaka are two of my favs

What I gathers so far is that LeBron san is the greatest Japanse smith, only super-seeded by Jordan Hamono but the latter ceased the operations - so he out of the running.
Intresting!

Well based on a sample size of two I have to say Kiyoshi Kato. I've own and tried T-F, Shig, Toyama,Kagekiyo, Watanabe, Kono Fujiyama, Mazaki but I still come back to my Kato!

Back