Who makes the best honyaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a pretty big oversight by JCK. Can't give the wronghanded hope like that.

Kinda surprised not to see anyone mention Evan yet- I have a very fine honyaki by him that was well under 1k- a great value for the knife imo. Killer performer too, and much thinner than I’ve seen ootb from a lot of Japanese honyaki... that is except for my ashi of corse[emoji12].

Last edited:
Food release on a scale of 1-glestain?

It is definitely good, but how good I don't yet know, need to test more. My standard is @Kippington workpony honyaki that has amazing food release. I am not sure what is wrong with that knife there are two possibilities, ether it has some special Australian nanocoating that has matter repealing properties or kipp dosed the handle in some sort of hallucinogen that makes me think it has great food release.

Thats a pretty big oversight by JCK. Can't give the wronghanded hope like that.

I think when he says 50/50 he means the edge was sharpened 50/50 but the grind can be anything.

Toyama honyaki is my "unicorn".
Mine is unicorn-er. It was polished by the polishing god Lee :)
4B636B26-90AB-4F8A-960A-470EAD323A76.jpeg
34EA974B-DAE2-4B84-9A2D-88AEC004C874.jpeg
666AA152-337D-417A-AB6E-2E9AB410BB74.jpeg

Attachments

• 284A046D-D9F9-4A0E-864B-0CB7D6139568.jpeg
    284A046D-D9F9-4A0E-864B-0CB7D6139568.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
So I was reading up a little on Toyama after seeing your gorgeous honyaki, and it made me realize no one's mentioned Watanabe yet. Is he not as popular anymore? Is Toyama still making knives? I assumed he would be selling on Watanabe's site, but I don't seem to see anything made by him.
You will only find Toyama on JNS and Watanabe only on his own commercial site as well as a few vendors.

To my knowledge both have stopped making honyakis. So Toyama, Watanabe, Toyanabe, Watayama, whatever, it doesn’t matter anymore now.

You will only find Toyama on JNS and Watanabe only on his own commercial site as well as a few vendors.

To my knowledge both have stopped making honyakis. So Toyama, Watanabe, Toyanabe, Watayama, whatever, it doesn’t matter anymore now.

Ohh I see, thanks for the info. Assuming a Watanabe or Toyama honyaki pops up secondhand on BST or something though, how are their honyakis generally regarded?

Ohh I see, thanks for the info. Assuming a Watanabe or Toyama honyaki pops up secondhand on BST or something though, how are their honyakis generally regarded?
If you've used a regular Toyanabe before, you'll know its highly regarded by most people. I can't speak enough for it, I love mine and will never give it up.

I would add that while Watanabe has apparently stopped making honyaki for custom orders, he does occasionally seem to produce a one or two for sale in the Special section of his website. Mind you, they have a hefty price tag.

I would add that while Watanabe has apparently stopped making honyaki for custom orders, he does occasionally seem to produce a one or two for sale in the Special section of his website. Mind you, they have a hefty price tag.

Toyama does the same thing, and both started doing stainless clad at the same time.

Toyama does the same thing, and both started doing stainless clad at the same time.

So basically keep a close watch on JNS and hope for a Toyama honyaki to appear? Especially since it seems like the window of opportunity to get one is dwindling as Toyama ages, while Watanabe is still pretty young.

So basically keep a close watch on JNS and hope for a Toyama honyaki to appear? Especially since it seems like the window of opportunity to get one is dwindling as Toyama ages, while Watanabe is still pretty young.

Shinichi at Watanabe is making me a 180mm Pro Nariki (my second this one is for my granddaughter) and I'll ask him about getting a Honyaki when he emails me about the shipping date. Has anybody had any experience with his Honyaki knives?

I had a Watanabe Honyaki. It was a really nice knife. Mirror polish hid the hamon which was boxy and pretty basic, not the super sexy highly contrasted style you often see. Really nice profile and grind. Great cutter.

You can see a couple pics here:

Chuckles Knives

I had a Watanabe Honyaki. It was a really nice knife. Mirror polish hid the hamon which was boxy and pretty basic, not the super sexy highly contrasted style you often see. Really nice profile and grind. Great cutter.

You can see a couple pics here:

Chuckles Knives

Absolutely beautiful. Did you get rid of it? If so, why, if you don't mind me asking?

I did move it along. If I remember I bought it to combine shipping along with a Rader I bought from the same forum member in Australia. It was a binge buying period followed by slow weening. Pretty typical pattern for me.

Back