Who makes the best Japanese knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco-otto

Reaction score
Hi guys - I’m sure this is a discussion that comes up often, and I know that aesthetics and quality are both subjective but I was hoping to get some guidance on which Japanese knife brands are generally considered to be the most revered / carry cult status in the knife community.

Appreciate your comments in advance.

On here, Shigefusa and Kiyoshi Kato have inspired cults, whether justified or not. Some other knife makers or shops of note: Shiraki, Ikeda, Toyama, Watanabe, Yoshikazu Tanaka, Ashi, Yoshikane.
Great, thanks for this Ian. I’ll have plenty of reading to do over the weekend

Very subjective question... Ian gave a great start.
I’d add:
Konosuke (with many of the highly regarded Fujiyamas made by Yoshikazu Tanaka, already mentioned)
Takeda, with some caveats, but they have their following
Teruyasu Fujiwara, also with caveats, but the good ones shine
Shigeki Tanaka—Ginsanko and blue #2 outstanding values, R2 great performers
Takamura—Uchigumo is an amazing knife, Hana and migaki also worthy of consideration

TFTFTFTFTF

Just kidding. Not that TF is bad, but certainly has a cult following of sort.

You can certainly learn a lot about Japanese knives and makers from members much more knowledgeable than I around here. Another route is to work with a vendor who is trustworthy and can steer you in the right direction like @JBroida at Japanese Knife Imports.

Few others:
Murray Carter
Heiji
Sakai Yusuke
Richmond - hahaha no, not that one.

Also being popular or having cult status does not mean its either the best or will suite your needs.

This guy for me is one of the best now :)

1587734021397.jpeg

Others who are great include Toyama, Tanaka Yoshikazu, Tsukasa Hinoura.

Pretty split with Kato as I don't find mine that special.

Who makes the best is sort of an odd question.
In japan there are Forgers, Grinder/sharpener, "brands", and retailers.
Each typically work as independents teaming up for various versions.

All the makers/ brands listed are reputable. Keep in mind most brands/makers have produced a poor knife at some point, at almost all have learnt what to make for the western market. Stick to what you can find at reputable retail store that has their website in english. I've and i suspect most have had bad luck searching too deep in the internet for cheaper versions of makers/sharpeners/brands from unknown retailers.

I would like to add mizuno if your particularly experienced with carbon blades. Sukenari if you want stainless.

While Shigefusa and Kiyoshi Kato are in my opinion great knife makers, good luck finding their products as Kiyoshi Kato is getting close to retirement and the Shigefusa while there are two sone the father is slowing down and products don't show up too often. The Konosuke Fujiyama series is very good along with the other makers mentioned.

Or Togashi forged/Tosa sharpener. Never handled one but hear they are not to be sniffed at.

While Shigefusa and Kiyoshi Kato are in my opinion great knife makers, good luck finding their products as Kiyoshi Kato is getting close to retirement and the Shigefusa while there are two sone the father is slowing down and products don't show up too often. The Konosuke Fujiyama series is very good along with the other makers mentioned.
Curious, who else is nearing retirement or is just dangerously old?

Also - anyone know what an Asai goes for nowadays? I'm guessing a premium...

The guys who come to mind are Kato Kiyoshi and Ashi Hiroshi. The latter is still the one making Honyaki but not sure for how much longer. Some question marks around Shiraki

Ashi Hiroshi is the name of the owner of Ashi Hamono. He is still making the Ashi Honyaki although they are very hard to find now. He is just fulfilling existing orders that have been on the books for a while and hasn't taken new orders in over 5 years. Once he retires I doubt there will be any more produced.

Ashi Hiroshi is the name of the owner of Ashi Hamono. He is still making the Ashi Honyaki although they are very hard to find now. He is just fulfilling existing orders that have been on the books for a while and hasn't taken new orders in over 5 years. Once he retires I doubt there will be any more produced.

Thank you - I guess I won't have to look for one of his Honyaki Gyuto's then. I feel like I got into these great knives about 5 years too late for some of the Masters products.

Hi guys - I’m sure this is a discussion that comes up often, and I know that aesthetics and quality are both subjective but I was hoping to get some guidance on which Japanese knife brands are generally considered to be the most revered / carry cult status in the knife community.

Appreciate your comments in advance.
What type of Japanese knife are you looking to buy?

Ikeda Yoshikazu is freakin good. I have his magaki white #2 gyuto 240 mm. When I cut 4-5 sushi rolls at a time, the rolls stay perfectly in line after they have been cut. And this is me using fast single swipes. I also have a Miura white #2 double beveled gyuto 240 mm made by Tanaka Yoshikazu. The performance of this knife is about the same as Ikeda's. And I have a 240 mm aogami super kurouchi gyuto by Mutsumi Hinoura. It is the best aogami super I have used. Rivals Tanaka's white #2. And all of these whoops the Masamoto KS in terms of performance.

As someone who enjoys kitchen knives but has nowhere near the level of knowledge that is common on this forum, it seems a lot of the highest end knife making occurs by individual bladesmiths and small families versus knifes that are produced on a larger scale like anything most consumers in the US know about (aka Shun, Wusthoff, Global, etc. - I know not all of those are Japanese makers).

Back