Who's your favorite Western knife maker?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Gjackson98, Nov 29, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2018 #31

Ruso

Ruso

Ruso

This was a secret!!! What did you do! o_O

XooMG likes this.
  2. Dec 1, 2018 #32

ecchef

ecchef

ecchef

Staff Member Founding Member

From my own limited inventory:
    Sujihiki - Martell
    Gyuto - Tsourkan
    Petty - Catcheside
    Paring- Harner

Dave Martell likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2018 #33

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Yep.

Also, forgot Harner really liked his grind, need to try his knife with WA handle one day.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. Dec 1, 2018 #34

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Any impressions of the Shi-Han?

5. Dec 1, 2018 #35

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Of all the Shi-Han I’ve held, I’d classify them closer to traditional Japanese before ‘western’ custom makers. Amazing knives but at a glance you’d swear they came out of a Japanese forge.

6. Dec 1, 2018 #36

mack

mack

mack

I do own

2 kamons
    2 xerxes
    1 dalman
    2 schanz

All better than my japanese knives.

Mack.

7. Dec 1, 2018 #37

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

I want to reserve final judgement until I use it more. My preliminary impressions are positive. Fit and finish is excellent. The knife cuts very well, partially due to the weight and blade forward balance and partially due to being thin behind the edge. The balance is very blade forward around where the steel type is marked A2 in my case. I think I would want the balance a bit closer to the handle, so might rehandle it with a heavier handle. It feels very powerful with the balance where it is now. The tip is pretty high, different from my other knives so I am getting used to it. The knife came very sharp and the edge is durable so far, but I haven’t used it enough. The steel hasn’t been reactive so far, but again not enough use.

Jville likes this.
  8. Dec 1, 2018 #38

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

From my limited inventory:

Dalman - I got a couple and he might be my favorite maker overall, super nice guy to boot. Always a plus in my book ...

Catcheside - LOVE his forged knives. SHG ones are supposed to be rad, but never tried one. I think the handle upgrades are too expensive

Kamon - I think one of the up and comers in Europe. I love the Denty i got from him, second one is in the mail.

LaSeur - maybe the best fit and finish I've ever seen, on par with Haburn and Xerxes Knives. And you get a lot of bang for your buck

Haburn - F&F is top notch, my first ever custom one something that I'll probably never let go off. Prices are up there these days though

Billipp - Absolute Legend. I know some people think it's hype, but some people also think it's ok to root for the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys

CJA - I always hated the handles until I used one ... I can't believe they are so comfy. Absolute dream!

Prendergrast - Great guy, typical Brit (watch out for that humor ... i mean: humour!). I bought the competition knife from the West Coast blind cutting competition and it recently has become my go to knife for small tasks, shallots, garlic and the likes ...

Xerxes - I don't think there is another maker out there that is that versatile. If you want a true custom, that also cuts like sh** and with impeccable F&F, he's your man. I have not seen a variety of customs like he does, and he pulls them all off. Insane stuff.

Marko - I think you can get a lot of bang for your buck with his knives. One of the more talented makers out there.

Metalmonkey - Up and coming maker from Australia ... look him up, won best kitchen knife at Sydney Knife show.

Raquin - probably the only guy you can get SC145 knives from. Burn Oak some of the most comfortable handles out there. ...

Tilman - I think his knives were an insider tip here for some time, seems to be off the radar somewhat. Which is kinda stupid ...

Harner - why would you buy any other paring knife? It's the paring knife to get, period!

Hazenberg - another somewhat odd looking handle, yet sooo comfortable.... I have one of his older knives, love the new stuff he's cranking out ...

9. Dec 2, 2018 #39

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

in the midst of all this western love, i kind of just want to ditch it all (but keep my heiji) and go back to trusty old KS and get a custom length mizuno honyaki.. all old skool japanese yo!!

minibatataman likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2018 #40

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Old Hickory. I got the pointy stabber. Carbon steel, best darn can opener you can have when you can't find your regular can opener tool.

It's funny how old comedies would make fun of hobos with a can of beans begging passer byes for a can open when the same hobo would have a knife on him

11. Dec 2, 2018 #41

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

I also started out with J-knives ...

There are a couple of reasons why I gravitated towards Western knives recently ...

Mostly it's about customization. If you want a custom, there is very little that J-makers will do (for you). Very few you can communicate with directly (Watanabe the excellent exception) and even if you can, they mostly stay with what they know in terms of steel, handles etc.

I also feel most J-makers are not really pushing the boundaries. They are steeped in tradition, which is appealing ... or a turn off, if you want something different. It's the same steels, same handles, same materials in more or less 3 variations. I know I am generalizing here, but I do that to make a point. There are exceptions and some makers try new and different stuff, but IMHO all the new(ish) twists and ideas came from Western makers (recently).

Examples?

Handle-Designs by Hazenberg and CJA

Grinds from Robin, Xerxes etc (especially hollow, s grind and all that stuff). I might've missed J-makers doing this, but it's my perception this is all coming from Western makers.

Last but not least (for me at least): When I am getting a custom, I LOVE the process of dealing with a maker and communicating directly, being involved in the process. You just don't get that with J-makers. So that part of the appeal is completely lost. That's the reason Dalmans might be my favourite knives, not just because they're great cutters, but because Robin is a great guy, easy to talk to and one of the best at communicating with you during the process...

Matus, gcsquared and tgfencer like this.
  12. Dec 2, 2018 #42

Unique98

Unique98

Unique98

These are quite a collection!

13. Dec 2, 2018 #43

Unique98

Unique98

Unique98

That’s probably a good idea Jackson. Now you made me think of trying a blade from Kippington who you recommended to me.

14. Dec 2, 2018 #44

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Lol I have two kipp on order, once I receive them I am planning on doing a little review

Unique98 likes this.
  15. Dec 3, 2018 #45

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Funny how people will appeal to Western makers do to customization options and pushing the boundaries, but if you offer them a peanut butter milk stout they scream sacrilege

alterwisser and Jville like this.
  16. Dec 4, 2018 #46

brainsausage

brainsausage

brainsausage

I live in beer mecca. The only thing people scoff at around here is ****** beer. Had a milkshake IPA yesterday that was deeeeeeee-licious.

17. Dec 4, 2018 #47

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Where is this beer Mecca you speak of? Sounds like a good place for a vacation.

brainsausage likes this.
  18. Dec 4, 2018 #48

brainsausage

brainsausage

brainsausage

Our state nickname is Vacationland. And that’s the only hint you get.

19. Dec 4, 2018 #49

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

'Nuf said ;). From one beer mecca dweller to another, I support your milkshake IPA habit.

20. Dec 4, 2018 #50

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

it's cold af over there, why i moved away :D
    but if you visit, brainsausage will hook you up with some nice BBQ and talk you to death about knives.

brainsausage and tgfencer like this.
  21. Dec 4, 2018 #51

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Funnily enough, just last night I was telling my wife I wanted to visit sometime, and I don't mind the cold. :)

brainsausage likes this.
  22. Dec 4, 2018 #52

brainsausage

brainsausage

brainsausage

All of this is true.

23. Dec 4, 2018 #53

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

Oh heard they serve up some decent lobstahs too

24. Dec 4, 2018 #54

Anton

Anton

Anton

this is where the forum shines. Simple, concise, informative

25. Dec 4, 2018 #55

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    I have been cruising Etsy, ebay and even Amazon (shudder), but for edged tools other than kitchen knives (wood butchering is another of my manias).

There are QUITE a few areas where people in Eastern Europe never left the artisanal stage, never had mass produced lowest common denominator crap kill off trade for the village blacksmith and his brother the cutler/their cousin the dagger hafter.

Look down around your ankles occasionally, not just at the heights. They say the best grain grows in ****...

There are plenty of adequate, workaday tools and kitchen knives of peasant level ergonomics (stupid or clumsy peasants STARVE TO DEATH, don't disrespect the tool design choices of the survivors out of hand) still being hand forged well enough so the neighbors who buy them come back for another, plus some absolute geniuses nobody knows about yet- And occasionaly, complete duds counting on you never coming to lower Slobovia and confronting them over their crap heat treat of old USSR military truck springs they have ground into the semblance of a tool.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  26. Dec 4, 2018 #56

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

Sakai is on the west (Pacific side) of Japan .... does that count?

27. Dec 4, 2018 #57

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

You are just too wild

28. Dec 4, 2018 #58

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

They said Western, so I guess it counts.

I'll allow it

29. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM #59

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

OT: I would have thought it was Vermont...