Why all the hype on JNat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

Reaction score
Just curious. Wondering what are their advantages compared to manmade whetstones?
I use whetstones made of white corundum and ceramic and they seem to be working fine. Or am I missing something?

The "hype" is easily explainable by the fact that Jnats have been around and used for hundreds of years and therefore can be referred as the original way, which is super awesome.
Also they smell like earth, were form millions of years ago, are all unique pieces and leave unique kasumi finishes.

The "hype" is easily explainable by the fact that Jnats have been around and used for hundreds of years and therefore can be referred as the original way, which is super awesome.
Also they smell like earth, were form millions of years ago, are all unique pieces and leave unique kasumi finishes.
so in terms of performance, how do jnats compare to man made stuff?

From a strictly sharpening performance viewpoint the syn win hands down. Almost all makers / sharpeners use synthetic over nat.

The right nats can be better polishers. Their strenght is the uniqueness and allowing the user "to become one with the stone".

If I'm sharpening for effectiveness I use synthetic, s&g or soakers depending on knife and preference. If I have plenty of time, and relaxing, and sharpening an appropriate knife, I'll use nats or finish on nats.

so in terms of performance, how do jnats compare to man made stuff?
It's more about the experience while sharpening than performance to me.

If you just want to get your knives sharp coticules will do just fine.
Most people start using Jnats after some time sharpening on synthetics, looking for a new feeling.

Also Jnats are a bit more difficult to use, you have to really understand what you are doing regarding slurry formation and pression on knife which would ultimately take your sharpening skills one step higher.

I really enjoy sharpening, and I find that I enjoy it a lot more on JNats. The feedback can be really expressive in a way I have not found from synthetics, and I think that helps me develop my skills.

Really like the edges I get from them, too, when testing on my thumb, especially with white and blue steels.

They are also much more interesting than synthetics. There's more to learn about your individual stone, and you come to have a relationship with it over time. The smell when sharpening is evocative and individual. JNats seem more likely to have multiple personalities, depending on your use of water, slurry, and pressure.

At some point, sharpening goes from "wow I'm learning this!" to "huh...this is a bit of a chore." When that moment hit me, I became more interested in naturals (of all origins), for variety and romance. When you want an edge with a subtle difference in bite/refinement for a different task, sometimes a natural will do that job very well (e.g. I like a really toothy, coarse edge for beef jerky, but like a mostly refined, but moderately toothy edge for veggie skins, and I heard raw fish benefits from a highly refined and slightly toothy edge). For a razor, I want a completely toothless, smooth edge with no bite at all. The naturals help with those shades of nuance, especially if it's a repeated cutting task where the enjoyment from a small difference adds up over time.

I've found simpler carbon steels with minimal alloying and very fine grain structure benefit most (White/Blue/52100/ others?). The following is pure speculation, but a pattern I've noticed: if you've got a steel that's manufactured and treated in a way that leaves larger ____-carbides, you don't get the same benefit from a natural stone - they're not really hard enough to abrade the large carbide chunks embedded in the larger steel matrix. If you were polishing concrete, it's possible to shape it pretty easily. However, embedded rocks (carbides) are a challenge. You can pop them out and leave a hole. If you have a really hard abrasive (diamond, CBN), you can abrade them and leave them sharp as opposed to pulling them out or abrading away all the material around it. But if you have a softer, natural stone, you don't really see the benefit on a highly alloyed steel (in my experience). I think there are some exception stainless steels like AEB-L from a high-quality maker, that can have a very fine grain structure, but I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on one.

From what I've seen, they're very helpful for a refined, frosty kasumi finish. If all you want is jigane/hagane contrast, a King 1000 will do great, but leave a very visible scratch pattern.

Natural stones, not just jnats, can, under certain circumstances, produce a completely different kind of sharpness. Plus, there's a different feeling when sharpening.

Personally, I found what I was looking for in Arkansas stones ... after many attempts.
I'd love to know which one you enjoy. I've been experimenting with Arks for a while. Want to love one, but haven't quite landed on one I like for knives. Old black Norton is pretty nice for my razor.

Edit: sorry for the overly long essay. Was sitting through a boring meeting.

Found a Hard Arkansas providing a refined though very toothy edge. After that only very few strokes needed to remove the last burr remnants with a Hard Black one. Both used with saliva.

Natural stones, not just jnats, can, under certain circumstances, produce a completely different kind of sharpness. Plus, there's a different feeling when sharpening.

Personally, I found what I was looking for in Arkansas stones ... after many attempts.

I've been using Arkansas stones for forty odd years. There are some steels that just do really well off of them. I don't have experience with Blue and White steels as I've long been a pocket and sporting knife guy who used primarily Wusthoff in the kitchen. But I have used them on my BD1N gyuto at 63HRC and VG10 from 58-60HRC and really like the edge. On simple steels I love a soft Arkansas and then strop.

I also love my blacks but just don't use them that much any more as I lean so much to less polished edges. Although, I will likely be playing around with mine on my new knife just to see what I think.

I'd love to know which one you enjoy. I've been experimenting with Arks for a while. Want to love one, but haven't quite landed on one I like for knives. Old black Norton is pretty nice for my razor.

Edit: sorry for the overly long essay. Was sitting through a boring meeting.

You may well know but Dan's Whetstones are top of the line. I've also had good luck with Natural Whetstone Company.

Washitas are essentially gone now or prohibitively expensive. Before I started playing with water stones, I would generally turn to a Crystolon or India if I needed to set an edge and then go to a good soft Ark. While I've never really had a bad soft Ark, I do have a favorite and it was my go-to. I could get by just fine right there and honestly have never warmed up to hard Arks. For me, the beauty is in the softs and the blacks. Well, translucent as well but they are essentially the same as blacks and just cost more.

Sorry to stray OT.

I found straight razors off of Jnats more comfortable and pretty sharp. Stropping on CBN brought the edge up to par with synths. Admittedly rubbing a four nagura progression on the stone is a lot more time consuming than running the razor on a synth progression, but it’s fun when I have the time. Gonna put the jnats to work on the knives soon so from that angle I have no experience, but looking forward to it.

Is there hype in JNats? Probably. But when you encounter a good JNat, it's usually unexplainably good... You spend so little effort but achieve so much, in polishing or sharpening.

I find mid-grit naturals easier to use as edge finishers on soft stainless butchery knifes.
Same for me. I have stainless knives and I find burr removal more difficult on synthetic stones. They're too fast, and unless you're super consistent and go heel-tip on every pass, it's likely that more burr will pop up while you're trying to reduce burr someplace else. For finishers the slowness of a natural stone is an advantage, and allows you to hone rather than sharpen.

I could improve my technique, but I'm a home cook sharpening once every few months, and I'm just not that invested. You could ask the same question about carbon knives - why the hype? And it would boil down to the same answers: aesthetics, specialness, and they're both more forgiving of mediocre sharpening technique.

It's also difficult to find the right ark.
At the end of the day, we're talking about natural stones and each stone can be slightly different.

I have had good experiences with Norton's NOS stock, as well as with Dan's, and sometimes with RH Preyda. I also tried Natural Whetstone Company but based on my own experience I cannot recommend this seller.

For me, the beauty is in the softs and the blacks.
That is also the case with me. With the black arks there are still differences, depending on the desired result (suitable for the application) you have to find the right one.

I'm still looking for the right Hart Arkansas, but it won't be anything this year. My shoulder surgery 8 months ago was a success, which means that I will be investing significantly more money in my home gym this year than in stones. And I'm very happy about that too.

Some like the edge you can get off a jnat, others like to spend the time polishing on a jnat for varied finishes you can get.

Natural stones leave very different edges to synths imo. You can have something extremely refined but toothy. Toothy edges tend to bite into product easier and stay sharper longer. You can effortlessly shave whilst also gliding through tomato skins. Naturals last substantially longer than synths too. When I first got a suita I thought it was far coarser than it was because of how toothy the edge was, but when I actually used the knife I immediately saw how good it was. I agree they work best on simpler steels, but I'm surprised not more people have this experience with the actual difference in sharpness and edge performance.

You can have something extremely refined but toothy.

C46E0B22-061D-466E-8090-0D3FCF1506E1.jpeg

I agree with @spaceconvoy regarding burr removal and characteristics of the burr.
Even on very fast cutting Jnats, like a Shobu I have, burr production, reduction, and removal is very different from any synthetic fine stone I've tried.

Many people talk about toothy yet refined edges. I agree they feel and act a little different, but I would say grabby more than toothy. Personally, I think it has more to do with the surface texture on the edge rather than teeth at the very apex.

There are definitely ways in which synths are better than jnats: thinning, faster sharpening.

I enjoy jnats for several reasons:

1. toothier yet refined edges (as already discussed);
2. less clogging, in general;
3. less dishing, in general;
4. tend to raise a smaller burr (easier deburring - more life out of the blade);
5. they usually are S&G;
6. better at polishing.

Really? I haven't had a chance to try Arkansas stones. Do you use them with oil?

Really? I haven't had a chance to try Arkansas stones. Do you use them with oil?

Yes. Some people say they are okay with water, others use soapy water, but mineral oil is the absolute best for Arkansas stones. It will keep the swarf floating and some will soak into the surface to help prevent clogging. Honing oil is the best as it is highly refined mineral oil and has almost no resistance when sharpening.

Back